Cave-stg.com photograph competition - Rules & Discussion thread

Started by EOJ, November 21, 2010, 09:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperPang

Quote from: Kaneda on November 24, 2010, 04:58:17 AM
I could dress up my dog to look like a mariachi band member and sit her in front of Dodonpachi and I'm sure it would look darling, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for.
That's exactly what I'm looking for  :laugh:

antares

Just posted my pic. It shows wall-filling Deathsmiles 2X bullet hell projected from my beamer aside my cab running DOJ 2-5 to get a feeling for how big the picture on the wall is.

emphatic

Quote from: antares on November 25, 2010, 03:31:32 PM
Just posted my pic. It shows wall-filling Deathsmiles 2X bullet hell projected from my beamer aside my cab running DOJ 2-5 to get a feeling for how big the picture on the wall is.

Wow!  :o That's huge.

EOJ

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Hive

Quote from: Kaneda on November 24, 2010, 04:58:17 AM
I could dress up my dog to look like a mariachi band member and sit her in front of Dodonpachi and I'm sure it would look darling, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for.

yes please! ^_^
Hive's "Colorphiles" Blog:  http://colorphiles.blogspot.com/

Dave_K.

You may want to clarify if photoshop'ing your pictures is allowed or not (such as changing the lighting, adding glows or other special effects, transitions with multiple pictures, etc.)

Personally, I think its more interesting/creative if shop'd pics were not allowed, like antares cool projection + cab.

EOJ

Yeah, no photoshop or other photo-editing software should be used. We're just judging creative photos. But you can use any effects built in your camera to take the picture.
My score archive

emphatic

Correcting the levels (black gray white) should be allowed as well as cropping/rotating pictures IMHO as it just presents the best possible version of the picture. But using filters in Photoshop, i.e. altering the "realness" of the picture by adding shadows, lens flares or any other stuff not in the picture when it's taken shouldn't be allowed.

EOJ

Cropping/resizing/rotating is all fine. Black/gray level adjustment sounds fine too.
My score archive

neomoe

great idea guys and a very generous prize!

I think I know exactly what I am gonna take a pic of.  It's one of the first cave games I ever played and this particular scene really kinda stuck with me after all these years.

...but first  I need to re-hook up my ps2 first (hint hint :))

Hive

neomoe

Hi guys,
just posted my entry!  It is the stage 3 boss fight from Ibara (ps2 port).  Ok, some of you may be thinking why the heck did I pick that game/scene considering it is one of the least popular ports.

Just to give some background, I only got into shmups relatively recently.  I was always much more of a fighting game fan.  Specifically, I love snk fighters on the Neo Geo.  One of the things I really appreciate about them, are the subtle attention to details in the graphics and artwork.

I had actually got a jpn ps2 mostly for fighting games.  Out of curiosity, I bought DDP DOJ for the ps2 basically on a whim without knowing much about it or Cave.  Naturally, I fell in love with the game pretty quickly and was eager to learn more about Cave.  I was very lucky...the 2nd Cave ps2 game I ended up getting was Ibara - I think I got it for around $90 just out of sheer luck and good timing.  Just from doing my research, I knew alot of people didn't like the game, but I thought it looked awesome so I kind of bought it on a leap of faith.

Despite it flaws, I loved the game right away (and still do).  Also, it was really at that point that I started paying attention to Cave and made a conscious effort to track down the other games and learn as much as I could about them.  For that reason, Ibara has a lot of sentimental value to me. 

I chose the stage 3 boss fight for my picture because I remember when I reach that point the first time, it was just after a massive fight w/ the train filled w/ explosions etc.  Then, just as you are getting prepped for the boss to arrive, you see a whole sea of birds flying across the screen.  I thought that was the coolest thing ever.  It reminded me alot of SNK's fighting game's creative artwork and mood setting, and just something I really appreciated - so I thought why not try and capture it for my photo submission :)

CRI

i made a pic from my 360 tate setup the day i got dfk that i really like.
but because it's just a pic i made for a "new game you got" thread it's maybe not good enough for the competition. (no dark background)

marus

I originally wanted to post something awe-inspiring or inspirational... but I couldn't think of anything, so in the end I just decided to safespot the last boss in Espgaluda II  :righton:

Even with the safespot it was still hard to set the camera correctly :P  I don't know how the rest of you all are doing it.

emphatic

Quote from: marus on December 13, 2010, 12:38:40 AM
I originally wanted to post something awe-inspiring or inspirational... but I couldn't think of anything, so in the end I just decided to safespot the last boss in Espgaluda II  :righton:

Even with the safespot it was still hard to set the camera correctly :P  I don't know how the rest of you all are doing it.

I really like the thumbup!

hipgnosis

Wanted to show the present state of shmup-gaming with my photo, Futari Black Label running in attract mode at home. Also check out the color matching candles and plant!  :laugh:

dorakyura

Took mine using Hipstamatic for iOS. I hope that's ok, since the filters are really part of the "camera". Simply ignore it for the competition otherwise ? maybe some will like it anyway :)

neomoe

Quote from: dorakyura on December 16, 2010, 09:33:35 AM
Took mine using Hipstamatic for iOS. I hope that's ok, since the filters are really part of the "camera". Simply ignore it for the competition otherwise ? maybe some will like it anyway :)

wow, that is an awesome pic

EOJ

Quote from: dorakyura on December 16, 2010, 09:33:35 AM

It's acceptable for the competition.  :righton:
My score archive

dorakyura

emphatic

Did someone try experimenting with the over-the-top graphics settings for Futari?

EOJ

Yeah, I'm surprised no one has submitted a photo with that yet.
My score archive

Hive

TheSoundofRed

Nabbed a shot with my iPhone 4 while playing Guwange 360 Mode. I had others that had more activity on the screen, but I like this one the best.

EOJ

I've been really impressed with the pics so far. Keep them coming!  :righton:
My score archive

twoup

I'm not after a free copy of anything but I wanted to contribute so I posted a good honest pic of getting killed by Hibachi while it's looking a bit like a flower (or maybe a tentacle monster heh).

I actually had this elaborate pic in mind and set up 3 tvs all with ddp doj (dvd, ps2 & 360) but then it all went to shit when I actually tried to do it. If the 360 version had some more options for the stage select I could have done it but oh well.

ookitarepanda

Put up a shot from Galuda for you guys to enjoy. x100s, a nice explosion, and some STATIC, bros.

emphatic

Quote from: ookitarepanda on December 19, 2010, 10:23:07 PM
Put up a shot from Galuda for you guys to enjoy. x100s, a nice explosion, and some STATIC, bros.

Love the PGM static!  :righton:

Monouchi

Finally put up a picture.
I wanted to show some more info about the "shmup world" so i wanted to include the full Egret II cab and the DFKBL Poster...but still have a focus on the screen.
The bullet pattern is my favourite pattern from the 1UP place in 3rd stage of DFK.

A black bedsheet is put up behind the cabinet with black towels at the floor.
You can also see the fishline that the poster is hanging by... :P

Playing with a wireless X360 pad and taking picture at the same time.