Ports you prefer to the PCBs

Started by EOJ, June 04, 2018, 10:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

Taking out all considerations of market value and collectability, I think the following ports are more enjoyable experiences than their corresponding PCBs, and if given a choice in which I could only have one of the two, I would in these cases choose the ports every time:

-Mushihimesama X360. The rapid fire options in the port are a big part of this, but the slowdown is also very accurate and the game looks gorgeous with the HD graphic overall. On the PCB you also cannot reset the high score table (through normal means), and some PCBs are bug-fixed while others aren't, which is annoying. I'll also add Matsuri Ver 1.5 here even though I have not played the PCB, simply because they removed the counterstop that made Maniac and Ultra modes uninspiring to play for score on the PCB.

-Espgaluda PS2 - Sprite flicker was removed, and the slowdown is very accurate. 240p output too!

There are some games I find equally enjoyable on both port and PCB. Deathsmiles is a good example (because Arcade mode is nearly a carbon copy of the PCB version). Espgaluda 2 is another -- I think 360 mode in E2 is in some ways an improvement over the PCB, but I still really enjoy the PCB because it has a slightly different feel.

Anyone else want to share their opinions on this topic?
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

ssfsx17

Guwange X360 - In some ways, it feels like the way the game was always meant to be played, with a twin-stick style

emphatic

Do-Donpachi Dai-Fukkatsu Black Label Arrange is mindbogglingly great. The music, the 10-chip falling constantly...
Do-Donpachi Sai-Daioujou XBox 360 Novice Expert is amazing IMHO.
And I know I'm surely in minority here, but ESPGALUDA II 360 Omake mode is my preferred version of the game overall. It just feels more in spirit like ESPGALUDA to me.

EOJ

You've brought up a slightly different, but related topic, that is no less interesting. In regard to port-exclusive versions, I really like MMP 1.01 and MMP Matsuri. I don't prefer either to the original PCB, but they are pretty fun. I could say the same about Pink Sweets 1.01. One I do prefer to an original PCB is Futari 1.01 -- it is unequivocally a better game than 1.0.
My score archive

SuperPang

Quote from: emphatic on June 06, 2018, 03:57:23 PM
Do-Donpachi Dai-Fukkatsu Black Label Arrange is mindbogglingly great. The music, the 10-chip falling constantly...
Do-Donpachi Sai-Daioujou XBox 360 Novice Expert is amazing IMHO.
And I know I'm surely in minority here, but ESPGALUDA II 360 Omake mode is my preferred version of the game overall. It just feels more in spirit like ESPGALUDA to me.

Do you play these in a cab emph?

I'm ashamed to say I've barely played any of these. I bought all the ports and only played them briefly. Playing shmups in the living room on a TV just feels off somehow when you're used to cabs. My 360 and Cave games now reside on a box but if I ever get another Vewlix I'm definitely going to tate it and give the likes of Ketsupachi my full attention.

Monouchi

I have all the 360 ports and play them in my Egret 3.
The HD ports looks and sounds great, especially SDOJ.

But I always always prefer to play on pcb, that crispy 15kHz and quick start-up just makes my J360 collect dust in my cab.
i do play on the ports occasionally for practice or try out those matsuri ver. (Yes, ketsuipachi is awesome.)

EOJ

Quote from: Monouchi on June 08, 2018, 04:25:27 AM

But I always always prefer to play on pcb, that crispy 15kHz and quick start-up just makes my J360 collect dust in my cab.

The initial start-up on a PCB is faster, but it is much faster to restart a botched run on an X360 port than on the PCB, especially in games that have an autobomb. DFK 1.5 (PCB) is infuriating in this regard!

I enjoy full runs on the PCB the most (with a few exceptions detailed in the OP), but when I am trying to learn new scoring patterns or practice bosses, etc, I prefer to play on the ports (training mode). So, for me, both ports and PCBs serve a purpose and they compliment one another.
My score archive

Monouchi

Oh yeah. no DFK 1.5 pcb here!    ....Autobomb-waiting-to-end-credit-thoughts... :mad:

Yes, as I said, I also use them for practice, so yes they compliment each other

I also must say that the SDOJ graphics doesnt look to be designed for 15kHz, the game looks very messy in that resolution. In HD it really shines. ( I wont even comment on the SDOJ pcb sound quality.)

EOJ

What do you think about Akai Katana? It is one of the few X360 ports with a full HD upgrade (instead of just the sprites). Do you prefer the look of the PCB or the X360 version?
My score archive

Monouchi

I have to try the AK port again to see how it looks like, but yes the AK pcb doesnt look good at 15kHz, some enemies works but many of the FX gets blurry etc...especially the moving background at the final boss.

I do have found out that the Cv1000 games often look better on a monitor with sharper scanlines.
For example DFK looks ok on a MS9 (Egret 2 monitor) but looks amazing on a Tosh PF (Egret 3 original monitor).
The darker scanlines on the Tosh PF makes DFK look super sharp...while the softer scanlines on the MS9 makes the game a bit "blurry".
The "blurry" is hard to describe, its like the pixels are not in the right spot to fit with the scanlines.

On the other hand, if you take Dodonpachi then that game looks super smooth and sharp on a MS9...but very blocky on a Tosh PF.

emphatic

Quote from: SuperPang on June 07, 2018, 07:31:09 AMDo you play these in a cab emph?

Yes. Running my 360 in 24kHz in an EGRET II. It gives you high res with soft scanlines, basically. I love the look.

Quote from: SuperPang on June 07, 2018, 07:31:09 AMI'm ashamed to say I've barely played any of these. I bought all the ports and only played them briefly. Playing shmups in the living room on a TV just feels off somehow when you're used to cabs. My 360 and Cave games now reside on a box but if I ever get another Vewlix I'm definitely going to tate it and give the likes of Ketsupachi my full attention.

I know what you mean. Just look at some nice footage of Ketsuipatchi on Youtube and enjoy the amazing soundtrack by Virt.

supabok

Out of curiosity what do you guys use to run x360 on your cab?
I've been dying to play DFK BL Arrange on mine.

cheers

Monouchi

360 in 640x480 mode into a Tosh PF tri-sync monitor with the 360 VGA cable.
Then two hacked 360 pads connected to Jamma, one extra button to the Home button so the 360 can be turned off from the control panel.
Sound directly connected to my cabs 2.1 system.

emphatic

Quote from: supabok on June 08, 2018, 07:27:00 PM
Out of curiosity what do you guys use to run x360 on your cab?
I've been dying to play DFK BL Arrange on mine.

If you have a tri-sync or high res monitor, follow monouchi's advice. I use a Ultracade Video Converter (that's unfortunately kinda rare these days) to downscale the 480p signal to 15 or 24kHz (it can do both) and use a PS360 PCB from akishop for controls. If you are OK with flickering menus, you can go the 480i route too, using an Advanced Scart cable from Microsoft and a scart to jamma solution for video. Like monouchi, my cabinets have 2.1 systems for audio, so no biggie getting great audio.

supabok

thanks for the handy info guys. Will have to get myself sorted on this!