Deathsmiles 2 [CAVE PCB, 2009]

Started by EOJ, January 06, 2009, 12:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

PS definitely IS the black sheep in Cave's catalog. At the recent Cave festival it was the only recent game that wasn't on display, for example, and as you mentioned it's the only recent Cave game not to get a superplay release (though MMP didn't get a proper one either).
The problem with PS is 1)it's ridiculously difficult, 2) you basically have to break the game (max out rank, get infinite lives) if you want to score well, 3) you have to milk everything for about 80minutes (seriously, that's how long a 1 credit clear lasts with full milking), but the milking is basically just ticking away with your shot on midbosses and bosses, and 4)it's buggy and can randomly freeze in the later levels. Hardly a formula that appeals to most shooting fans.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

gsl

Wasn't there a superplay DVD for MMP with the soundtrack?  Or is that what you mean by it not being a "proper" release?

EOJ

Yes, that's what I mean. The MMP "superplay" is pretty lame - only a 2-ALL, and only with one character. It's also over 100 mil less than the WR.  :whyioughtta:
My score archive

drboom

I really hope they keep Yagawa on. There's so much that's good about his games that there has to be something they think they can use him for. Although, if he gets let go, I wonder if we might see him start something new, new company, new titles with another company. Can't imagine him getting out after so many good titles.

Monouchi

Quote from: EOJ on January 19, 2009, 09:03:48 PM
I'm hoping for a vertical Deathsmiles.

Me too.
I love Hori shooters, but for me vert feels more "Cave".  :-X

EOJ

Blurb about DS2 on Cave's AOU2009 page:

http://cave-gameshow.cocolog-nifty.com/aou2009/

They say the graphic designs are once again by Joker Jun, and the music is by Namiki.
It will be PLAYABLE, and they say each stage will be gorgeous.

Since they explicitly say it is a direct continuation from Death Smiles, it looks like this will be another hori. Which I don't mind really - I've
really taken a shine to DSMBL so another game of that quality would be great. No mention of any new hardware (but that's not really something they'd mention).

Keep an eye on that blog, they'll likely pop a pic or two up soon as they've done before with previous games.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

I'll be in your hood about that time, so I won't be attending.  Not too bothered though.  I'm not into the crowds.  They're dickheads about filming as well now, which is when I realized they had sold their souls.

PROMETHEUS

Quote from: EOJ on January 20, 2009, 01:51:27 PMThe problem with PS is 1)it's ridiculously difficult, 2) you basically have to break the game (max out rank, get infinite lives) if you want to score well, 3) you have to milk everything for about 80minutes (seriously, that's how long a 1 credit clear lasts with full milking), but the milking is basically just ticking away with your shot on midbosses and bosses, and 4)it's buggy and can randomly freeze in the later levels. Hardly a formula that appeals to most shooting fans.
PS is the one Cave I have never played and you make it sound like it's a really terrible game here :p I hate bugs and milking ^^

Anyway, I really like the idea of a new DeathSmiles though like you I hope it will be "high" res on a new hardware because DeathSmiles looked terrible with so much detail in low res, I think... I hope it will be harder too.

EOJ

Quote from: PROMETHEUS on February 03, 2009, 08:02:14 PM
Quote from: EOJ on January 20, 2009, 01:51:27 PMThe problem with PS is 1)it's ridiculously difficult, 2) you basically have to break the game (max out rank, get infinite lives) if you want to score well, 3) you have to milk everything for about 80minutes (seriously, that's how long a 1 credit clear lasts with full milking), but the milking is basically just ticking away with your shot on midbosses and bosses, and 4)it's buggy and can randomly freeze in the later levels. Hardly a formula that appeals to most shooting fans.
PS is the one Cave I have never played and you make it sound like it's a really terrible game here :p I hate bugs and milking ^^

I think PS is pretty good actually, it's just very strange and will only really appeal to a small group of people. It requires a lot of time to get to grips with the game, but it was good enough that I put a lot of time into it. If you don't like tons of milking and insane rank that never reduces, then you won't like it. The freezing bug isn't a big deal as it happens rarely and there is a fixed PCB out there you can buy (or upgrade your PCB to) if you want.
My score archive

adverse

Here we go folks.

First information trickling in about the game.

CAVE's AOU blog says that Windia is returning.  Looking at that illustration, so is Casper.  The setting of the game is apparently Christmas.

Get hype!

rtw

Thanks for the info adverse!

Looking at the title screen it's NOT in hires...

rtw
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work

PROMETHEUS

Quote from: rtw on February 06, 2009, 07:04:54 AM
Looking at the title screen it's NOT in hires...
Let's hope they dumb down the details this time then...
I think low res fails with Death Smiles, but also Futari and Muchi Muchi Pork. Futari still manages to look good, but has this slight dirty feel the first time you play it. Death Smiles and Muchi Muchi Pork just look terrible in my opinion. Somehow DDP DFK doesn't seem to suffer from low res much in my eyes.
I'm sure all Caves would look a lot better in higher res though.

Monouchi

Yes, High res is the future (IMO), DS 360 high res looks so very nice!  :o

But can Caves newest game-engine take High res?

EOJ

Oh man, I'm a sucker for Christmas-themed games, as well as games with wintry/snowy levels.
So far it's looking like this is low res, so it's probably on the SH3-b hardware. It's also a hori, judging from the title screen dimensions.

They also say the game will take place one month after DS, in "Christmas Jitterbug Land". New characters will be introduced.

PS-All of CAVE's games look awesome in low res (including MMP, which looks stellar).
My score archive

adverse

Quote from: EOJ on February 06, 2009, 12:53:16 PM
Oh man, I'm a sucker for Christmas-themed games, as well as games with wintry/snowy levels.

Haha, Christmas Nights ftw.

Man, I really like the promo artwork for the game.  Looks really nice. 

Hopefully this game will give CAVE the arcade boost that it could use, since it will probably be timed somewhat near DS360.  They're smart to release a sequel at the same time.  Hopefully Ketsui 2 won't be too far behind.

Gwyrgyn

It looks cute, but being the grinch I am, they're going to have to do a REALLY good job for me to not hate it for the Christmas factor.

Of course if the theme is more like Nightmare Before Christmas then maybe it will be pretty awesome.

EOJ

In the pic posted above they have a blurb on the side that says it's a "Christmas Nightmare" in "Jitterbug Land", so it sounds like it might be similar to what you're hoping for, Gwyrgyn.
My score archive

EOJ

Here's an idea: they are releasing a Christmas-themed shooter this late spring/early summer (assuming a May-June release date) because they will release a hi-resified X360 port for Christmas 2009.
My score archive

KOMA

DS2 "a la Nightmare Before Christmas" will be awesome.In joker jun i trust.
I assume it is a Sh-3 again.....great!

EOJ

I don't know too much about resolutions, but a guy on 2Ch posted something interesting here:

http://schiphol.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/gamestg/1232496300/206

He says DS2's vertical resolution is 285, while the limit for 15khz is 262. 31Khz can do 525, but he thinks that would be
too much to use if you're just displaying 285. Can anyone clear this up? Is this the same resolution as other SH3 games?
Another guy says it simply cannot be 15khz because 15khz can't display 285 vertical lines.
My score archive

Ast-Kot

I've read the same thing EOJ and I asked to my friend that know a lot about things like this how it's possible :)
あの痛みが君の事を守ってくれた、その痛みがいつも君を守っているんだ

rtw

EOJ

Ah, so it's just part of the SH3 hardware. Isn't 282x352 a weird resolution? Any idea why they use it?
My score archive

Ast-Kot

Maybe if you guys wacth your pcb sistem bios we can know how is the real definition of the past cave games...I think that 282x352 is a weird resolution too. Maybe there's some difference of resolution between hori and vert games? :)

EOJ

I think all the SH3 games have the same resolution (hori & vert). I've owned them all, and never noticed one to be different from the next in this regard.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

That is their standard resolution.... at least that's what I've heard.

I popped into Mak yesterday and over the usual banter asked them if they knew anything.  They said no information was given out, but on the business day they usually ask AMI what's the hardware and whatnot.

And you guys that think their games look bad b/c they're low res -- quit smoking crack.  They all look excellent... and the hardware is clearly being pushed, so until they're on substantially stronger hardware, we won't see 480p or higher.  Cave knows they're not catering to the w00t! h!rez demographic.

Ast-Kot

I've never thought that Cave's games look bad, I didn't Know that the resolution of muhihimesama or other games is low as 282x352 ;)

rtw

adverse

Pretty annoying interview with the main developer of the game up at the AOU blog here:

http://cave-gameshow.cocolog-nifty.com/aou2009/2009/02/ii-7c03.html

The only real info he drops between telling the interview that you'll have to play the game to see what's new is that

1) Elements of the DS1 system are continued in the sequel

2) The game is indeed on new hardware, and this allows it to be a bit different 'CAVE shooting'.  No further details.

Lunchbox

Who is the main developer? Is the same that in the previous one?
No arcades in Spain.