Dodonpachi Saidaioujou [Cave 2012, ARCADE]

Started by joeks, December 21, 2011, 02:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimingTripod40

Quote from: eojx9999 on June 30, 2012, 07:28:46 AM
I guess C-E is the hardest to score with?
Without the "special technique", maybe.  :laugh:

EOJ

In the interview Ikeda also said they spent a long time play-testing the game and bug-fixing to insure they wouldn't need any further revisions (1.5, BL, etc). He said they learned from Akai Katana and Deathsmiles II, both of which were rushed for arcade release and ended up with various revisions either in the arcade or in the home ports. Keep in mind he did this interview after the "special technique" video came to light.

Also interesting that neither IKD nor Arcadia make any mention of the "Inbachi" (the supposed TLB for autobomb OFF). They only talk about Hibachi.

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Erppo

The game is not bugged, it's just special!

Noiryt

Would this be worthy of being my first PCB purchase? The fact that it is the only method of playing it, I like the graphics/art style and the game play sounds promising is having me consider it.

I don't intend to collect PCBs, I would like to have something special permanently in the cabinet I'm getting.

Muchi Muchi Spork

I'd recommend looking for a cheap ($20 range) tested working Jamma board on ebay to use as a cab tester before plugging in an expensive board, especially if you have never owned one before. Then you'll have it to test with in the future when you change stuff around or make a supergun or get another cab etc. Other than that, well nobody can tell you how much you are going to like it. It's definitely not the most bang for the buck out of the available games. It's expensive as all hell. You could get several older Cave boards for the same cost.

brentsg

Quote from: Noiryt on July 09, 2012, 07:40:54 AM
Would this be worthy of being my first PCB purchase? The fact that it is the only method of playing it, I like the graphics/art style and the game play sounds promising is having me consider it.

I don't intend to collect PCBs, I would like to have something special permanently in the cabinet I'm getting.

It seems a relatively expensive way to test the PCB waters.  It also seems a fairly difficult game to begin with, but I don't know your past experience with the games.

Noiryt

*sorry for slightly derailing the topic

I've a decent amount of experience with Cave's stgs. I own a PAL region 360 and every Cave release playable on it, including the region free Japanese releases. What I can't play this way I've played on PS2, Saturn and MAME.

If I were to choose a game for my cabinet that I have played it would definitely be Ketsui, I love it and can play it reasonably well.

My problems with the Dodonpachi series are that most of them require heavy memorization to score effectively. I'm more of a reactive player and find learning the exact entry positions of enemies throughout several levels to be daunting. So I find Everything up to and including Dai-ou-jou to be frustrating scoring wise. However I am quite good at Resurrection/Daifukkatsu and really enjoy that as keeping the chain going is much more feasible for me. If Sai-dou-jou is similar I would probably like it a lot.

An important thing for me would be that the game I purchase isn't playable as a port on my PAL region 360.

The advice about getting a cheap PCB first makes a lot of sense for testing purposes and if it could also be something I would have fun playing that is a bonus.

Cost matters but I'm willing to shell out a fair amount if I can justify it.

TimingTripod40

Quote from: Noiryt on July 10, 2012, 04:51:27 AM
My problems with the Dodonpachi series are that most of them require heavy memorization to score effectively. I'm more of a reactive player and find learning the exact entry positions of enemies throughout several levels to be daunting. So I find Everything up to and including Dai-ou-jou to be frustrating scoring wise. However I am quite good at Resurrection/Daifukkatsu and really enjoy that as keeping the chain going is much more feasible for me. If Sai-dou-jou is similar I would probably like it a lot.
SDOJ only reduces your hit counter to 70% after a chain break rather than wiping it out entirely like the other games so yeah, it is a bit more forgiving in that respect. From what I've seen it actually seems to play a little like Deathsmiles as a big part of the scoring aside from the chaining is to time the ending of your hypers when there's a lot of bullets onscreen to quickly recharge.

It needs to be said though that while I used to have a similar view to your own, once I actually sunk some time into Cave's other games which have been praised for the room they give you to improvise I realized there isn't much of a difference. Once you get to a certain level in Espgaluda II, for example the game is very much about finding an exact route through the game and then trying to follow it as best as possible while getting screwed in a big way for every mistake, not unlike DOJ. The only real difference is that Cave's other games sort of allow you to ease yourself in to the system rather than throwing you to the wolves right from the start.

x91

Our latest news, WC. just counterstopped Expert with Type-A last night, the score is 648,049,969,902. Thread link: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1728065615

EOJ

Nice achievement! About half the current WR, I think.
My score archive

cstarflare

The record is over 1 trillion now? Damn.

EOJ

Indeed. Refer back to this post to see a video with A-E that goes over 1.2 trillion.
My score archive

Van_Artic

speaking of that..

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18383861

these people are sure hungry for scores aren't they?

TimingTripod40

Shalashaska

Man...that was some crazy dodging.  :righton:  That score increase once the bug/feature kicks in is even crazier!  :o

moozooh

I've looked at some of the recent videos and scores and revised my theoretical estimate for a perfect scoring route for ships that can follow it (I'm assuming A-L/A-S and at least B-L should qualify; other ships may or may not fall a couple billion behind). Some speculation and wishful thinking ahead.

Through stages 1 to 4: up to 9 billion.
Stage 5 alone: up to 13 billion, might be more depending on the hyper recharge and activation timing.
No-miss/no-bomb/st5 chain bonuses: 1..7 billion, assuming neither additional bonuses for running max bomb multiplier through the TLB nor more expensive life cash-in for an Inbachi clear.
Hibachi kill: 6 (1+5) billion.
Inbachi kill: 15 (5+10) billion.

Theoretical maximum thus seems to be at around 44 billion for an Inbachi clear and 35 billion for a Hibachi clear, assuming perfect survival. Not particularly fond of stage 5 once again being more expensive than all other stages combined, but at least this time there's a clear scoring incentive to fight and kill either TLB.

Clover-TAC has got a 33.2 billion Hibachi clear, so I'm assuming he's got pretty close to flawless performance but lost a life at Hibachi, or maybe he used bombs for rank control throughout the game to no-miss Hibachi. I wonder if he consciously hasn't gone for Inbachi yet to earn a strong score foothold first; in real world it'd likely get him about 37?38 billion for a very high risk of losing everything in case he couldn't survive the second form. A superplay DVD, if released, would likely show 40 billion Inbachi clears with A-S and B-L. An Expert Inbachi clear would be interesting to see if only for the thrill of NMNB'ing the entire game. I bet it'd be a low-score clear, heh.
<dan76> As it is I'll have to endure high res - life's hard.

EOJ

Some old pics from April 2012 I found on my hdd, grabbed from Cave's old blog site (no longer active). It shows Cave prepping the first batch of PCB kits for shipping. That table of 40 SDOJ PCBs would be worth about $200,000 USD these days!

Looks like a lighter and a pack of smokes at the top right of the table.  :oogle:

My score archive

Muchi Muchi Spork

Supposedly they repurposed old stock pcbs on it and used different versions of the hardware on them, though I've never seen any proof of that whatsoever. I wonder why some of those pcbs have a sticker on the U13 and some don't though.

EOJ

Quote from: Muchi Muchi Spork on May 19, 2018, 06:57:23 PM
Supposedly they repurposed old stock pcbs on it and used different versions of the hardware on them, though I've never seen any proof of that whatsoever.

Probably unsold Akai Katana kits. It must have been a CV1000-D game, in any case.

They reprogrammed a lot of boards for different releases. For example, many of the MFBL PCBs I've seen (including my old one) had CA016 on a chip; this same code was found on Muchi Muchi Pork PCBs (released earlier that same year). See pics below (my old MMP at top, my old MFBL at bottom). I suspect MFBL was (in part) an effort to sell the surplus of MMP PCBs at a higher price.

My score archive

Muchi Muchi Spork

I wish that MMB stood for Muchi Muchi Black Label  :cool:

I heard when the sale days were done for Akai Katana Limited, they destroyed the unsold stock (trashed the art and repurposed the boards). Crazy, that's about all you can say about it.

EOJ

Look what came in the mail today.  =D

It's been 6 years since I played the PCB. First things I've noticed: 1)the lack of input lag makes the PCB so much easier (and more enjoyable) to play, 2)Stage 5 in the port seems to have a lot of extra slowdown compared to the PCB.

I bought this partly for my PCB/port slowdown comparison project, so I'll have to play some more to find all the differences.
My score archive

Monouchi

Wow, some serious shopping.  :)
Did you get the YJ complete kit?

EOJ

It was pretty pricey indeed, but that's the way it goes with this game. I'm debating whether or not to sell the box and art. That would make the PCB a bit more affordable!

Playing the game without the added input lag in the port is a revelation. It makes it so much easier to dodge the boss patterns. I think I had gotten so used to the port I forgot what the PCB plays like.  :displeased:
My score archive

Monouchi

Nice, congratz on the buy. Yeah, the box and art is worth a lot...but sooo nice to have a  complete SDOJ kit. ;)

Agree on the port input lag. I tried to ignore it when practicing on the port but having the pcb in the cab next to it made it very obvious.

EOJ

Epilogue:

My SDOJ PCB kit was the most money I've ever spent on a video game. I thought I would try it out for a bit, document the slowdown differences, and then sell it. However, after playing it a few weeks I found I truly love the game on PCB and now I doubt I will ever sell it.  :o Every time I start a credit I get a rush of joy that is hard to replicate with any other game except Muchi Muchi Pork. I even prefer the original 240p graphics now.

I really hope M2 ports this to PS4 with the original graphics as an option and the input lag added on the X360 version removed. Maybe then I would sell the PCB!

As for the slowdown in the port, I've noticed large amounts of added slowdown not just in stage 5 but also throughout stage 4 and parts of stage 3. As a result the stages are a LOT easier in the port, even with the input lag. The bosses are harder though (due to the lag) and have pretty accurate slowdown emulation. So it's a mixed bag. Anyway, more details as I find them.
My score archive

SH4R4KU

I'd suggest you never sell it. (have you?)

I'd love an M2 release, on Switch or PS4, but realistically there's always going to be some lag.

EOJ

My score archive

SH4R4KU

Joe T.

:cool:

SuperPang

Quote from: Joe T. on January 31, 2020, 02:39:13 PM
I recently heard a rumor that this is coming out for EXA in 2020. I have no way to confirm, just know people who know people  :whyioughtta:. Anyone else heard about this?
Cave are developing for the platform and have hinted there are bees in their first release so SDOJ BL/EXA is a safe bet. DDP Maximum is a possibility I guess but I'd rather the former.