Cave starts making NESiCA arcade games

Started by EOJ, May 30, 2012, 12:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

http://www.cave-stg.com/?p=2003

You can't buy PCBs for this system and play them at home, right?
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

AntiFritz

The Nesica system requires a Japanese ip address afaik to function, so I wouldn't say so.

Muchi Muchi Spork

They won't even be backed up. Not by anyone who will ever share. Guess SDOJ is it for me. Very sad news.

EOJ

I wonder if they'll port SDOJ there, or some 1.5/BL version of it with HD graphics.

Anyway, the SH3 had a good run. :)
My score archive

Muchi Muchi Spork

Best single hardware arcade game library ever.

I'll have to see what their next port system is or if they stick with the 360 and begrudgingly buy it. I don't understand how they would dick over so many of their hardcore fans though. The whole home arcade sector just got a giant dildo in the ass. Huge. I mean that thing is big.

EOJ

I think they stuck with SH3 as long as they could and making more of their own hardware didn't make financial sense for them anymore. Sign of the times. At least they'll still be making arcade shooters which will hopefully be ported soon after.
My score archive

Muchi Muchi Spork

They could have used something that didn't require a Japanese IP address online. That's a straight up dick move. Worst system ever. The middle finger to the world outside of Japan and all home arcade people, who continually pay $2,000 a game every time they release one. Now they've made it so hard that $2,000 won't cut it. No amount of money will. Can't even buy their t-shirt anymore unless you physically travel to Japan. It's wack.

TimingTripod40

Wouldn't the Japanese IP thing also make it so foreign arcades couldn't run their new games? I agree that's a really dumb move if so. The foreign PCB market is obviously pretty small but 2k+ a pop isn't something to joke about.

THE

My guess is, they use NESiCA only for re-ports of their x360 "HD" titles back to the arcade. Those x360->PC ports can be done within 1-2 weeks.

For new shmups it's a bad platform (very small install base/very expensive setups/not all HD cabs are tate-able etc.).

I assume that they work together with someone else (G.rev) on a new PCB. I hope they borrowed our JAMMA/JVS concept that we sent to them in November, it's very good :-[
The future is 2D

AntiFritz

Quote from: TimingTripod40 on May 30, 2012, 04:30:11 AM
Wouldn't the Japanese IP thing also make it so foreign arcades couldn't run their new games? I agree that's a really dumb move if so. The foreign PCB market is obviously pretty small but 2k+ a pop isn't something to joke about.
Technically foreign arcades aren't allowed to run their games anyway, cave don't really mind too much though.

MikeNeko

You can VPN your way through, but it will take a long time to download... and i don't like the platform anyway (like all pc-based arcade hw).
I hope they make the transition to a new dedicated platform for future shmups, it would make sense for protection sake, and help reliability (after DS2 i am sure this is a key point for them).

Van_Artic

i had the feeling that this was going to happen (i called it first actually during some conversations with random people weeks ago so yeah  :whyioughtta: ) very nice to hear
we could finally see what they can do with the TypeX2 system

SuperPang

Sad news for collectors if all future releases are digital distribution but good for Cave, at least I hope so. I hear Taito are the only ones who make good money out of NESICA. A port of Shin is easy money though.

Quote from: THE on May 30, 2012, 05:10:12 AM
I assume that they work together with someone else (G.rev) on a new PCB. I hope they borrowed our JAMMA/JVS concept that we sent to them in November, it's very good :-[
This might not be as crazy as it sounds. G.rev has been asking questions on Facebook about what arcade hardware people own and have an announcement on June 4th. Arcadia says Cave have another collaboration to announce next month. That would be too good to be true, surely?

THE

Quote from: SuperPang on May 30, 2012, 07:50:08 AM
This might not be as crazy as it sounds. G.rev has been asking questions on Facebook about what arcade hardware people own and have an announcement on June 4th. Arcadia says Cave have another collaboration to announce next month. That would be too good to be true, surely?

Well it was an educated guess. I participated in the g.rev poll too and G.rev was mentioned in our JAMMA system pitch. It's probably just a random coincidence. G.rev is polygon only and Cave isn't experienced with polygons, I'm not sure whether both could work on the same platform. At least the E3 day on 4th is now finally interesting...

Our hardware is basically a successor to the NEOGEO and cv1000, I think it would be an ideal choice for Cave. But Japanese companies are always so difficult in everything...
The future is 2D

Tokyo-J

Quote from: THE on May 30, 2012, 08:34:29 AM
Quote from: SuperPang on May 30, 2012, 07:50:08 AM

Well it was an educated guess. I participated in the g.rev poll too and G.rev was mentioned in our JAMMA system pitch. It's probably just a random coincidence. G.rev is polygon only and Cave isn't experienced with polygons, I'm not sure whether both could work on the same platform. At least the E3 day on 4th is now finally interesting...

Our hardware is basically a successor to the NEOGEO and cv1000, I think it would be an ideal choice for Cave. But Japanese companies are always so difficult in everything...

Excuse me for my Noobie Ignorance. I registered here just to ask you.

What hardware are you talking about?

THE

Quote from: Tokyo-J on May 30, 2012, 09:53:51 AM
Excuse me for my Noobie Ignorance. I registered here just to ask you.

What hardware are you talking about?

In the upper part about a fictional new hardware by Cave/G.rev and in the lower part about our new custom JAMMA hardware platform.
The future is 2D

Tokyo-J

One of the first things I thought about when they announced they will be using this hardware is that maybe they plan on releasing legacy titles on the system like SNK did. I doubt that unreleased XBLA port of Dangun Feveron would take long to put out on this system.

THE

G.rev @ facebook
QuoteG.rev Ltd. Thanks for the links. Unfortunately, the rather nifty theory posed in the cave-stg board is merely coincidence. We were asking about the PCBs for future reference, but not for the purposes to which the board poster had speculated. The purpose we are considering is still in its (extremely) early stages, and it sounds like Cave has something more immediately.

Btw. the new theme is harder to read than Ibara  :oogle:
The future is 2D

SuperPang

Tesuman

I dunno...

After all, Cave was amongst the initial partner lineup when the TypeX launched...

deexor

Hi - long time lurker, first time poster.

Saw this monster at Taito Station in Akihabara today:

Unfortunately I did not notice the sign forbidding photography, so I accidentally took the pic, before the gentleman instructed me not to do so any more. There was also a sign telling of a network test lasting until 4th of July or something of that sort, but that did not make it to the picture.

I tried it for a credit, felt mostly identical to the X360 version. The cab had Sanwa stick and buttons, which made it a little hard to tell, and caused a bunch of mistakes.

EOJ

I heard long ago the Nesica version of Akai Katana Shin wasn't a simple 1:1 port, but rather CAVE made various gameplay tweaks (as they have in the past when porting other home console arrange modes to the arcade, eg. Ibara Arrange > Kuro).

Recently I've been searching on Twitter among Japanese AK Shin Nesica players, and found two posts detailing differences. First, the steel and gauge increase rates are different in the Nesica version:

https://twitter.com/STG44118260/status/1191629801808809984

Second, the TLB has a bomb barrier around it in the Nesica version (in other words, bombs don't work on it), which wasn't present in the X360 ver.

https://twitter.com/zakuro4423/status/949251929019793408

There may be more differences.
My score archive

SuperPang

Interesting. I've been playing it lately but didn't play the Xbox version nearly enough to be able to spot any differences. It's a good game and it's growing on me but it's one of those where I'd rather be playing the original. Quite impressive how they came up with such a different gameplay system and adapted everything for widescreen though.

rtw

The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work

EOJ

Thanks for that link, rtw! It is a nice write-up of the different modes/versions of Akai Katana. However, it does not describe any differences between the X360 and Nesica versions of Shin.
My score archive

rtw

Quote from: EOJ on January 08, 2020, 03:29:31 AM
Thanks for that link, rtw! It is a nice write-up of the different modes/versions of Akai Katana. However, it does not describe any differences between the X360 and Nesica versions of Shin.

You are right, it does not :(

This comment is incorrect:

Additionally, the game uses the original arcade graphics, rather than the HD versions from the port

All the graphics in the Nesica version are HD.
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work

buffi

Anyone know how this plays?
I've heard stories of input lag on Taito Type X2 devices, but don't really know how much it affects games like Akai Katana on it.

el_rika

Input lag will always affect shmups that rely on high precission moevement, like Cave shmups. If mame can output low lag in SH3 emulation, i imagine a native port should be no different on a tried and tested machine.

thegreathopper

I have been playing AK on X2 and although loving it still have no idea what's going on,  :) the D button I find confusing and prefer to ignore it so far.

Looks really great in wide screen.