Dodonpachi Saidaioujou [Cave 2013, JP X360]

Started by Korszca, August 24, 2012, 01:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimingTripod40

Are there even any 99m+ runs on the Guwange leaderboard?

Orochi S

Quote from: Daverost on August 25, 2012, 09:49:46 AM
I just hope it's region-free or they find a new western publisher. Last I heard, RSG wasn't doing any more Cave games.

Where did you hear that RSG weren't doing more Cave games? That'd be a real shame.

jyumi

Quote from: TimingTripod40 on August 28, 2012, 09:57:42 AM
Are there even any 99m+ runs on the Guwange leaderboard?

Nope. The highest is around 70,300,000 in arcade mode.

But judging how high the arrange mode scores are (well over 99mil), they could have fixed it.
youtube: Ghostezra
general: Tyjet Poison

Monouchi

"Cave announced that the Xbox 360 port of the arcade shooter DoDonPachi Saidaioujou will not include Kinect support, due to lack of support from Japanese players."

Oh really.

Korszca

Stompp

Yup, actually since they added it in Instant Brain. Not the same kind, I know, and really Kinect for a shooter  ???

mdsfx

Quote from: Monouchi on August 29, 2012, 01:27:37 PM
"Cave announced that the Xbox 360 port of the arcade shooter DoDonPachi Saidaioujou will not include Kinect support, due to lack of support from Japanese players."

Oh really.

You've got to be kidding. I would imagine using Kinect to play just about any STG would be one hell of a frustrating experience.

Softdrink 117

How would that even... I just don't understand why they felt compelled to point this out.

I mean, when I play shooters the first and most important consideration is always motion control. Obviously. XD

Regardless, it seems like this is well on its way to becoming an awesome port, so I'm super excited.

ssfsx17

It's possible that Microsoft tried to pay Cave money just to require the Kinect.

EOJ

Let's remember Microsoft Japan and Cave have a very good, long standing relationship. Cave is probably their best loyal Japanese company. Asada has said he's interested in Kinect before, and now, Smartglass. He likes to experiment with these new technologies, and he implemented Kinect controls in the DDP port. That apparently wasn't used by enough people to make implementing such controls in SDOJ worth their time.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Softdrink 117

Quote from: eojx9999 on September 01, 2012, 02:05:15 AM
Let's remember Microsoft Japan and Cave have a very good, long standing relationship. Cave is probably their best loyal Japanese company. Asada has said he's interested in Kinect before, and now, Smartglass. He likes to experiment with these new technologies, and he implemented Kinect controls in the DDP port. That apparently wasn't used by enough people to make implementing such controls in SDOJ worth their time.

Very true. I must admit I'm really curious what ideas he has for Smartglass, as it looks like it'll offer a lot of very interesting options to developers.

For a company that caters to such a dedicated and particular fanbase, Cave has done an impressive job of innovating when it comes to hardware and interface technology in the last couple years. If somebody had told me two years ago that I'd be enjoying STGs on my iPhone I wouldn't have believed it.

Daverost

Quote from: Orochi S on August 28, 2012, 11:43:43 AM
Where did you hear that RSG weren't doing more Cave games? That'd be a real shame.

I haven't seen it myself, but the information was second-hand from the shmup thread on GameFAQs's 360 board.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927749-xbox-360/62889408/704788132
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927749-xbox-360/62889408/704810372
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927749-xbox-360/62889408/704854378

Full topic is here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927749-xbox-360/62889408

Starts at post #172, but that's pretty much all that was important.

I couldn't find the article on their website (their search system is an absolute mess), so take that as you will. Like I said, "last I heard." It's pretty much hearsay until someone else confirms.

Van_Artic

Shalashaska

:o at those patterns.  The final one is like a death mix of DOJ stage 3 boss' final pattern + DOJ Hibachi final pattern + some extra WTF thrown in.

It'd be nice if we could fight her via practice mode in the upcoming port for fun. I was sad I'll never be able to fight Zatsuza outside of Novice.

EOJ

Inbachi was discovered a long time ago, but I think this is the first video of it. I'm impressed that you get 5 bil for beating the first form, and 10 bil for beating the second form. 15 bil on this boss alone is a pretty good incentive to fight it, at least for the non-EX ship types. It looks pretty damn hard though.
My score archive

AweOfShe

Hot damn, that's one hell of a fight. =D

Though, I doubt I'd be able to even handle Hibachi as it is, much less Inbachi. :laugh:
XBox Live - AweOfShe1

slateman

My friend introduced me to DP/DDP via MAME a long time ago and I was *HOOKED*.

DOJ - Imported day 1.  Still my fave ever.

DFK - Had to wait until earlier this year to get it.  That was 9 years without a new DDP.  Waited 4 years from DFK's release to play it.

If SDOJ is available even a year or two after ('course I'm a broke fool hoping for localization) - that's AWESOME! 

SO psyched about this.  Cannot express how much.

www.slateman.net/beestorm/
www.peacefuldeath.net

moozooh

Quote from: jyumi on August 27, 2012, 09:08:39 PMWas there ever a time when Cave fixed arcade bugs in their ports?

Weren't a couple rare bugs fixed for Ketsui?

Besides, the two other counterstops are only achievable by flawless play throughout the entire game and one of them does require killing the TLB so they're not nearly as game-breaking as safely hoarding hypers for stage 5, executing a three-minute-long route, and going for the easiest of the three endings to seal the victory.
<dan76> As it is I'll have to endure high res - life's hard.

ptoing

Ketsui was not ported by Cave tho, right?

Anyway, I doubt they will fix this bug thing in SDOJ. And anyone can say what they want, I think it is a bug. The fact that it jumps from what looks to be the signed integer threshold to the 9s looks very buggy to me. Also the fact that the amount of score you get from those 30 seconds of score boost totally negate even killing Inbachi for a measly 15+ bil points. Unless of course you can get that score rush and then kill Inbachi as well, to get that extra few points boost to get a WR.

Not that I am on the level to ever get there. I enjoy playing Cave stuff for survival and eventually for score in competition with myself, but it seems a pretty silly bug to me.

EOJ

Quote from: moozooh on September 13, 2012, 09:45:45 AM

Besides, the two other counterstops are only achievable by flawless play throughout the entire game and one of them does require killing the TLB so they're not nearly as game-breaking as safely hoarding hypers for stage 5, executing a three-minute-long route, and going for the easiest of the three endings to seal the victory.

The score doesn't counterstop in SDOJ, though. So you're comparing apples with an orange.
My score archive

EOJ

I've been reading about the input lag in the port on some Japanese sites. The PCB, like (all?) SH3 games, has 2 frames of lag built-in. The port has this plus an extra 1-2 frames. However, if you turn "smoothing" off, this apparently removes at least a frame of the additional lag, making it feel much closer to the PCB.

In regard to slowdown accuracy, it has nearly all of the slowdown of the PCB, but it slows down in some additional sections, making it a hair easier overall (very similar to the Futari ports in this regard).
My score archive

Monouchi

Good info.
Im pretty sure I had more slowdown on the stage 4 boss on the pcb than when practicing on 360, but that couldve just been my imagination.

What I do wonder is how to position yourself on the first pattern in the pcb? (stage 4 boss)
On 360 practice there is a safe spot right in the front of the boss until the very last part of the pattern, but when trying the exact same thing on the pcb I got hammered.

EOJ

I didn't know about the safe spot on the X360 version. I'll have to give it a try.

I tried playing with Smoothing on and then off, and yeah, I can feel a difference in lag there. Smoothing off is much better. I played it that way on a CRT many years ago, and as I've said before, I couldn't feel any difference from the PCB that way.
My score archive

iconoclast

I was never bothered by any input lag in this, but I've always played with smoothing off and never had a PCB to compare it to first-hand. I asked KSG about it on twitter a long time ago and he basically said the same thing:

Quote結論から言いますと360版の最大往生に遅延はあります。遅延を軽減する為にスムージングをOFFにしたり余分なウィンドウは一切表示しないようにしたりしていますが、それでも陽蜂戦の勝率は下がってます。
私は遅延にそれほど敏感ではないので360版も良い練習になっていますが、人によってはプレイする気が起きないくらいに感じるらしいです。

"To get straight to the point: yes, there is lag in the 360 version of Saidaioujou. You can reduce it by turning off smoothing, and getting rid of unneeded windows, but for me it drops my success rate against Hibachi."
"I'm not that sensitive to lag, so it's still good practice, but some people apparently feel the lag so bad that they don't feel like playing the port."
(translated by adverse)

Quote from: Monouchi on April 14, 2018, 08:04:23 AMWhat I do wonder is how to position yourself on the first pattern in the pcb? (stage 4 boss)
On 360 practice there is a safe spot right in the front of the boss until the very last part of the pattern, but when trying the exact same thing on the pcb I got hammered.

I haven't played in years, but I think this happens because in practice mode, starting from boss will always makes him open with the exact same pattern, but in a real run, it's going to be aimed/spread randomly. I remember this screwing me up too.

EOJ

I've been playing the 360 port a lot this past week. I'll play it right after or right before MFBL God Mode (360), which I've set to 1 frame of lag (the PCB has 2). And I play SDOJ in tate with smoothing ON (no extra windows). I can't feel any difference in lag between SDOJ and MFBL. I thought there was less with smoothing off, and maybe there is a tiny amount, but I can't really feel a difference in a run (I guess I didn't test it enough before when I claimed there was a noticeable difference). Smoothing ON looks so much better on my monitor, so I'll stick with that. Keep in mind my Dell U2414H monitor has 4ms of total input lag, which is nearly CRT-level.

I wonder if the input lag was mainly a problem before the patch. I know several things were messed up pre-patch, including the extra windows causing slowdown in the game.

On a different note, I think it would be great to have a "black label" of this game released on the eXA hardware with the graphics and sound of the X360 version, with various BL tweaks added. For example, it would be cool to have a 2-loop version of this game, with only one ship type available (Expert type).
My score archive

Monouchi

Im all up for a SDOJ BL that would incorporate more bullet cancel enemies in stage 1-4...so the scoring was as fun as in stage 5 now.

SWZ

I recently measured the lag of the port on my hardware setup at 4.8 frames. This was with the smoothing set to ON and the input display window ON. For comparison, I measured the Futari port using the exact same setup and testing methods at 1.8 frames (frame delay set to 0V in the settings). I was unaware that the smoothing setting can reduce the lag. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to test it again with the smoothing off.

Monouchi

Please do, that would be very interesting. :)

EOJ

Quote from: SWZ on July 14, 2018, 10:48:51 AM
I recently measured the lag of the port on my hardware setup at 4.8 frames. This was with the smoothing set to ON and the input display window ON. For comparison, I measured the Futari port using the exact same setup and testing methods at 1.8 frames (frame delay set to 0V in the settings). I was unaware that the smoothing setting can reduce the lag. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to test it again with the smoothing off.

Since 0V on Futari is zero lag (I don't play on that setting due to the screen tearing), and the PCB setting is 2 (frames), the SDOJ port with smoothing ON adds 1 extra frame of lag in comparison to the PCB. Echoing monouchi's comment, it would be great to see if there is any lag reduction with smoothing off.

Do you have any other ports? It would be informative to test, for example, the Espgaluda 2 port.
My score archive

SWZ

Quote from: EOJ on July 14, 2018, 04:30:37 PM
Quote from: SWZ on July 14, 2018, 10:48:51 AM

Since 0V on Futari is zero lag (I don't play on that setting due to the screen tearing), and the PCB setting is 2 (frames), the SDOJ port with smoothing ON adds 1 extra frame of lag in comparison to the PCB. Echoing monouchi's comment, it would be great to see if there is any lag reduction with smoothing off.

Do you have any other ports? It would be informative to test, for example, the Espgaluda 2 port.

Unfortunately I do not have any other ports at this time as I do not have a Japanese X360. I will retest SDOJ sometime this weekend.