Main Menu

PS3 sticks?

Started by adverse, May 21, 2008, 10:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adverse

(Wasn't sure where to post this exactly, feel free to move if it's in the wrong section)

If you're playing CAVE ports, what are you using for a PS2/PS3 stick?  

I'm going to mod a HRAP with a Seimitsu LS-56-01.  Should I swap the buttons out too or are the default ones fine?  Input appreciated.

RGC

A custom Mushihimesama stick with Seimitsu stick and Sanwa buttons. It's sexy. :)

cannonball

I use an HRAP for PS2 ports.  I haven't bothered to swap out the stick or buttons (they're both pretty high quality), but if I were to do anything with it, I'd probably swap out the sanwa stick for a seimitsu.

adverse

Quote from: RGCA custom Mushihimesama stick with Seimitsu stick and Sanwa buttons. It's sexy. :)
Thanks for the feedback guys.  Yeah I already ordered my Seimitsu and I got Sanwas for free from this super nice arcade worker in Osaka, so I'm set to mod it once I pick it up.  Can I ask you where you got the Mushi image from?  I suppose you need a pretty wide resolution image for an HRAP?  Don't know where to find many high-res Cave art shots.

RGC

Quote from: adverse
Quote from: RGCA custom Mushihimesama stick with Seimitsu stick and Sanwa buttons. It's sexy. :)
Thanks for the feedback guys.  Yeah I already ordered my Seimitsu and I got Sanwas for free from this super nice arcade worker in Osaka, so I'm set to mod it once I pick it up.  Can I ask you where you got the Mushi image from?  I suppose you need a pretty wide resolution image for an HRAP?  Don't know where to find many high-res Cave art shots.
Well the overall size is quite a bit less than an HRAP, so finding an image to suit wasn't that tough. By the way, I didn't build it, but looking at the interior I don't think it would be a particularly difficult job for anyone. Probably hacking the PS2 pad would be the hardest part.

slateman

X-Arcade->USB Adapter

Or my old ASCII stick I bought when Street Fighter Zero 2 came out.

Has anyone else used the X-Arcade stick?  Thoughts?

Cthulhu4prez

I use the HRAP stick for the PS3. It has a very nice feel to it, I highly recommend it.

markedkiller78

For the PS2 (and supergun) I had a Hori RAP 2. For PS3 Hori RAP 3 & VF High grade. Both RAPs are good sticks, the buttons are fine, but I did notice a difference when swapping in Sanwas.

The VF High grade is in a different league though. It?s much heavier & the build quality is the best I?ve ever seen. Full Sanwa parts out the box, including the start button. Only issue is the price. It?s selling for ?100+ compared to the ?55 I sold the Hori Rap 3 for.

I?ve sold both RAPs as I don?t play the PS2 & only need 1 stick for the PS3. Everyone I know uses a joypad, so it?s wasted on them. Philistines

innerpattern

I'm pretty happy with my HRAP3 for MAME. May put a Seimitsu stick in it though. I understand they are tighter and have a shorter throw. The stock stick feels too loose and floaty for my tastes.

bitkid

I built my own stick with Seimitsu stick and Sanwa buttons. I play fighters too so its good for that also. Its been a little odd getting used to playing shmups on a stick even though I am used to it for fighters. I tend to do better still on a PS2 pad but I am trying to adjust. Anyone else play on pads (I'm guessing no). :D

PROMETHEUS

Quote from: bitkid on September 08, 2008, 11:54:31 AM
I built my own stick with Seimitsu stick and Sanwa buttons. I play fighters too so its good for that also. Its been a little odd getting used to playing shmups on a stick even though I am used to it for fighters. I tend to do better still on a PS2 pad but I am trying to adjust. Anyone else play on pads (I'm guessing no). :D
MisterMonkeyMan, one of the best occidental players if not the best, plays with a pad. And I play with a keyboard.

EOJ

I used to play on a pad (PS2 dualshock, Saturn, or GC controller), and got some of my high scores with one (Mushi Maniac 437mil ALL, Ikaruga Normal Arcade mode 29.5mil No Miss ALL, etc).
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

kernow

Quote from: PROMETHEUS on September 26, 2008, 05:54:05 AM
MisterMonkeyMan, one of the best occidental players if not the best, plays with a pad. And I play with a keyboard.

I find it mindblowing you got that DDP score with a keyboard.

PROMETHEUS

Quote from: kernow on September 26, 2008, 07:15:06 PM
Quote from: PROMETHEUS on September 26, 2008, 05:54:05 AM

I find it mindblowing you got that DDP score with a keyboard.

That's because you think it's harder to play with a keyboard, but it's not. I have a much harder time with a joystick, and I think joysticks have some minor flaws keyboards don't have, for STGs.