Deathsmiles Tournament at PAX East

Started by adverse, March 23, 2010, 11:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adverse

NR777

I would, but Boston is a four hour bus ride and I have a show to put on this Saturday.  Why can't they do things like this in NYC?  Fuckin' Boston.  I lived an hour north of that city for most of my life and something fun happens there only after I leave for New York.  Typical.  At least I don't have to live there.  =D

adverse

I share your obviously intense hate of Boston. 

And I lived there for a year!  :-\

NR777

Quote from: adverse on March 23, 2010, 11:36:07 AM
I share your obviously intense hate of Boston. 

And I lived there for a year!  :-\

Living in New York for two and a half years will do that to you...especially after tourists from Boston come here and talk shit.  Shaddup.  Your city shuts down at 1am!

I am hoping a few people can make it out, though.  What a great way to market the game!

ookitarepanda

Somebody fly EOJ out there so he can clean up. I wonder what they're going to select for the levels/stages...

DJ Incompetent

No prizes announced. Hrmmm.

I'd like a 3rd trophy ^_^ and another wad of money ^_^_^

StarCreator

I should be up there considering I've planned to attend PAX East since a few months ago.  I'm absolutely terrible at scoring in just about any game though...

EOJ

Quote from: ookitarepanda on March 23, 2010, 02:36:04 PM
Somebody fly EOJ out there so he can clean up.

Yes, I could probably win this, unless some Japanese player happens to be on vacation in Boston at the time, and wanders into the competition booth.  :laugh:

If they just let you play ONE level, at a rank they select, starting at zero on the item counter, the scores will be really low, as in some stages you'll barely be able to activate fever mode before the boss.

Also if they make you use an X360 controller instead of a joystick, it'll be a complete mess.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

gsl

It's nice that Aksys is really working to promote Deathsmiles instead of just shoving it out the door after multiple delays like other shmup localizations.  PAX is the perfect sort of place to show it off to a receptive audience most likely to spring for the game if they haven't heard of it already, too.

StarCreator

I hope anyone who is interested is already going to PAX, as the show sold out of registrations at least a month ago.

I also hope people who are not coming but can come up with scoring strategies on the fly will be around, since I might make a panicked post asking what to do while in the line to play if they choose something completely off the wall.

croikle

If you know what shot to use on each type of enemy, or at least experiment to see which gives more crowns, you'll do better than most people there.

NR777

Quote from: StarCreator on March 24, 2010, 12:47:38 AM
if they choose something completely off the wall.

MBL, Canyon, Rank 999 suckas.  Have fun scoring!

dmauro

Quote from: NR777 on March 24, 2010, 11:06:07 AM
Quote from: StarCreator on March 24, 2010, 12:47:38 AM
if they choose something completely off the wall.

MBL, Canyon, Rank 999 suckas.  Have fun scoring!

I hope so, I would rather it be like that then something like 1-1 Rank 3. But I really hope they have a joystick available.

neomoe

wish I had known about this sooner.  I live in the boston area and used to work just outside where this convention is being held...but I checked online and looks like registration is all full and tickets are all sold out. 

Ultimately it wouldn't have mattered anyway since I suck at Deathsmiles, but I would have at least like to have gone and checked out the festivities.

Oh and yes, Boston sucks and I hate it as well.  But then again, I also hate NY :)

StarCreator

I was one of the first ones in line in the morning.  Unless they changed it since the morning (and considering the guy had no idea what I was talking about when I asked what button "power up" was mapped to), they were running it on MBL 1.1, which no one has played before (unless it came out for Japan and I hadn't heard about it).  The rules were:

- Stage 1-1, MBL 1.1, Lv999.
- One try only, no practice run.
- Have to use the Xbox 360 wired controller.

Needless to say my run lasted maybe 20 seconds, most of it dying while trying to figure out what the controls were on the fly.

Aksys are advertising geniuses, forcing everyone into the hardest and most confusing mode possible to encourage sales.

EOJ

MBL 1.1 will be released in Japan in about 2 weeks, from what I've read.

Quote from: StarCreator on March 26, 2010, 11:09:39 PM
Aksys are advertising geniuses, forcing everyone into the hardest and most confusing mode possible to encourage sales.

lol
My score archive

emphatic

antares

Quote from: EOJ on March 26, 2010, 11:18:16 PM
MBL 1.1 will be released in Japan in about 2 weeks, from what I've read.

About time

dmauro

Pro: I won a Deathsmiles faceplate.
Cons: Got patronized by a paid Windia cosplayer and now Aksys has a ridiculous photo of me with their cosplayers. 

gsl

Sounds perfect for the frontpage of CAVE-STG.com.  That lonely pic of Ikeda is getting a bit old...

Elixir

Quote from: dmauro on March 27, 2010, 01:48:00 PM
Pro: I won a Deathsmiles faceplate.
Cons: Got patronized by a paid Windia cosplayer and now Aksys has a ridiculous photo of me with their cosplayers.  

What does it look like?

If it's this one, sell it to me. PLEASE.

necpmf

Quote from: dmauro on March 27, 2010, 01:48:00 PMCons: Got patronized by a paid Windia cosplayer
Why is this in the cons section?

dmauro

It is indeed that faceplate. I might sell it just because I like the white style of the xbox and I know someone else is probably dying to get their hands on it.

The Windia cosplayer almost seemed like she was picking on me, but she must have been a bit of a video game nerd herself because she said "a winner is you." It was just kind of an awkward scenario.

EOJ

If I were to sell something unique like that, I'd put it on ebay. You'll probably get a ton of cash for it, particularly if you offer international shipping.
My score archive

antares

Is it already known what the LE of Deathsmiles US will include? Wasn't there a rumour that this faceplate might be included?

gsl

Aksys made a big deal about getting the faceplate in at their offices, but didn't say whether it was to be included with the LE or if it was just some sort of special promo item for events like this.

NR777

So, were there a lot of people lined up to score on this game or was it a thin crowd?  Congrats to Dmauro for winning!  That record should belong to a New Yorker ( just like the Donkey Kong record. ).

fuse

Well played sir, glad to see someone from here won it! Also that is *prime* eBay fodder - I mean, c'mon. It's a one-of-a-kind item and the community you're selling to pays insane prices for the most pointless of items.

NR777

Quote from: fuse on March 28, 2010, 05:58:45 AM
Well played sir, glad to see someone from here won it! Also that is *prime* eBay fodder - I mean, c'mon. It's a one-of-a-kind item and the community you're selling to pays insane prices for the most pointless of items.

Imagine how much a fuck pillow would have been worth...

dmauro

But obviously if it had been a fuck pillow I would be keeping it for myself.