Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu 1.5 Strategy

Started by adverse, November 08, 2009, 09:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adverse

1.0 Introduction
This guide is written to give players an introduction to Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu 1.5.  It is currently a work in progress

1.1 Differences from 1.0

+Addition of B-type, Green Helicopter.
+Max score counter increased by two digits.

1.2 Ship Types

A-Type  Do-NX-SF-25B Struggle Fighter "Deltasword"
+ Slightly more powerful laser/shot
+ Highest mobility of the ships
+ Chain rises quickest of the three when canceling bullets
-  Short shot width requires intricate pattern building
-  Short shot width and options placed on top of the craft means that bullet canceling demands a distinct strategy from the other two ship types: slowly moving away from bullets streams.  Normal shot for Power style will require the player to move quite deliberately to avoid getting caught by bullet streams.
-  Boost shot in Power mode does a little better but you can still get nailed by shots from the side.

B-Type Do-NX-AH-16B Assault Helicopter "Biaxe"
+Power and movement are both medium.
+Is pretty easy to learn chains with.
+Options on the side means it will be able to cancel bullets in Power style Normal mode up to hyper rank 2 with no real worries.
- Shot moves according to your movement and although two streams of bullets remain straight forward, the shift of the other two can mess up chain timing.  This is especially true on Stage 4.

C-Type Do-NX-FB-72D Fighting Bomber "Spearhead"
+ Wide and constant shot makes chaining easier than the other modes.
+ Like B-type, can cancel bullets in Power Style Normal mode with no problems up to hyper rank 2.
+ C-type has the current highest score in DFK much to its wide shot which hits enemies otherwise unreachable by other ship types.
-  Slow movement, which can lead to chain dropping if you do not move fast enough.
-  Slowest chain increase while bullet canceling.

2.0 Modes

2.1  Bomb Mode

・Auto-bomb= when you are hit and you have a bomb item remaining, the bomb item will be used.
・Duration of the bomb will be much shorter than a bomb that you choose to use (i.e. hitting B).
・For high-scoring runs, bomb mode will require the player to make use of the "aura" technique by pressing the body of their craft up against enemies to jack up the hyper meter.  Otherwise the hyper meter fills very slowly and the player may find themselves in tight spots and/or with very low chain numbers.

A: Shot (hold for laser)
B: Bomb
C: Autofire
D: Hyper

*Buttons C&D are interchangeable and can be adjusted to your play style across all modes.

2.2  Power Mode

・Power mode gives the player two shot types: normal and boost.  Boost dealing more damage to enemies, it also fills up the player's hyper meter while canceling bullets in hyper mode.  
・For this reason, Power Mode players will be able to fill their hyper meters quicker than any other mode, leading to higher chains early on which greatly increases the overall counter.
・However, Power players are not going to be able to run through the game canceling bullets around them with boost mode and expect the chain to be maintained.  Due to the way hyper ranks increase, the effective length of the hyper shot shortens with every level, leading to inevitable chain breaks if hypers are used too much.

B: Shot change (Normal/Boost)

2.3  Strong Mode
・Strong mode has higher power in shot and laser and is very easy to get a 1-all with.  A 2-all is also not too challenging with this mode.
・However, Strong mode does not have Power's ability to cancel bullets for hyper meter and tends to kill enemies much quicker, meaning that scoring runs in Strong will need tricks to keep the chain intact and the hyper meter full.
・Auto-bomb= when you are hit and you have a bomb item remaining, the bomb item will be used.
・Duration of the bomb will be much shorter than a bomb that you choose to use (i.e. hitting B).

B: Bomb

3.0  Chaining

Chaining in DFK is essentially similar to the other Dodonpachi games in that you have to destroy enemies within a certain amount of time to continue moving the counter up.  This amount of time is governed by the combo gauge.

Things that maintain your chain/keep your combo gauge alive:

1.  Destroying enemies.
2.  Activating hyper.
3.  Destroying bullets/obtaining airborne star point items.
4.  Training your laser on enemies
5.  Obtaining bee items.

Be aware that DFK's chaining system is a bit more lenient than previous games in the series.  One thing makes it easier to chain is that killing multiple enemies at once will cause your combo gauge to decrease slower than killing them one at a time.  DFK also projects enemy hit boxes onto the top of the screen, so if you think your chain is about to cut out you can hit laser and often your laser will catch on an off-screen, still invulnerable enemy. 

Please see the scoring system section to understand how combos translate into points in DFK.

4.0  Hyper Rank

Hyper ranks raises with each hyper you use in DFK, and if it gets too high, it can be deadly to either yourself or your chain.  Stages 4 and 5 are especially difficult to full chain if a player raises the hyper rank too quickly.

The game starts at rank 0.  As the rank raises:

・Destruction/Cancellation durability of bullets increases  ・More danger lasers appear
・Speed of bullets increase  ・In second loop, number of suicide bullets increase.
・For BOOST mode in Power style, the green area of your shot will decrease.
This is a somewhat unnoticed feature of hypers in this game, but there is actually a red and green component to your shot.  The green area is close to your craft, and will destroy enemy bullets and produce star items (keep your chain intact).  However if you're canceling bullets in the red area, star items will not appear and your chain will be much more vulnerable. 

Power style players must absolutely keep the above in mind.

4.1 Hyper Rules According to Loop

1st loop: the hyper rank is reset every stage.  Hyper rank drops 1 when you die.
2nd loop:  (Tsuujou)  Rank from the last stage divided by 2.
               (Ura)  Rank from last stage -1
               When a bomb is used, rank -1
               If you die, -1

5.0  Scoring System

Unlike Daioujou, bee items in Daifukkatsu are nearly worthless.  Almost all of the points in a serious scoring run will come from building the combo throughout the stage.  A multiplier is put into effect for every enemy that you kill depending on the numerical value of your chain.

Multiplier:

0-499            x1
500-999        x2
1000-2999     x3
3000-4999     x4
5000-6999     x5
7000-9999     x6
10000 and up x7

This multiplier ONLY takes effect when your hyper gauge is full, which means effectively that DFK requires a scoring strategy of building a big chain in the early part of the level via hypers and then no-hyper chaining from an advantageous point to maximize points.

Below your hyper gauge, you will notice a "+ value" in a box.  I will call this your accumulative counter.  Every time you destroy an enemy, its value is multiplied by the multiplier and not only enters your overall points, but also your accumulative counter. 

Here's an example, if you destroy the first medium sized enemy in stage 2 after accumulating 1000 on the counter (and with a full hyper counter), the value of that enemy (Reiun), 353,200, is multiplied by 3 (approx. 1 mil points).  Since this enters your accumulative counter, EVERY enemy you kill afterwords will have this value applied to them.  Thus it is absolutely vital to build up the highest chain number you can before killing mid-sized enemies throughout the levels. 

On stage 2, this is for instance the difference between 10 billion and 15 billion before the boss, in stage 3 the difference is already 30 billion or so.

Given that hyper rank is constantly raising the more you use hypers, you will want to plan out a smart strategy for each level which will require to use a minimum of hypers, otherwise you may find your chain cutting out and/or getting killed by bullets you can't destroy anymore.

6.0  Extends
10,000,000,000 and a 1UP hidden in the following installation on stage 3.  Easy to get, just don't bomb.

7.0  Bee Item Locations
(Thanks Erzane)

Normal Route
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Knight/1496/hatiomote.html

Ura Boss Route
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Knight/1496/hatiura.html

Bees come in three types, and any type will boost up your combo meter, which means that you can substitute picking up a bee for destroying an enemy in a pattern.  In stage 5 for instance this is critical to maintaining the chain after the first popcorn rush.

7.1  Bee Types
Green:  Fills up hyper meter by about 1/4.
Gold: Worth points multiplied by how many gold bees you picked up in a level.  Worth shit in the overall point total so hardly worth stressing over.
White:  Hyper meter and points.

8.0  Second Loop Conditions

Tsujou 2nd Loop
Fulfill one of: Collect 35 bee items, or clear the game having lost only one life or used only 2 bombs.

Ura 2nd Loop
Collect all 45 bee items and clear the game having lost only one life and used 2 bombs or less.

9.0  Random Tips

1.  Good players will often bring their hyper rank from the previous level into the next level.  Why is this done?
First, rank 5 will produce much more bullets to cancel and increase the player's initial chain value.  Second, "smuggling" a hyper can reduce the total amount of hypers you need to use per level by 1.  After your rank 5 hyper ends, hyper rank will be reset to 0 (in the first loop).  If you are finding a part where you are having trouble canceling bullets, you may want to consider bringing your hyper in from the last stage. 

Using this technique is basically essential for stage 3, I in fact had a hell of a time with stage 3 until I started bringing my hyper in from stage 2.  Mainly this is because of the need to efficiently cancel the bullets of the mid-boss.

I also recommend this technique on stage 4.

2.  "Smuggling" a hyper can be used to boost up your chain to 5000 in the first 10 seconds of stage 3 if you cancel the bullets of the red helicopters with a rank 5 hyper and then laser cancel the resultant Danger! lasers.

That's it for now.

adverse

A friend I met at Alpha Channel's latest score:

He's going for Arcadia rank this weekend (510 bil).  Will be trading off the machine when he gets bored lol.

When I have time this thread will be full of useful info...

brentsg

I just wanted to say thanks for doing this.  I love the game and will take advantage of any guidance you offer.

adverse

Updated today.

Filled in hyper rank, chaining and scoring system as well as some tips from yours truly. 

Have a look.

HUU

I've got this on my computer since a long time now and I've just found it back while cleaning my HDD.

I did this to show how to get the first ura mid boss.
As you can see, you have to destroy the silos before the tank destroy it !!
Usually the order/path will be :
1) destroy silo 1
2) destroy silo 2
3) destroy first tank
4) destroy silo 3
5) destroy second tank
6) destroy silo 4
7) destroy last tank

Other ura mid-boss will follow if :
1) you don't die during a stage (bombing is OK, dying at boss is OK)
2) pick up all bees in the stage

rtw

In addition to destroying the silos before the tanks I believe your hyper meter has to be filled as well.
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work

Kiel

A question on chaining, in stage 2 right before the midboss its seems like 75% of the time I lose my chain and from what I can tell I dont do anything different. Sometimes it stays most times it doesnt.

Oh yeah and if I can keep my chain for the midboss i typically lose it after I destroy it...

adverse

Chaining stage 2 takes some practice.  Generally it is always better to destroy several enemies at once with laser.  I imagine this is why you're losing chain before the midboss (the flying purple enemies right?).

Straight chaining no hyper after the midboss takes a good deal of practice.  The key is hypering during the boss at a specific point, for me right when the bee is about to disappear off the screen to the left.  This way, after you finish milking the lasers, your hyper ends and you have enough time to kill some helicopters/grab the next bee.  For the time being you should probably just hyper after the boss is finished and milk bullets with normal hyper shot.

Kiel

I guess i should mention that I'm not getting the Ura bosses until stage 3. :'(

But I'll give that a try :righton:

KOA

Sorry to bump, but the chain drop still bothers me at times. I don't know what causes them to drop gradually or drop completely.

EOJ

It drops gradually if you lose your chain when your hyper meter is not full, while it drops completely when you die, bomb, or lose your chain with a full hyper meter.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

brentsg

Interesting.. I never grasped the impact of the full hyper meter on the chain dropping.

KOA

Quote from: EOJ on October 08, 2010, 02:24:07 PM
It drops gradually when lose your chain when your hyper meter is not full, while it drops completely when you die, bomb, or lose your chain with a full hyper meter.

Oh wow, I need to look out for that more often. It is indeed more punishing than the replays make them seem.
Thanks, EOJ.

EOJ

Your multiplier only kicks in when you have a full hyper meter (and you are not in hyper mode), so there's the risk vs reward part.
My score archive

skykid

In this vid the second (?) tank clearly runs over the silo before it's destroyed and he still gets the Ura route?  :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMAWEgY7VmA&feature=related
Quote from: SuperPangWhere DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away

MrMonkeyMan

If you use the picture a few posts up the only silos you need to destroy before a tank runs them over are 1, 3 and 4 (I'm not 100% sure 4 actually matters). In that video I destroy silo 3 just moments before the tank would blow it up.

skykid

Quote from: MrMonkeyMan on December 07, 2010, 09:21:17 PM
If you use the picture a few posts up the only silos you need to destroy before a tank runs them over are 1, 3 and 4 (I'm not 100% sure 4 actually matters). In that video I destroy silo 3 just moments before the tank would blow it up.

Interesting there's no surefire answer to this requirement. Someone on shmups also mentioned that if you don't uncover the bees, then you can't technically 'miss' them and will still get the Ura route, dunno if this is confirmed either.

Incredible run btw Monkeyman!  :righton:
Quote from: SuperPangWhere DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away

J*R*F_BN3_WM2K

Hi - Help needed!

Can someone tell me, in the simplest terms possible, what causes the hyper meter to become filled?

I'm keen to score well, but even more keen to make this my first Cave 1cc outside of novice modes. I can 1cc in to stage 5, but would really like to maximise my use of hypers to keep a few precious bombs for that last level.

Thanks

SH4R4KU

Quote from: skykid on December 08, 2010, 09:47:44 AM
Incredible run btw Monkeyman!  :righton:

There's no denying it's a good run, but I must say that the game is much easier on iOS as the speed of the ship's movement is only limited by your fingers.

J*R*F_BN3_WM2K

Quote from: J*R*F_BN3_WM2K on April 06, 2011, 05:32:49 PM

Can someone tell me, in the simplest terms possible, what causes the hyper meter to become filled?.

Thanks

Any ideas? I've worked out that the hidden bees and dying fill the gauge, but there's obviously more to it than that - I just can't work out what.

No

Greetings all. I have a question, aside from differing spreads on the weapons is there any reason to use bomb style over strong? I just got the game along with my JPN 360 and I want to start practice on clearing this and other CAVE stgs I've picked up. Scoring on them is beyond me for now.

EOJ

Strong is better than Bomb in every way. Bomb style has its own rankings, though, so it can be fun for score attacking as well. It's also more challenging than Strong style.
My score archive

No

I see, thank you. Can't wait to get home to give it another go. I tried power but I'm having a lot of trouble following the bullets in this, unlike in Futari.

SH4R4KU

Quote from: J*R*F_BN3_WM2K on April 10, 2011, 06:03:25 PM
Quote from: J*R*F_BN3_WM2K on April 06, 2011, 05:32:49 PM

Can someone tell me, in the simplest terms possible, what causes the hyper meter to become filled?.

Thanks

Any ideas? I've worked out that the hidden bees and dying fill the gauge, but there's obviously more to it than that - I just can't work out what.

As far as I can gather, use of the laser fills up the hyper bar; thus it fills quicker using the wider laser in Power mode. Power mode only gives you three hits though, so whilst I enjoy it, I can only get to about half way through the 3rd stage before I am snuffed. Around 500th in the rankings though, which I am super pleased with.

Third_strike

Is there any hank in this game based in surviving time an max level?

EOJ

Not in the stages. Might be on the bosses, as if you milk them for awhile their patterns may get more difficult.
My score archive

Third_strike

OK!
Then the hank need be in myself.

SH4R4KU

EOJ

My score archive