Dodonpachi Saidaioujou [Cave 2012, ARCADE]

Started by joeks, December 21, 2011, 02:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brentsg

Quote from: Muchi Muchi Spork on April 20, 2012, 05:51:50 PM
I think I would tell them bugfixed or refund but it's not my money...

Well I think the premise would be that people already have kits en route.  So in that case it's either already fixed, or it's not.  So they'll have to coordinate a fix, which I'm sure they'll do..  

EOJ

It's possible acho already had a fixed one.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

brentsg

Fujita says it's an isolated issue and isn't something that needs a revision.  They said that info came from Cave.

Kaneda

I played it for a while last night. This game fuggin rocks. Bravo, Cave, on giving us something to really sink our teeth into.

I made it to just before the stage 4 boss (and died just before triggering the second point extend :/), but don't see myself clearing it for a while. Stage 4 is a nightmare almost immediately, I can't imagine stage 5 being much friendlier. Getting the 1-up requires no-bombing the stage 4 mid-boss which will be a feat.

Let_It_Be

This thread is making me very happy, even though in the best scenario I won't play the game for years, it makes me hopeful that SDOJ will do well in the arcades and Cave will still find interest in producing these games.

drboom

The thread is making me extatic! Thanks for your thoughts, EOJ. I am so tempted to sell off a pin or two to get this. It sounds perfectly wonderful - bullet dodging, high difficulty - just awesome.  :righton: :righton:

TonK

EOJ, what didn't you like about DOJ?

Why do you like this game more than say, DoDonPachi?

Where does it rank on your Cave top ten?

Just trying to form an unbiased conclusion before I buy it.

eckart

Realy good news that it seems it is only one foul pcb.

SuperPang

I've sent Yumi an email myself to see what the deal is with the freeze but so far it looks like only that one PCB, unless it's a freeplay bug or something. I'll certainly credit feed past stage 4 on day one though.

Quote from: Muchi Muchi Spork on April 20, 2012, 04:58:42 PM
They didn't update it when they fixed the hiscore bug in Mushihimesama Matsuri 1.5.
I was not aware they fixed this. Was it for the second run or did they take them back for a fee?

EOJ

Quote from: TonK on April 21, 2012, 02:36:47 AM

I don't like the graphics (really ugly game IMO), bullet patterns, scoring system, loop system. I do like the challenge level and the music. It's OK for a clear, but other than that, I have no real interest in playing it. SDOJ's scoring system isn't as harsh, so it feels more inviting. I like systems that aren't so "all or nothing" like DOJ. You still need to chain in SDOJ, but they punish you much less for breaking your chain than in DOJ.

Everything about it is better than Dodopachi. I played Dodonpachi soon after SDOJ and it looked and played like shit. (Just kidding, I like DDP but it does feel dated in comparison to this game)

In regard to comparing it to Daifukkatsu 1.5, SDOJ has better bullet patterns, better boss music theme, better challenge, better ship types, better scoring system, better (and optional!) autobomb system, (probably) no loop, no boss milking, much better boss fights. DFK has better graphics (brighter, more colorful, more diverse stages), better in-stage music.

Too early to say. While I really love it right now, I'll have to play a bunch more and see if it has real lasting power for me. MMP, Futari 1.5, Deathsmiles, DFK BL, and Espgaluda II are games that I've played countless times and still really enjoy today, so those would be my top 5. Pink Sweets, Ketsui and Deathsmiles II are close behind.
My score archive

EOJ

Quote from: Kaneda on April 20, 2012, 10:23:40 PM

I made it to just before the stage 4 boss (and died just before triggering the second point extend :/),

Nice job getting the second point extend already, I barely got the first. What ship type are you using?
My score archive

EOJ

Just watched a stream of a guy fighting the stage 5 boss. Wow, bullet patterns look so much like Ketsui there.
My score archive

Kaneda

Quote from: EOJ on April 21, 2012, 08:39:17 AM
Quote from: Kaneda on April 20, 2012, 10:23:40 PM

I made it to just before the stage 4 boss (and died just before triggering the second point extend :/),

Nice job getting the second point extend already, I barely got the first. What ship type are you using?

C-L with autobomb is my ship of choice, but my high of 1.78 billion I got on my third credit when I was using B-L (figures I haven't topped it even after a lot more time with it). Judging by the early high scores set on the various cabs I've tried over the past couple of days, B-L seems to be the ship of choice with scores. The highest I've seen is 6 billion.

My current strategy (if you can even call it that this early in the game) is to save my hypers from stage 1 and trigger them during the second mid-boss's final pattern (I have 4 by that point usually). Now that I think about it, this is quite similar to my strategy I used 10 years ago when I was playing DOJ where I stockpiled 5 hypers for the final stretch after the second stage mid-boss.

I still haven't met the fourth boss, even after no-missing to stage 4. I got up to rank 9, which wasn't much of a help.

I did see a guy no-miss up to him (he even got the 1up from the mid-boss). I thought for sure I'd see a clear, but he didn't get very far into stage 5. Hard stuff.

Muchi Muchi Spork

Quote from: SuperPang on April 21, 2012, 07:15:07 AM
I've sent Yumi an email myself to see what the deal is with the freeze but so far it looks like only that one PCB, unless it's a freeplay bug or something. I'll certainly credit feed past stage 4 on day one though.

Quote from: Muchi Muchi Spork on April 20, 2012, 04:58:42 PM
They didn't update it when they fixed the hiscore bug in Mushihimesama Matsuri 1.5.
I was not aware they fixed this. Was it for the second run or did they take them back for a fee?

I don't remember the dates but I think he got his during the second run. I know it came with the glitch and he paid all the international shipping costs and maybe a repair fee on top of it. I guess ask Fujita about it if you are interested in getting it done.

SuperPang

Cave usually ask 20,000 Yen so I think I'll put up with the continue screen :)

x91

Local townsfolk and me guess SDOJ won't have a second loop, for the difficulty arrangement by dress types. If that's true, perhaps I'll hold half of my compliments. A DDP should have loops IMO, while others might not think so.

But conclusion is too early, I have to play it myself for at least a week and see what it's really like.

Muchi Muchi Spork

Quote from: SuperPang on April 21, 2012, 12:02:57 PM
Cave usually ask 20,000 Yen so I think I'll put up with the continue screen :)

I wouldn't pay it either. I know he didn't pay that much for it either way. The "repairs" may have been free since it was during the warranty period (a whopping 30 days). He sent it back right away.

Quote from: x91 on April 21, 2012, 12:09:25 PM
A DDP should have loops IMO, while others might not think so.

After about a half hour of Cave intensity I don't think most people's nerves can take another one right away. I'm not a fan of loops at all. A relic of the early shooting days that never got a proper burial.

TonK

Quote from: EOJ on April 21, 2012, 08:29:03 AM
Quote from: TonK on April 21, 2012, 02:36:47 AM

I don't like the graphics (really ugly game IMO), bullet patterns, scoring system, loop system. I do like the challenge level and the music. It's OK for a clear, but other than that, I have no real interest in playing it. SDOJ's scoring system isn't as harsh, so it feels more inviting. I like systems that aren't so "all or nothing" like DOJ. You still need to chain in SDOJ, but they punish you much less for breaking your chain than in DOJ.

Everything about it is better than Dodopachi. I played Dodonpachi soon after SDOJ and it looked and played like shit.

In regard to comparing it to Daifukkatsu 1.5, SDOJ has better bullet patterns, better boss music theme, better challenge, better ship types, better scoring system, better (and optional!) autobomb system, (probably) no loop, no boss milking, much better boss fights. DFK has better graphics (brighter, more colorful, more diverse stages), better in-stage music.

Too early to say. While I really love it right now, I'll have to play a bunch more and see if it has real lasting power for me. MMP, Futari 1.5, Deathsmiles, DFK BL, and Espgaluda II are games that I've played countless times and still really enjoy today, so those would be my top 5. Pink Sweets, Ketsui and Deathsmiles II are close behind.

Thanks man. Do you think this would be a solid purchase?

My top 5 kinda looks like yours.

I liked the diversity of stages in DFK - the ones in SDOJ feel bland.

I also liked most of the patterns in DOJ, but some of them, especially in stage 4, seemed to go against the grain and chased me up the side of the screen. User error.

I like the idea of dodging bullets, sounds refreshing.

Erppo

Quote from: x91 on April 21, 2012, 12:09:25 PMA DDP should have loops IMO, while others might not think so.

Finally someone else who sees the truth!

But yeah, judging from all the streams I have watched, Expert mode already looks tougher than your average DDP second loop so I doubt it will loop.

Otherwise the game really does look great. Only thing I'm still unsure of is the scoring since I haven't been able to get a good picture how it works. I watched some guy fully chain stage 1 pretty effortlessly and I don't know what you would need to do to improve on that. I'm still hopeful that the scoring will be exciting too but think it's sad if they move to easy kiddie-chaining.

TimingTripod40

I think loops are dumb. I'd much rather have a 1 loop with selectable difficulties than one that forces you to play through the game on easy mode every time.

CIB

It always amazed me that people could 1CC so difficult games almost on release day  :o

darkidol

The final game looks amazing.  The long, bright bullets are eye-catching and go very nice with the blueish backgrounds.  It is so easy to watch!  I had a genuine sense from the first location test videos I saw that a superplay on this may be one to remember.  Everything revealed about it since has reaffirmed that - is it even possible to no-miss the Stage 4 midboss and it not look amazing?  Even the early credits from extremely skilled players - the person in Muchi Muchi Spork's 1cc vid and the experts playing on stream the other day - had a few 'wow' moments.  It looks so stressful to no-miss, especially knowing you can't breathe easy, now, once again, a second after activating hyper.  =D

BTW, Spork, thanks for the vids.  I have ISO playing on Expert from that stream but the flv is garbled.  Tried on 4 different media players with varying results but none are satisfying.

Also, in defence of loops: they can demand an elevated level of concentration (in general for a 2-ALL, but especially if a person's going for a WR) and - if you are not going for a WR, i.e. the majority of people playing - can give you great opportunities to boost your high score.  I know the prospect of them may seem tedious but I've found playing them can make the level feel different (in the case of DFK 2-4/2-5, in an extreme way).  Could go on further about RPG loops, side-scroller loops, etc. but would be too off-topic.

ookitarepanda

Quote from: EOJ on April 21, 2012, 08:29:03 AM
SDOJ has better better boss music theme

Funny you say this because the first thing I noticed was the boss music being a remix of the boss music from DFK but with dubstep WUB WUBs in the middle.

Also, question for those playing: Does this have a damn laserbomb? Because if not, I'll never play the game ever.  :P

A47A47

Japanese 2ch BBS says that ???'s vioice ("You've killed too much.... Do you understand!!??") is YUUKI Aoi's.

SFN

Quote from: A47A47 on April 21, 2012, 09:04:07 PM
Japanese 2ch BBS says that ???'s vioice ("You've killed too much.... Do you understand!!??") is YUUKI Aoi's.

... I thought ??? had some [spoiler]TLB-Madoka[/spoiler] vibes to it, but same VA ?

EOJ

Quote from: TonK on April 21, 2012, 12:33:06 PM

Thanks man. Do you think this would be a solid purchase?

Definitely a solid game, but I'd wait for a price drop instead of splashing out 190,000+ yen for it right now. Unless you're really itching for a new shooter and have money to burn, of course.
My score archive

EOJ

1CC with C-S:

Part 1:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17612958

Part 2:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17613040

You get to see the "Epilogue" at the end in this run, where there is talk about the battle "continuing on". Whether that means clearing Expert mode or a loop remains to be seen. Japanese guys seem to think it's hinting at a loop.
My score archive

x91

Local game center has just confirmed SDOJ's arrival tonight, so I'm going to pick up the pace!

EOJ

My score archive