The "what Cave game(s) are you playing right now?" thread

Started by EOJ, January 18, 2008, 08:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

Got my Ibara Kuro PCB this week so I've been playing a few credits a day. Best score so far is 66.7 million (died at last boss). I don't really remember how to score past stage 2. Lots of practice is in order!

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

EOJ

My score archive

ookitarepanda

Monouchi

Wow, 93mill.
I need to start to play some more Kuro...

EOJ

I've started playing Espgaluda 2 again. Trying to practice the stages on the X360 port, then do runs on the PCB. The more complex scoring in this game requires great precision. It is very satisfying when you pull it off, but infuriating when you make a mistake in a run.
My score archive

EOJ

I became a bit burned out on ESP2 so I gave MFBL God mode a credit today and beat my old 1CC score by quite a bit! First time I've 1CC'd this in over 10 years. Feels good.  :righton:

My score archive

EOJ

Any goals for 2019? Here are mine:

-200+ mil in MMP with Rafute (PCB). Still trying for this now and then, but I'll have to get more serious! I'm 11 mil away but it's a brutal climb up a steep mountain from here on out.

-Get some sort of non-garbage 1CC score in SDOJ with any ship/shot type.

-400~500mil in Espgaluda 2 1CC (PCB) with Ageha.

-Beat my old Ibara Kuro score (114mil).

I'll be happy to get more than 1 of those.  :laugh:
My score archive

Monouchi

1cc Pink Sweets without the infinite lives bug.
In a good run now I can no miss up to st6 Boss.

I still pick up too much stuff and I want to do some less RCs, more practice ahead...

Plasmo

I'm at Pink Sweets as well.

Gotta 1cc the port + scoring. This one is long overdue.

EOJ

Good luck with the PS goals, guys. That's not easy. If I ever buy another PS PCB I'd like to try some more scoring runs.
My score archive

Monouchi

Getting to Stage 7 in PS.

Stage 6 midboss hammered me, so I took a pause from PS for a couple of weeks, now back I hammer him.  :)

EOJ

Nice!  :righton:

I've been playing DFK BL with B-Strong these days. Trying to finally learn it properly and get a 1CC.
My score archive

EOJ

Today (4/20 Japan time) is the 7th anniversary of the arcade release of SDOJ. So I have to play a few credits today!  :righton:

But wait, it's also the 13th anniversary of the arcade release of Pink Sweets (also released on 4/20)! So I have to play that too.  :bigsmile:
My score archive

Monouchi

EOJ

I'm mainly playing DFK BL with C-Power (taking a break from Strong style) and Ibara with Bond Type C these days. I got an A score in Ibara last night, and 250 billion up to the stage 5 boss in DFK BL.
My score archive

EOJ

This week I've been playing DFK 1.5 with C-Power and B-Strong, and Akai Katana with Type C.

The more I play DFK 1.5 the more I am impressed by it. It is hard to choose between Power and Strong styles, both have pros and cons. Power is more fun for score, but it is so difficult to get a 2-ALL in that style, that I gravitate toward Strong just for practical reasons. I also played a bit of B-Bomb the other day and it was surprisingly fun, but I can't keep switching so many shot/play styles or I'll never get anywhere.

Akai Katana (original arcade version; I don't like the other "arrange" versions) is a killer game. I still think DSMBL is CAVE's finest hori (in depth, challenge, play style variety, etc), but I have more fun with AK because I still suck at DSMBL.  :P
My score archive

Monouchi

True, AK Arcade ver is really amazing. Juggling that gold is such a bliss, Arrange modes are gimmicky and Limited looks Meh. (Need to try it though some day.).
Have an arcade meet-up tomorrow where we are going to dig into AK.

Also one of Caves easiest 1cc imo.

Scoring is incredible fun and suiciding gives you a longer meter, Yagawa tricks.

EOJ

Quote from: Monouchi on May 17, 2019, 02:06:49 AM

Also one of Caves easiest 1cc imo.

True. On the PCB, a better challenge is in clearing the game without dying (which is still not too hard). And after that, clearing the game without dying or bombing (which is actually rather hard). And of course, scoring well too.  ;)

On the port, in contrast, clearing the game without dying is almost as hard as clearing the PCB without dying or bombing. From what I can tell only about 20% of the PCB's slowdown is in the port, and on the Stage 5 boss in particular this makes the game at least twice as hard.
My score archive

Monouchi

Quote from: EOJ on May 17, 2019, 02:48:46 AM

True. On the PCB, a better challenge is in clearing the game without dying (which is still not too hard). And after that, clearing the game without dying or bombing (which is actually rather hard). And of course, scoring well too.  ;)

On the port, in contrast, clearing the game without dying is almost as hard as clearing the PCB without dying or bombing. From what I can tell only about 20% of the PCB's slowdown is in the port, and on the Stage 5 boss in particular this makes the game at least twice as hard.

Yes, a no miss is very doable.
I need to hunt some scores in this game as its the only game I like to play for score in after Ibara. Only at 160 mill right now.

I havent played the port in ages and dont remember that so much of the slowdown was missing.
Thats kinda sad imo as the slowdown really adds to the claustrofobic feeling when you have packed bullets all around you in Ninja mode.
(The sound when you go into Ninja mode is really heavy when having a sub in the cab.)
Well, a very fun game it is.

EOJ

A high scoring route in the port can be completed in about 29 minutes (e.g. on the superplay DVD) whereas on the PCB a similar route takes about 39 minutes. So 10 minutes worth of slowdown is missing. 10 minutes!!  :o

I didn't realise it was so bad until I played them back to back several times. The port feels like it has a fast-forward button on at all times. It is actually the worst CAVE X360 port in terms of slowdown accuracy, even worse than DS2.

Due to the low difficulty of the game and the overall slow bullet speed, even without all the slowdown it can still be cleared on the port without much trouble and you can still score well in it (but not as well as on the PCB).
My score archive

Monouchi

Got the Pink Sweets 1cc.
Lost it a bit on st7 midboss but managed to finish.
No infinite lives trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=augl7aluHLA&feature=youtu.be

EOJ

My score archive

Monouchi

Thanks!
The PS music is really good. Even after hours of playing you still dig when hearing the st6 music.
(Bought a PS OST to celebrate.) :righton:

EOJ

I'm playing a lot of DFK 1.5 with B-Strong these days. I'm making progress slowly. I really love SDOJ for its simplicity, but overall, I've come to the realization that DFK 1.5 is the best Donpachi. Tremendous depth, very fun scoring, two loops, amazing graphics/sound. It checks all the boxes.

In other news, I sold my Ibara Kuro because I gave up on trying to beat my old score. Best I could muster was 99 million. It is a fun game to bust out for a 1CC once in awhile, but the scoring system is incredibly frustrating when you start attempting high-level routines -- you need both a good deal of luck and extremely precise rhythmic tapping (with both buttons and directionals). I would have kept it, but it goes for over $3000....I don't keep things that expensive unless I intend to play them seriously (for score). I could write a lot more in detail about what I love and hate about this game. Maybe someday. As a final note, it took me 10+ years but now I know the original Ibara is the better game, which, along with the fact it is worth about a third or fourth the price of Kuro, is why for the time being I have kept it.
My score archive

Monouchi

I agree with DFK being the best Pachi.
I need to continue to hunt that 2-All, reaching that black start of the second loop is such a hype.

And Ibara, well I wont comment on that. Im too much of a fanboy. :)

ookitarepanda

Went to CAX this weekend and had some time with MFBLAV, Dodonpachi, and Muchi Muchi Pork. There was plenty to play at the convention, but I still played a lot of those 3 even though they're all in my house. Maybe I should put those three specific games in the cabs this week and I'll just have my own extended CAX.

Plasmo

My Pink Sweets PCB has arrived! It feels so different compared to the 360 port, basically a new game.

There are many minor differences I can only spot now after having played both versions extensively. For example, the time between a boss' appearance on screen and the beginning of the first attack is much longer on the port. The same applies to the timeout attack of bosses, which take much longer on the port again.

Let's not even begin the issue of slowdown... The 360 port might be one of the most inaccurate ports of any CAVE game ever in this regard?

EOJ

I didn't notice the differences in boss timings you did. I'll have to check again! Did you notice the score font is different in the port? Another needless change.

The slowdown accuracy is in the C-D range (on my scale). Among the X360 ports Akai Katana, DSII, SDOJ and Muchi Muchi Pork are worse in this regard.

The input lag is pretty bad in the port, which I'm sure you have also noticed.

Every time I think of selling my Pink Sweets PCB I play one credit of the port and quickly decide to keep it. :laugh:
My score archive

Plasmo

It's scary to think about other ports being even worse when it comes to slowdown. :o

I will certainly keep my PCB for some time. At least until I feel more or less done with the game. And considering its replay value, that's going to take a while it seems.

OlDirty

I'm playing Dodonpachi now for about half a year. Try a 1CC but i'm still far away of that.  :-[