Main Menu

comp?

Started by jpj, February 22, 2008, 02:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpj

anyone interested in a forum score comp on a cave game?  it would be like stgt, but with a better line-up  :lol:

EOJ

This would be fun, as we could compete on the newer games, and not have to deal with any of the non-Cave game garbage.

I think a fun choice would be an Abnormal Reco Maniac Mode competition in Mushi Futari.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

jpj

anyone else be interested in a laid-back cave comp?  i like the idea of things slightly unconventional like EOJ's idea, because then it's slightly different to the normal high score boards.  possible ideas:

ddp doj with type B ship
espgaluda with tateha
galuda 2 with asagi
dangun with the uo poko cat
mushi ultra
pink sweets with midi/meidi

i don't think a week is very long, maybe like a calendar month long?

EOJ

Those all sound good. I'd have to buy another Pink Sweets board though, so let's do that one a few months down the road.;)

A month each sounds just about right.

PS- How about Mushi Ultra with M-Power, to make it a bit more unconventional?
My score archive

cannonball

Sounds like fun.  I would definitely participate every month  for games I have.

zakk

One idea I had right at the end of stgt, which I never implemented because I'm lazy (and in hindsight it's good I didn't do it, as it would have been a bad time) was a long-term HS ranking competition.

The way it would work is at the beginning of the competition, you pick some games, say 5, and then make note of every competitors' current position (or lack of position) on said board. Then every 'scoring cycle' (one month? maybe only a single scoring cycle at the end? who knows) you then assign points for 'movement' within each individual score table. Losing positions deducts points.

Basically there'd be motivation for you to spend some time with a game you never posted a score for, in order to get a big point boost for taking a bunch of positions; similarly, there's motivation to improve some past scores, to defend your position.

I don't think it would work here, as there's probably not enough people. On Shmups the big issue would be it requires some buy-in from the HS thread maintainers to agree 1) actually update and 2) not totally rearrange their tables for arbitrary reasons.

But Tateha galuda? What are you people trying to do to me? What did I ever do to you? :(

EOJ

I have also thought about your idea zakk (though not in as much detail). I think it might be something worth considering outside of jpj's competition idea.

And Tateha in Galuda is fun! A lot easier than using her in Galuda 2.:whyioughtta:
My score archive

jpj

my problem with the stgt's is that they require a fairly long-term commitment, and played in short periods (i don't have much free time within 1 week).  a casual month-long comp is lax enough for people to dip in and out of.  a different game each month and a table at the end of the year showing top 3 places in each comp?  we're quite a small forum, so i think keep it simple  :righton:

i'd be up for tateha galuda  :D

and maybe whoever gets last place gets to chose the next month's comp

gsl

Wait, why's Tateha in Galuda so problematic?  I always play as her!

drboom

Mushi Ultra sounds great to me - except that I'll probably post a crap score.

bay

if we do the first mushi i'll need to reacquire my board, futari however i have on hand atm.

zakk

Quote from: gslWait, why's Tateha in Galuda so problematic?  I always play as her!
I do not get along with slow-movement.

RGC

jpj

cool  :)

so if everyone's cool with it, shall we do a tateha espgaluda comp in march, and person with lowest score gets to choose the next game?  

:D

cannonball

Quote from: jpjcool  :)

so if everyone's cool with it, shall we do a tateha espgaluda comp in march, and person with lowest score gets to choose the next game?  

:D
Would it be OK to use the PS2 port of Espgaluda for this?

Sycada

sounds fun. I also have not a lot of time to play shooters these days but would certainly participate with the games I do have for a casual score blast when I can. :)

MX7

The Tateha ESPGaluda idea is awesome, count me in! I'm up for competing in anything that I own or can play in MAME.

jpj

Quote from: cannonballWould it be OK to use the PS2 port of Espgaluda for this?
absolutely!  :D

GaijinPunch

When does it start?  I'm not back in town for a couple of days.

EOJ

Should start March 1st, from what I gather.
My score archive

Kaede

I was thinking of trying for the Tateha 1cc anyway so this is the perfect excuse to get on the case.

RGC

This little comp will truly separate the decent gamers from the wannabe's. Fuck. :oops:

cannonball

Quote from: jpj
Quote from: cannonballWould it be OK to use the PS2 port of Espgaluda for this?
absolutely!  :D
Count me in :D

jpj

cool, well i'll start a thread for it then  :)