Main Menu

Deathsmiles Xbox 360 port!

Started by EOJ, August 27, 2008, 05:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaneda

Do 360s require a fancy TV? I don`t have any desire to get an HDTV but the console is getting hard to ignore when it comes to shooters. A DFK port is now just a matter of time.

adverse

Quote from: Kaneda on August 29, 2008, 02:07:49 AM
Do 360s require a fancy TV? I don`t have any desire to get an HDTV but the console is getting hard to ignore when it comes to shooters. A DFK port is now just a matter of time.

I use my computer monitor, which although LCD gives a pretty good image.
Really though you can hook the 360 up to anything.  You've gotta get an Elite if you want HDMI support
but I've been running it through VGA and am happy with the image. 

EOJ

Quote from: adverse on August 29, 2008, 02:22:04 AM
You've gotta get an Elite if you want HDMI support

No, the normal models have had HDMI output since last year. For example, my Arcade model I bought in April has it.

@Kaneda: Xbox 360 games look best on an HDTV, but they work with SDTVs just fine.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

rtw

Quote from: EOJ on August 28, 2008, 02:17:51 PM
No, the X360 cannot output 15khz. So the graphics (on a SDTV or cab monitor) will look like the Ibara and Mushi ports - interlaced and blurry.  :(

It must be able to ouput 15khz if not you could not use it on a normal TV or with SCART ?

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Microsoft_Official_Xbox_Advanced_Scart_Cable__6554756

rtw
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work

zakk

It can do 15khz, it's 240p it can't do

Quote from: rtw on August 29, 2008, 02:55:12 AM
Quote from: EOJ on August 28, 2008, 02:17:51 PM
No, the X360 cannot output 15khz. So the graphics (on a SDTV or cab monitor) will look like the Ibara and Mushi ports - interlaced and blurry.  :(

It must be able to ouput 15khz if not you could not use it on a normal TV or with SCART ?

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Microsoft_Official_Xbox_Advanced_Scart_Cable__6554756

rtw

EOJ

Yeah, sorry. Mixed up 15khz with 240p!
My score archive

rtw

Quote from: EOJ on August 29, 2008, 03:26:30 AM

But supporting 240p is a HDTV screen limitation it shouldn't matter to the XBOX360 ?

rtw

jonny5

so i should be able to hook it up to the cab then......hmmmmm......might have to look into hacking some pads and finding out if the 360 VGA cable will work with the JPAC....

could be interesting

zakk

As I understand it it's not a 'supported' resolution on the 360, none of the development APIs support etc.
Maybe you can do it if you're willing to go around the APIs, but even then you have to consider what the internal scaler is capable of (it's possible it doesn't even output 240p)

Quote from: rtw on August 29, 2008, 07:00:52 AM
Quote from: EOJ on August 29, 2008, 03:26:30 AM

But supporting 240p is a HDTV screen limitation it shouldn't matter to the XBOX360 ?

rtw

KOMA

According to this blog Death Smiles black label or something is on way.

adverse

Quote from: KOMA on August 30, 2008, 07:09:53 AM
According to this blog Death Smiles black label or something is on way.

Scan mentions that there is a new character and new stage(s?).  Looks like fun!

Edit:  Obviously new character is probably Sakura.

Gwyrgyn

Wonder if Black Label will make it to the port or if it will end up like Ibara.

EOJ

Nice, clear pics up at famitsu.com:

http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1217616_1407.html

Here's a sample:

The graphics definitely have a slight blur to them, in true CAVE port tradition.
My score archive

innerpattern

really looking forward to playing this!
getting a JP360 not so much  :mad:
but with Ketsui and more shmups coming it seems like the logical choice.

EOJ

JP X360s should be pretty cheap ($250-ish) and quite reliable with the new chipset by the time any of the CAVE ports are released. So it should not be something you dread, but rather something you look forward to. :)
My score archive

Shalashaska

Wow, didn't see this coming. As soon as those new Jasper X360's are confirmed to be out I'm definately taking the plunge. Hopefully this is a good sign of things to come. Even if the ports are sub-par, it will be better (and more affordable) than nothing for many people.

EOJ

Quote from: Shalashaska on September 01, 2008, 01:12:44 AM
Even if the ports are sub-par, it will be better (and more affordable) than nothing for many people.

Definitely. For $60 or whatever, it's a no brainer. And the online scoreboard ranking makes it a fun, competitive experience. I just can't view it as a replacement for the original if the slowdown and other intricacies of the gameplay are not faithfully reproduced.
My score archive

innerpattern

Being a cab owner/enthusiast I think of these ports as a kind of test drive. If you really like it, you buy it (PCB), otherwise it was only $60. I'll probably end up finding some other J and region free 360 games too  :righton:

EOJ

Official CAVE site for the port has opened:

http://www.cave.co.jp/gameonline/Xbox360/deathsmiles/index.html

The official box art is shown there, along with some new pics.

It doesn't look like the "mega black label" version will be included with this port.

Also, they have a blog running from the port director (some guy named Asada):

http://cave-game.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/

He will be updating it every friday with progress on the port. Pretty nice! You can also email him comments/questions/requests (in Japanese!) at the provided email address on that page.
My score archive

rtw

Quote from: EOJ

He will be updating it every friday with progress on the port. Pretty nice! You can also email him comments/questions/requests (in Japanese!) at the provided email address on that page.

How about emailing him and asking if it will be region free ? :D

rtw

KOMA

It will be nice but honestly buying a JPN Xbox360 is the key.

adverse

Quote from: rtw on September 01, 2008, 04:31:35 AM
Quote from: EOJ

How about emailing him and asking if it will be region free ? :D

rtw

Already did it!   :laugh:

EOJ

One thing I find a bit disconcerting is that in his blog, the guy doing the port (Asada) says he's "in the middle of entering the CAVE company". So he's a newbie, and this is apparently his first (test?) project. He said he's done something or other with Microsoft before, but that's about it. 
My score archive

Geezer

Btw, there have been a few region free JPN 360 releases recently, Too Human, Soul Calibur IV and Lost Planet Colonies. I think MS have slightly relaxed their region coding policies for JPN games :cool:
While this won't help for the shmups already released, for future releases I think the odds of region free shmups in future are slightly better now. If Cave/5pb won't be selling western rights to their ports I' d be unsurprised if they were region free.

EOJ

Those games are only region free because they are not JP-exclusive. There is still no JP-exclusive X360 game that is region free.
My score archive

gsl

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but I wonder if that's not some evolved function of the "western audiences wouldn't get it" mindset of two decades ago that gave us continually reworked RPGs and the original Super Mario 2 almost a decade after its original release. In an era when the interoperability of import games basically hinges on a single option set during the game's publishing cycle, yet only games guaranteed a release outside of Japan are given this freedom-of-export, it seems to me completely backwards that you wouldn't want to lock multiple-region releases to their home region and open up region-specific titles to the possibility of export--more copies sold is more copies sold, right?  I still have no clue why--licensing or other legal issues aside, which I highly doubt would apply in this case--Japanese publishers are so allergic to the possibility of more copies being sold outside of the home islands.  It's not like Microsoft is following the Gillette model of "Give the razor away for free, make profit on the blades" that's been Nintendo's philosophy with its past two home consoles, so I wouldn't imagine it's some tinfoil hat-esque plot to put more Japanese 360's in homes no matter their location.

It just puzzles me, and not simply in the context of Cave games being freely playable on non-Japanese systems; I just don't understand why a company wouldn't want to potentially expand its market base or sell a few more copies with such a simple system in place for doing so.

EOJ

My score archive

adverse

Anyone else think it's weird that we have Deathsmiles cover art but nothing at all for Ketsui X or DDPDOJ BL?

EOJ

The blog was updated today. Interesting post about more possible CAVE ports. Basically the guy says they have nothing planned now, and they're just trying to finish Deathsmiles. He says possible contenders for a future port are 2 games that are "as well-known as Deathsmiles". I'd say he's likely talking about Mushi Futari, Espgaluda II, or DDP DFK.

He also said info on the LE items, as well as the extra features of the port (including any possible added mode) will be announced in mid-late October.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

Semi OT:

Is there any type of XRGB style device that will input VGA (or Component) and add the fake scanlines? 
If I have a 360, I'm sure I'll pick these up for shits and giggles.