Main Menu

Deathsmiles Xbox 360 port!

Started by EOJ, August 27, 2008, 05:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

Quote from: trev1976 on April 28, 2009, 01:10:26 PM

EOJ you just made my day , thanks :)

Make sure you read my subsequent post about the weird ripple effect on the backgrounds. 
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

KOMA

Mode 1.1 is very nice but damn hard to play with that that option.

trev1976

Quote from: EOJ on April 28, 2009, 02:34:00 PM
Quote from: trev1976 on April 28, 2009, 01:10:26 PM

EOJ you just made my day , thanks :)

Make sure you read my subsequent post about the weird ripple effect on the backgrounds. 

oh god damn   :-\  hmm ill check it out myself when i get round to it , got to get a JAP 360 yet might see if GP can get me one ;), damn shame about the ripple effect tho :'(

EOJ

My score archive

Megalixir

A CRT is definitely the way to go, I've found that Xbox 360 mode's backgrounds blend in way better. Playing it on an LCD isn't out of the question, though. I just wouldn't bother with Arcade mode then.

How important is the lock shot? I've never played this before, and my Death Smiles stick only has 3 buttons (left, right and bomb I guess).

EOJ

For the lock-shot use A+B (except in ver 1.1). It's very important to scoring, and enables you to enter power up mode. You can read more in my guide:

http://www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=281.0
My score archive

GaijinPunch

Don't they still give off more crowns w/ the lock shot in 1.1?  That 10-bil replay uses it (on the eyeball things) to refill... also getting the counter up to 1000 it's necessary, and don't forget refilling on the boss... that's huge.

EOJ

yeah, all the enemy shot-type stuff is still the same in ver 1.1 (e.g. use lock-shot on the islands in the Forest when in power up mode for more crowns).
My score archive

GaijinPunch

Does the item counter deplete faster w/ A+B rather than A or B, etc?  Seems like it, but then again, I'm an idiot w/ such stuff.
Also, how do I add someone as a friend?  Just type their name in and it sends some type of invitation?

Megalixir

Wow, thanks for the fantastic guide, I leaned a lot. This is one of those games that I really want to get into. I wasn't even aware that you could use A + B outside of power up to use the lock shot. So yeah, 3 buttons should be enough.

What are the advantages of the turbo settings? Does your option fire faster or something? Also, is the volcanic boss exploit/bug still in the port?

EOJ

Quote from: Megalixir on April 28, 2009, 10:52:04 PM

What are the advantages of the turbo settings? Does your option fire faster or something? Also, is the volcanic boss exploit/bug still in the port?

Turbo lets you use the shot without having to tap A or B. You need to use shot on many enemies (such as the green eyeballs) to get max crowns.
In the arcade you just had to tap A or B, and that's what I'm used to, so that's what I use (plus I don't have enough buttons on my stick to choose otherwise).

I don't know anything about a volcanic boss exploit. I've never seen any guy with a good score use it, so it doesn't seem to be of importance. Ditto with the "tutorial bug".
My score archive

Megalixir

Dunno where the vid went, but the guy basically manages to make the volcanic boss' firewall useless, it just stays on the screen and you can move freely around in it. It might have been a one-off, though I wonder if any of these bugs will surface now that the port's out.

Megalixir

Are bombs based on the location of your character, or the location of your option? I'm trying to strategically bomb on the huge rock in the volcanic level and it isn't working like the replay suggests. He's in Fever mode, and he bombs around the time the green eyeballs on the right reach the top of the screen. I'm not sure if it has to do with bombing at the right position, at the right time of the power-up counter, or what. Seems like he bombs at 250, which brings it back to 0, then high crowns drop everywhere and he's bakc to 1000 instantly. Seems like I'm doing the same but it doesn't drop high crowns, max I'll get is maybe back to 400 or so.

It's the top Windia replay, btw.

GaijinPunch

It's based on your option, and the direction you're facing.

I hooked up the my 360 to the Arcade monitor.  Looks fantastic in 1.1.  Didn't try 360 mode.  Arcade mode in 480p is about the worst thing I've seen in the consumer market.  Totally unplayable.  Not sure what it would look interlaced.  I tried to take some photos w/ different settings, but they all came out pretty shit.

trev1976

thanks for the doing the comparison EOJ very helpful  :righton:

EOJ

I think some of the "achievement lovers" out there are never going to get a few of the juicier achievements in this game - such as 1CCing ver 1.1 and getting through all 5 stages in ver 1.1 plus the Canyon all at rank 3 with NO CONTINUES. Those both take actual skill. I 1CC'd ver 1.1 last night but I was down to my last life and no bombs. Not easy, because you only get 1 bomb per life.

Personally I don't give a rat's ass about achievement points, but some people take this stuff seriously.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

I take it your 1CC was w/o the Canyon?  I've gotten to the boss, but didn't even make it to the halfway mark.  The 1-bomb per life really puts a damper on things.  Did you do all Rank 3?

EOJ

Yeah, no canyon. Mostly rank 3, one or two rank 2s.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

Thought about doing that as well.  I find the volcano harder than the castle for the most part.  It's just the boss that's a total dick.

EOJ

I just did a 3.97bil ALL with Windia in ver 1.1 (all rank 3). I'm currently ranked #18 in the ver 1.1 No EX chart. I'll put the score up in the hi score forum in a minute.

BTW the new top score in the ver 1.1 EX chart is 12 bil.  :o
My score archive

adverse

Media Create sales numbers are out for Deathsmiles:

06./00. [360] Death Smiles (Cave) - 20,000 / NEW

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=360145

Asada said on the Deathsmiles blog that CAVE received 20,000 orders for the game.  If Asada was talking about numbers shipped, then this means that the first shipment completely sold out. Still, I saw some copies at my local Sofmap so this means that there was probably already a second shipment since Media Create sales numbers are pretty reliable.

Other observations:

The game charted at #6 in game software sales.  That is extremely good for a 360 game, and for a shooter.  Quite curious to see how it charts next week.

I picked up a copy of the new Famitsu 360 mag and they indicate that Otomedius' first week sales were 14,586.  DDPDOJBLEX had 10,526.

Once word spreads about the quality of the port I'm sure that it will be the best-selling shooter on the system and perhaps even push its way into the 40k range, which is enough to qualify along with games like Fallout 3 etc. in the top 10 360 games sales-wise per year.  If that happens, MS will certainly start to pay more attention to shooters than it already is.

GaijinPunch

I just fucked up a great run up until 3-1... then died three times, punched my fucking monitor and decided to put some more time into Oboromuramasa.  I hate this fucking hobby sometimes.

20k is a great number for the 360.  What 360 game has the highest launch numbers, I wonder.

adverse

Last Remnant narrowly beats Tales of Vesparia with 102,107 sold first week.

Pretty nice breakdown of all the first week numbers and year-on-year sales in the latest Fami360 since the 360 just broke 1 million consoles sold here.

Megalixir

The instant recharge stuff is a gigantic pain in the ass. Was it replaced with something else in MBL?

Edit: I guess you can't practice bosses in practice mode either.

GaijinPunch

The recharge wasn't replaced in MBL (or 1.1) but it was somewhat dulled down since you can power up at 500 in MBL, and 100 in 1.1.   The kicker is some character's recharge differently.  Follett can do most of them w/o a bomb, but the timing has to be perfect.

Megalixir

Ok. I just tried online co-op with Khoa and it's fucking terrible. If you live outside of Japan, playing online is impossible. The netcode isn't like clientside, meaning it isn't like Otomedius at all, but rather both sides have to sync up properly in order for it to progress.

Ugh, of all games, DS sucks at netcode and Otomedius is fine.

EOJ

You can't bomb to recharge in ver 1.1, and while you can do it in MBL, it's not really worth it. You're better off conserving your bombs as unlike vanilla DS, when you die it really hurts your score, so suiciding for a fresh bomb stock is out of the question.
My score archive

Megalixir

Just managed a 1.71 bill score in ver 1.1. I've only played this about 10 times though, and I don't really understand the final stage at all. I must be doing something wrong, because I'm only rank 88, and this is a pretty small leaderboard.

EOJ

Anyone else notice your scores don't save to the in-game (all time, not "today's") leaderboards? Everytime I start the game from a fresh load all my scores are wiped. I have automatic saving turned on. Must be a bug, they should be fixing it for the upcoming patch.

Or does this only happen when you install the game to a hdd? I've never played without the game installed.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

I've not checked what place I am, but I've got 2.6 bil or so, w/o a clear.  On the flip side, I know the scoring system quite well, but I've not played the other variants seriously in months.  I popped MBL in recently but only played it about 20 credits or so.  Need to revisit it.  The spread in scoring in 1.1 is huge.  You really have to know how to get the most skulls out the enemies, and wear to do it.  I'm sure I could get 4+ bil if I would quit fucking up.  Dying really kills your score.  If I die before 3-2, I pretty much restart (means I've only entered my name three times).