Main Menu

Deathsmiles Xbox 360 port!

Started by EOJ, August 27, 2008, 05:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

Quote from: adverse on April 21, 2009, 01:22:35 AM
I sympathize with why you bought that Otomedius stick, almost all the 360 arcade sticks suck!

It was a pretty good deal for $299, as it includes the otomedius game. I just checked, and it seems
I wasn't the only one with this idea, as the Otomedius stick package is now sold out on Play-Asia.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

adverse

LOL, but Otomedius is trash man.  Sell that shit with the quickness.

OK, so I picked up Deathsmiles today!!   :righton: :righton:

I have to say that we have finally arrived in a new era of shooting.  High-res, good games and online leaderboards that are sure to keep the competition hot.
Deathsmiles is a really well done port from the two hours I spent with it today. 

Notes:

1.  New graphics look really nice and frankly strictly in those terms is a better presentation than the PCB.
2.  There is a training mode!  I dunno if I had read about this before, but it's very nice with DOJ PS2 style detailed options for how you want to set yourself before the level.
3.  Version 1.1 is pretty hard so far, but I haven't gotten the hang of controlling the option with the second stick yet.
4.  Default button placement is a little weird...bomb at Y doesn't make much sense to me.  I think a better config is X- left laser, B- right laser, A- Lock-on, Y-bomb.
5.  MBL is NOT available yet.  Should be up in a week or so if the 360 article is to be believed.
6.  Leaderboards are not working yet.
7.  Slowdown-wise, I find I have the most trouble with the speed-up after power-up mode wears off.  Mostly it's pretty manageable, but there were a few times where the bullets were speeding up really fast.  The apples on the tree boss do have less slowdown than the PCB, but it really is manageable.  There is still some slowdown there.  The last boss' first form is much easier IMO, but there is a danmaku after he surrounds you with both hands that seems really fast.  Not sure how much this is different from the arcade version since I usually died in the canyon lol.  Speaking of the canyon, the boss seems harder than the arcade version.  Also, the volcano level boss seems to be tougher than the arcade version.  Overall though I have to say that the slowdown is pretty faithfully reproduced and you can tell that they worked pretty hard on it.  Time will tell if there are real problems somewhere though.

Summary: Worth the buy.  Do it, I can already say this is the best new shmup on 360.

adverse

One more:

You can't skip the story sequences.   :mad:

jpj

i always hated that about deathsmiles  :-\ god knows how the pros managed to put up with it

SuperPang

EOJ

Quote from: KOMA on April 21, 2009, 02:48:58 PM
Thank adverse.
Good quality footage
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm6814417

Nice to see, thanks. The slowdown was very poorly emulated in the graveyard stage. That's clear as day to anyone who has played this game in depth.
Frankly in terms of just slowdown emulation this looks worse than the DDPDOJBLEX port.  :-\
My score archive

Strider77

then play the PCB for perfect slowdown....    if anything a lower score from 360 version would hold more bragging rights than the PCB since it's be more difficult.

EOJ

You're missing the point: I shouldn't have to spend $500+ on the PCB just to get accurate slowdown. This is not the standard we should accept in ports in this day and age.

Again, I realize many of you don't care about this. But for someone like me who cares a lot about high-level scoring based on the standard set by the arcade version, this is a big deal.
My score archive

Strider77

I get what you are saying but get the PCB if it's that big a deal.....    I have Ibara, Mushi, and mushi 2 BL ect on PCB. It doesn't seem like the slowdown is Ibara PS2 off or anything.

I don't see why you'd mind it that much especially since even IF the slowdown was perfect the scoring threads would still keep the PCB and home version seperate.

EOJ

Quote from: Strider77 on April 21, 2009, 07:10:15 PM

I don't see why you'd mind it that much especially since even IF the slowdown was perfect the scoring threads would still keep the PCB and home version seperate.

No they wouldn't be separate. Look at the Galuda port, for example. Pretty close to perfect, and no one considers scores on that port as anything but completely comparable with scores on the PCB.

You're right the slowdown isn't as bad as Ibara, but that's because Ibara's port had all of the slowdown completely removed. From what I've seen thus far, this
DS port is worse than Mushi but (obviously) better than Ibara, in regard to slowdown emulation. It looks about 50% accurate, with herky-jerky speed-ups when you come out of the slowdown (just like the Mushi port). At least half of the slowdown on the graveyard stage is completely absent (including important slowdown on the boss), for example.
My score archive

necpmf

Quote from: Strider77 on April 21, 2009, 07:10:15 PM
I get what you are saying but get the PCB if it's that big a deal.....
The whole point of a port is that you don't have to buy a PCB.

Wait a second, are you that 5pb programmer in disguise... ?

Strider77

I'd rather it be perfect also....   I'm just saying for the price it seems pretty nice with some effort thrown in. We'll see how good soon enough, or how bad.

Monouchi

DS + 1400 Points on its way.  :righton:

Now I only have to get a HD for my Jap 360. (Yes, it came without one..)  :P

SuperPang

Here's a thought, perhaps slowdown in the arcade games is a hardware limitation that the developer works around. When it comes to the port they can choose to remove some of the slowdown they feel spoilt the arcade version and keep it in other areas where its needed.

Kiken

Quote from: adverse on April 21, 2009, 09:14:27 AM
OK, so I picked up Deathsmiles today!!   :righton: :righton:

Does the tutorial jewel counter glitch work in this version?

adverse

I've only heard about that.  How do you do it?

Monouchi

Quote from: SuperPang on April 22, 2009, 06:51:43 AM
Here's a thought, perhaps slowdown in the arcade games is a hardware limitation that the developer works around. When it comes to the port they can choose to remove some of the slowdown they feel spoilt the arcade version and keep it in other areas where its needed.

..I dont know how it works exactly these days, but yes, isnt the slowdown a hardware limit of moving sprites?
And in todays ports they could prolly remove all slowdown? ....but now the people that plays the games has learned to play with slowdown....just as people once learned how to use combos in SFII...that originally was a glitch.

I am a videogame developer and slowdown by too much stuff on screen is a big problem.
We learn how to utilize the memory better...but we also invent more nice effects,sounds, code etc that brings down the frame rate.

Was DS made on the SH3?
What I am curious about is...could the SH3 handle DS or Daifukkatsu without any slowdown today? ...is Cave "emulating" slowdown today?
...or is the truth that the new games are even too heavy for the new hardware? :oogle:

EOJ

6min vid of ver 1.1:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm6827655

Another interesting thing: if you choose all level 1 in ver 1.1 or Xbox 360 mode, you don't have any suicide bullets in the Canyon stage.
My score archive

adverse

Whoa just got my Deathsmiles stick!

Totally wasn't expecting this since I got no notice at all from Amazon but bam! there it is today.

Shame I have absolutely zero time to play either DS or with the stick since I'm packing to move right now.  : /

Shalashaska

Looks very nice! Let us know how it is once you get some time!  :righton:

thamasha69

Whoa that stick is nice!  Is there any difference between that and the HRAP EX besides the artwork?  Also, I got the shipping notification from Play Asia early this morning for my copy of Death Smiles - how long is shipping from them normally?

EOJ

That does look pretty cool (for the people who asked, it's a normal RAP EX, just with DS artwork).

My copy of DS hasn't shipped because for some reason the PA idiots decided to give my 1400 pt XB live card to someone else, and they're holding up my order of it with DS & the Otomedius stick package until they get the 1400 pt cards back in stock. I say "decided to give" because from sunday to monday they had the 1400 pt card reserved for me, and yesterday they took it off my order. Of course it would be nice if they just sent DS and the stick now, and the 1400pt card later, but they apparently won't do that and I cannot change any details about my order.
My score archive

adverse

For those in the know, is the HRAP EX as easy to mod as the HRAP3 for the PS3?  I put a sanwa stick in my PS3 stick really easy, but was slaving over a HORI EX2 mod for awhile.  The HRAPEX for 360 should be an easy swap-out for an LS-32 for instance, yes?  Might change the buttons too since Hori buttons are awful.

EOJ

I think putting in an LS-32 in a RAP EX is pretty hard - you have to drill in places, and solder. The buttons are a breeze, just freely swap those.
The RAP EX's Sanwa stick is pretty good, so I'd just stick with that.
My score archive

adverse

Sounds good. 

Man, I wonder if I'll ever touch that EX2 solder job again.   :laugh:

EOJ

My score archive

Monouchi

Quote from: EOJ on April 22, 2009, 11:55:58 PM
That does look pretty cool (for the people who asked, it's a normal RAP EX, just with DS artwork).

My copy of DS hasn't shipped because for some reason the PA idiots decided to give my 1400 pt XB live card to someone else, and they're holding up my order of it with DS & the Otomedius stick package until they get the 1400 pt cards back in stock. I say "decided to give" because from sunday to monday they had the 1400 pt card reserved for me, and yesterday they took it off my order. Of course it would be nice if they just sent DS and the stick now, and the 1400pt card later, but they apparently won't do that and I cannot change any details about my order.

Hope it was not my fault, I ordered DS + a 1400 card from PA yesterday...  :-X

KOMA

I love the box more than the stick! =D
The game can be display to full screen?

EOJ

Quote from: Monouchi on April 23, 2009, 02:07:31 AM

Hope it was not my fault, I ordered DS + a 1400 card from PA yesterday...  :-X

Ha, it's OK.  ;) I just emailed them and told them to just send the stick and the game and forget about the 1400 point card, and they said that's OK.  =D
My score archive