Main Menu

Under Defeat HD [JP X360/ PS3]

Started by EOJ, October 31, 2011, 02:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

Pretty cool of Grev to port this game to newer consoles. According to this site, the details about this release are as follows:

-It's a retail package/disc release (not an XBLA/PSN title!)
-It will have a limited edition
-It will have a widescreen mode, mission modes, and TATE support
-Release is Spring 2012

Too bad it's not a download title, I'd have liked to get this for $10-$15, instead of $70+.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

emphatic

Quote from: EOJ on October 31, 2011, 02:14:34 AMToo bad it's not a download title, I'd have liked to get this for $10-$15, instead of $70+.

Agreed, they better do a major overhaul of the graphic textures to warrant a disc release IMHO.

antares

Imo Under Defeat still has the most impressive 3D graphics ever seen in a shmup. If they do a disc release they'll surely make it even more impressive, well that's what I hope for :)

Orochi S

That is wonderful news! I love G.Rev - I will be getting this for sure  :righton:

Wonder if Border Down is on the cards, too??

Let_It_Be

I've honestly never played this game, what makes it stand out besides the graphics?

Orochi S

Quote from: Let_It_Be on November 01, 2011, 10:05:11 PM
I've honestly never played this game, what makes it stand out besides the graphics?

There are a couple of detailed reviews on Shmups Forum here http://shmups.system11.org/viewforum.php?f=10&start=60

I really like Grev, although I realise that some of their games may not be to everyone's taste (Senko no Ronde etc).

EOJ

My score archive

Orochi S

Looking very nice indeed - I hope we don't have to wait too long for the release.

EOJ

New update from Dengeki:

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/423/423901/

The SE will be 5880yen, and the LE will be 8,379yen (for both PS3 and X360). The LE will come with three bonus discs: a 2 disc soundtrack set and a superplay DVD of the arcade version called INSANITY DVD THE SOLDIER OF FORTUNE ?UNDER DEFEAT".
My score archive

EOJ

X360 version will be region locked:

http://www.facebook.com/notes/grev-ltd/region-free/224814294252251

They also elude to there being no more region free games from Japan from any company. Weird. Wonder what happened.

Anyway, for this game you can play it on any PS3, so it shouldn't be a problem for most people.
My score archive

Orochi S

Sweeeet - I'll be pre-ordering that LE  :righton:

TimingTripod40

...And now I'm reminded why I hate Microsoft. (proud Linux user)

Orochi S

I can't imagine that there are many people who would want to buy this who don't already have a JP Xbox. It's poo if no more games can EVER be region free, though...  :-\

emphatic

Think positive, no more region free games might mean that all the nagging stops when "hardcore gamers" finally learn that importing a Japanese system comes with the territory.  :laugh:

Daverost

I'm honestly pretty upset by the notion that we may never seen another region-free 360 game.

Van_Artic

2 disc OST?
superplay DVD?

i want to preorder NOW <3

Orochi S

drunkninja

I have a J360, but I'm honestly considering picking this up on PS3 just for the fact that I'd like to spread my shmup collection across consoles a bit.

Orochi S

Update on the Grev page. This is looking fantastic - I'm so looking forward to it!

http://www.grev.co.jp/udhd/about.html

espibara

SO excited for this one of the best shooters ever made

Orochi S

MagicT

Kewing

I had promised myself I wouldn't buy any more of these expensive JP LE releases, but the CD soundtrack (curse you Yasui, you're too good) and the inmediateness of the PS3 region free is making me doubt; it would certainly be a good break from the usual Cave madness.
However I'm being put off by the rather low number of extra/arrange modes (whereas in Cave you usually have 2+ arrange modes, even maybe Black Label). Does the new mode have any substantial gameplay/level design changes, or is it the exact same game as the AC version but just in 16:9?

EOJ

Something interesting to note: On Amazon.co.jp the X360 versions have had more preorders than the PS3 versions every time I check. Currently, their sales rankings are:

Xbox 360 Regular Edition
PS3 Regular Edition
Xbox 360 Limited Edition
PS3 Limited Edition

It seems the shooter crowd is indeed primarily on the X360. It will be interesting to see if the Media Create charts show a different trend. Those charts do not include online sales, which are said to make up about 50% of a STG's sales these days. It will also be interesting to see if foreign sales help push the PS3 version up above the X360 one in the long term, due to it being region free, unlike the X360 version.
My score archive

twoup

I ended up doing the weak willed thing and pre ordered the ps3 ltd ed as well as the 360 std ed. Will probably play a bit more on 360 just due to the seimitsu stick, only got a sanwa for ps3. Those 2 versions combined with the ps3 version of gal gun make over 200 bucks just for versions of games I already own, sad stuff. Looking forward to playing with the new soundtrack though & 16:9 mode should be alright if mamoru kun ps3 is anything to go by.

EOJ

Some first impressions here (starting from post #28):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463748

No boss music in the new arrange mode is bizarro (but it sounds like you can switch to the Arcade OST if you want), and no replay upload/downloads sucks big time, but other than that, it's sounding nice. I ordered the X360 version, should have it by the weekend I hope.
My score archive

EOJ

I got my copy this morning and played a credit of New Order mode and Arcade. New Order is pretty nice, and Arcade feels like it did on the DC. Options are nice and plentiful, you can switch between 16:9 and 16:10 for the screen, but no 4:3 option. There's a gallery, training mode with replay saves, and full leaderboards. Load times are very quick, but I have it installed on the hdd.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with this. The game looks pretty gorgeous on the X360.
My score archive

emphatic

What do you mean "no 4:3 option"?  ???

EOJ

I looked at the instruction manual and it says if your tv is not widescreen, the screen options change to 4:3 or 5:4. So nothing to worry about.
My score archive

EOJ

Quote from: Orochi S on February 17, 2012, 02:12:01 PM
Is a PAL version of this on the way?

http://www.amazon.fr/G-Rev-Under-defeat-HD/dp/B006ZXKUB0/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1329410433&sr=1-1

Looking forward to getting my JP version very soon  :righton:

That listing is an error, according to Grev:

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=382484578434400&id=194052213944305

I'm really loving the open feel of New Order mode. Arcade mode feels really constrained in comparison.
My score archive