Roundtable STG Dev interview Famitsu 360 July

Started by adverse, May 29, 2010, 11:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adverse

Feature interview with Maruyama (Grev), Kamiko (Konami), Horii(M2), Fujino(Triangle Service), Chatani(Gulchi), Asada (CAVE), Hoshino (Moss), Saitou (Gulchi).

The discussion is about the current state of shooters, the reasons for the genre's popularity on the 360, and the companies' future plans.

Let's cut straight to the chase:

-Most of the companies mention that their reason for choosing the 360 to put out shooters was Grev and MOSS' decision to put out games during the early period.  
-Maruyama (Grev) mentions that at the time, the only machine with a strong network functionality was the 360 and this was key for Senko.  Kamiko (Konami) mentions the same network usability was important for the Otomedius port.
-All describe working on the 360 as much easier than the PS3, particularly thanks to DirectX dev tools.
-Maruyama mentions that it only took a few days to port the arcade version of Senko DUO to 360 due to developing on a PC base.
-Asada says that the CAVE programming team can port a game from PCB to 360 in 2 to 3 days at this point.
-Almost all in attendance mention that they are doing R&D on the PS3. Grev is the exception.  Asada indicates potential interest in PS3 development "if there's a market there".
-Triangle Service is working on a new PCB
-Asada prods Maruyama on Grev's shooter that they location tested, and Maruyama says that it probably won't make it to arcades.
-Asada mentions the 360 exclusive title CAVE is developing might be released next year.  He mentions Guwange, 1 unannounced game, and then maybe one more title, which he personally wants to be an Adventure-style game (groan).

emphatic

2 or 3 days?  :o I wonder if that includes ALL CAVE games that's not been released so far.

lillin

By 2-3 days he probably means a straight arcade port. And that the DSII arcade mode does not have a practice mode or leaderboards, just shows that it was probably slapped together in a very short time.
Oh come on now an adventure title?  :-\ Give us MMP or Pink Sweets instead. =D

gsl

Did he mention anything specific about Guwange, or was the implication that it's still trapped in XBLA approval purgatory?

lmagus

All I want is that the unnanounced game is DFK

markedkiller78

Thanks adverse :)

It's intersting to see how quick they can port a game. I'm a fan of the 360 modes, so I'm happy to wait a while for some hi-Rez visuals, but gwange is taking as long as ketsui.....

dmauro

After playing DSIIX, I believe him about the 2-3 day time frame  :)

GaijinPunch

Quote-Triangle Service is working on a new PCB

What's the fucking point?

MX7

Quote from: GaijinPunch on June 01, 2010, 04:49:07 AM
Quote-Triangle Service is working on a new PCB

What's the fucking point?

I just laughed a bit too hard  :laugh:

gsl

The dude's like the Ed Wood of shooting games.