Muchi Muchi Pork! & Pink Sweets [February 24, 2011, JP X360] REGION FREE

Started by EOJ, August 14, 2010, 03:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plasmo

Haven't played any shmups for quite some time now and was looking forward very much to this awesome port, so that I can fully dedicate myself to a game again. Now that I read that rapid B is not possible I'm very disappointed. The reason I stopped playing the PCB, was that I had no autofire stick (and no money to buy one) and thus I was hoping for the perfect port. Now I'm just hating you CAVE.  :facepalm:

Quote from: EOJPretty sure Plasmo said he wasn't going to play it anymore without infinite lives + rapid B, but you'd have to ask him.

Yep, that's right. Playing without the infinite lives trick is so absurdly difficult. I mean, it's interesting in a very masochistic way, but I wouldn't start trying again. Stage 6 is the wall.

Quote from: ICRAhh well, never mind. No infinite lives run, here I come!

You will die a thousand deaths.  ^-^

Anyway, I'm too much of an optimistic person to be sad. Pink Sweets will still be playable, maybe the arrange mode is awesome and after all there's still MMP waiting.
I'll have my fun.

@EOJ
Definitely let us know if the infinite lives trick is in the game at all. Would be quite a laugh if they would have gotten rid of it completely.  :rolleyes:

My copy will ship from Amiami in a few days. Expect scores in 3-4 weeks from me.

Sapz

Well, there's always Pink Sweets 1.01. If the list of changes is any indication, it seems the difficulty will be more reasonable, maybe closer to standard Yagawa fare? Not a replacement for the original by any means, but likely fun in its own right.

evil_ash_xero

No rapid fire? That's stupid.

I will be getting this today. Looking forward to playing MMP.

bcass

Had a couple of attempts at the infinite lives trick on 1.00 but I'm affraid it's beyond my scope after just 1 day of play.  Doesn't help that I've been mostly playing 1.01 which is a lot easier.

It looks like 1.00 and 1.01 scores do indeed share the same leaderboards.  There's a tiny "Ver1.01" icon on the 1.01 scores and no icon when it's a 1.00 score.  Another cheap oversight IMO.

Something I've been wondering though - what does Muchi Muchi translate as?

Plasmo

What's the difference between 1.00 and 1.01? Sorry, this has probably been answered a million times before...

QuoteSomething I've been wondering though - what does Muchi Muchi translate as?

Muchi Muchi means "chubby". Think of all the chubby pig girls on their motorbikes. The story of MMP is hilarious.

bcass

Quote from: Plasmo on February 25, 2011, 08:41:56 AM
What's the difference between 1.00 and 1.01? Sorry, this has probably been answered a million times before...

http://www.cave-stg.com/?p=1032#more-1032

-You can now release a rose cracker before it is fully charged – the rose cracker will have a shorter duration than a fully charged rose cracker.
-Respawn time after a death is very quick (it is painfully slow in Arcade Pink Sweets), pretty much the same as Ibara Kuro
-You get one rose hip and a level one straight shot upon respawn (after a death). Arcade Pink Sweets gave you nothing but the default pea shooter.
-Enemies are weaker, and thus they die faster.
-You can have up to 3 rose hips at once (in the Arcade version, you can only have up to 2).
-Rank raises slower than in the Arcade version.
-You can lower the rank quickly by letting 10K medals drop of the screen (just don't drop your medal chain). This makes the game significantly easier than ver 1.00.

Quote from: Plasmo on February 25, 2011, 08:41:56 AM
QuoteSomething I've been wondering though - what does Muchi Muchi translate as?

Muchi Muchi means "chubby". Think of all the chubby pig girls on their motorbikes. The story of MMP is hilarious.

Haha, I'd love to read it.  Has it been translated?  I never thought I'd live to see pork and lard referenced in a game.

Icarus

Quote from: Plasmo on February 25, 2011, 05:13:25 AM
Quote from: ICRAhh well, never mind. No infinite lives run, here I come!

You will die a thousand deaths.  ^-^

Anyway, I'm too much of an optimistic person to be sad. Pink Sweets will still be playable, maybe the arrange mode is awesome and after all there's still MMP waiting.
I'll have my fun.

If you're not dying a thousand deaths in a Yagawa game, you're not doing it properly. ^_-
Was looking forward to getting into a proper score battle with you this time anyway, but we'll see how it goes.

Plasmo

QuoteWas looking forward to getting into a proper score battle with you this time anyway, but we'll see how it goes.

Got me! Of course I have to accept the challenge, I'm in!
Having played the PCB for quite some time, I probably have a slight advantage, but I'm sure you'll get me in no time. Let's see who's first to reach stage 7 without infinite lives shall we.  :)

When does your copy arrive?

Icarus

Quote from: Plasmo on February 25, 2011, 10:11:15 AM
Got me! Of course I have to accept the challenge, I'm in!
Having played the PCB for quite some time, I probably have a slight advantage, but I'm sure you'll get me in no time. Let's see who's first to reach stage 7 without infinite lives shall we.  :)

When does your copy arrive?

Mine's already shipped out from Japan, and should be here hopefully by Monday at the earliest. I've been looking forward to this port the most out of all of them, to be honest, so it'll be nice to play them properly without messing around with my setup, like when I had my PCBs.

SuperPang

Is it just me or is there too much slowdown?
Nicely presented otherwise, except for a couple of goofs. Liking PS v1.01.

hipgnosis

Okay I gotta say this, Pink Sweets sounds so fucking weird. So the correct version of this game requires you to do a glitch where you gain infinite lives for the rest of the game. Doing this glitch is extremely hard and only some talented players can do this. So how the fuck is this possible? Is this really good game design, and why do fans of the game defend this kind of gameplay? I'm not trying to bash the game and I'm sure I'll enjoy it as a Yagawa fanboy, I'm just pretty confused with the glitch and fans defending it.

EOJ

You are not required to do it - some people have 1CC'd the game without the infinite lives trick. And the infinite lives trick is about as hard as 1CCing Mushi Futari Maniac 1.5 IF you have rapid B. Without rapid B it's a royal pain in the ass.

The infinite lives trick is clever and fun. It opens the second half of the game up into a pure score attack and invites some really creative boss milking techniques that require precise rank manipulation.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

hipgnosis

Okay so it's like a whole different mode then. I think I finally understand, pretty weird stuff nonetheless.

drunkninja

Got my copy, both games seem pretty fun so far.  The only thing I don't like is the lack of an attract mode.  I really liked firing up the other games on my Astro and then leaving them running while I play some other stuff in the room to kinda add to the arcade feel of my game room.

Tain

EOJ

You select them in the MMP option/game config menu. Pretty cumbersome way of doing it.
My score archive

brentsg

Just got this.

So the difficulty bar, is that rank?  I haven't paid a lot of attention but I was surprised by this.

Tain

Yeah, by default the port overlays a rank meter. Kind of annoying if you're running it at 1080p; the bars are sloooow to move in the screen config menu.

EOJ

First impressions after a credit in four modes:

-MMP Arcade 1.0 is missing a lot of slowdown on the bosses making milking harder. The second half of Stage 4 has really jerky slowdown that wasn't in the PCB version. I got up to the stage 4 boss in my first credit (hadn't played it in over a year prior), but it felt harder than the PCB.
-Pink Sweets 1.0 feels pretty close to the PCB, but I haven't been able to try max rank yet and see how the slowdown is there.
-Pink Sweets 1.01 felt a little easier, but it's still a good challenge.
-Pink Sweets arrange is pretty fun but desperately needs a rapid A button by default. Why they didn't include this boggles my mind.

The port interface has a very junky feel to it, like one of the cheapy Sega genesis compilations for the PS2 or PS3. I think the menu system looks nice, but it's not implemented in a very user friendly way. Ditto with the leaderboards.
My score archive

brentsg

I played a few credits.

It's been a bit since I've played MMP, but it seemed like I cleared those wooden structures at the beginning of level 1 waaaay too fast.  Maybe it's just that my memory is bad but it seemed like I was able to blow them and scoop up the pigs way too quickly.

Anyways it seems a nice package.  Pink Sweets arrange looks like it's going to be really fun.  The Matsuri version of MMP also seems really neat.  I just played 1 credit of MMP arrange and had no idea what I was doing.

The menu thing is fine, no real problems with it.  I do miss having a proper attract mode.  One thing I'll say though, every day must be a new day at Cave.  The lack of continuity in overall structure, menus, options, etc for their ports is simply staggering.  It's almost embarrassing.

EOJ

Second half of Stage 4 of MMP ver 1.0 is definitely messed up. I've been through it about five times now and it's just ridiculous. There is really jerky slowdown in random spots (I've rammed into a few bullets solely due to this), but it's missing a lot of other slowdown that is necessary. Makes the game much, much harder.
My score archive

Blade Runner

I should have my copy tomorrow. I'm disappointed to hear about the lack of attract mode and fixed menu structure across ports. Why can't they just do the same menu system as in Ketsui?

njiska

Quote from: Blade Runner on February 25, 2011, 09:29:40 PM
I should have my copy tomorrow. I'm disappointed to hear about the lack of attract mode and fixed menu structure across ports. Why can't they just do the same menu system as in Ketsui?

Well for starters because that's a 5PB produced port, not a Cave internal one. I am, however, curious as to why they didn't use the menu system employed in DS, ESPII, DSIIX, DDP DFK and DFK BL. Or why we can't get another game with the Mushi Futari menu system and options system. That's just a thing of beauty.
Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

Dude

arrange is wild man in mmp. I cant even begin to explain whats going on lol.

EOJ

Just 1CC'd MMP Arcade with Ikuo (ver 1.00) with a crappy score of 116mil due to all the fucked up slowdown. Right now I'm the only "ALL" on the entire scoreboards, and the only guy in the top 20 playing Ver 1.00 instead of ver 1.01.

There is a huge programming error in the second half of stage 5 - after the section with the groups of planes that loop down then around the top of the screen and down again (right before the last 1/4 of the level), there should be a few waves of suicide planes. These planes never appear in the port. I've tried it a few times and it's always the same - just a few seconds of complete emptiness on screen. A few guys on 2Ch have similarly commented on this. This costs me a few million points. I hope they will patch this somehow.

As it stands, this is one of the worst Cave ports ever made. It's like PS2 Ibara or Mushihimesama all over again.
My score archive

Dude

bcass

The more one delves into these ports, the more problems there appear to be.  After an extensive assessment over the coming days/weeks I'm sure if you made a blog post outlining all the problems we could all point to it via their Twitter/Facebook pages.  The problems seem so extensive this time round, I don't think they should go ignored.  If enough of us protest about it I'm sure they'll try and do something about it.  It's truly boggling that they'd let it out in this state though.  The rate at which they're rushing releases out now, followed by inevitable patches is just plain embarrasing.

Sapz

Quote from: EOJ on February 25, 2011, 11:05:34 PM
There is a huge programming error in the second half of stage 5 - after the section with the groups of planes that loop down then around the top of the screen and down again (right before the last 1/4 of the level), there should be a few waves of suicide planes. These planes never appear in the port. I've tried it a few times and it's always the same - just a few seconds of complete emptiness on screen. A few guys on 2Ch have similarly commented on this. This costs me a few million points. I hope they will patch this somehow.
Do you know if this error is corrected in MMP 1.01? If the games are as they seem, I might just end up playing the 1.01 versions rather than the originals. Also, EOJ, do you think they might be genuine improvements over the originals, or just alternatives?

On a similar note, does anyone know what MMP 1.01's changes are? Sorry if this has been answered before, but I don't recall seeing MMP 1.01 changes anywhere.

EOJ

I haven't played MMP 1.01 yet - all I know for sure is the loop requirement has changed - you just need to 1CC the first loop to enter the second loop, you don't have to 1 life it. I'd assume enemies are weaker too. I'll check later. I've read the Stage 5 programming error is evident in 1.01 too, but I haven't checked for myself yet.

In other news, I tested the infinitive lives trick in Pink Sweets. I can confirm it is NOT in this port in ver 1.0 (I didn't try 1.01, but there's no way it would be there).  :(

I have read that the third midboss in Stage 6 of Pink Sweets is messed up - missing lots of slowdown that makes it really f'ing hard (it was already hard to begin with). In the first five stages, I've found the slowdown to be acceptably accurate. There are already a couple ALL clear replays on the PS leaderboards - the number one score is a 7.9mil ALL with Shasta in ver 1.0. I downloaded YOS.K's 3.7mil 1.01 run up to stage 3 and got a glimpse of some of his milking tricks, though it looked like he was just goofing around, rather than playing a serious run (hence the end in stage 3).

One nice thing about the PS port is the special power up is always the fifth power up item from the beginning of stage 1 - you don't have to screw around with the power-up drop cycle carrying over between credits. In case anyone wondered the in-game reset command doesn't work, but it isn't needed anymore so no big deal.
My score archive

EOJ

Quote from: EOJ on February 25, 2011, 11:05:34 PM

To be clearer, I'm referring to the waves of small planes that can be seen in 6:03-6:10 in the below video from the Arcade version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIHFqB51sjU&playnext=1&list=PLF84BA9676E58F983

They are simply not in this port.
My score archive