Muchi Muchi Pork! & Pink Sweets [February 24, 2011, JP X360] REGION FREE

Started by EOJ, August 14, 2010, 03:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

If you don't suck up the pork medals upon respawn after a death, you'll often lose your chain. Even if you think you get the last pork head on the screen, if any pork heads below are still a pixel on the screen when you absorb the last one, your chain will drop down to 1K medals. This happens to me all the time.

This happens in the arcade version too, but it's easier to suck in the pork medals there after a death as there is much more slowdown  in most places (the port is missing about 40%~50% of the PCB's slowdown overall), which makes the medals fall off the screen much slower, giving you more time to react.

Also, medals pop up with the shot (not lard attack) after a certain number of enemies are killed. It's impossible to predict when each one of these will pop up in the midst of a run, so you have to keep on your toes (especially in stages 4 & 5) and not let them drop off the screen and ruin your medal value.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

brentsg

Quote from: EOJ on March 06, 2011, 10:06:20 PMAlso, medals pop up with the shot (not lard attack) after a certain number of enemies are killed. It's impossible to predict when each one of these will pop up in the midst of a run, so you have to keep on your toes (especially in stages 4 & 5) and not let them drop off the screen and ruin your medal value.

Those are evil.

EOJ

If you watch my 297mil replay with Ikuo on the xbox leaderboards, you'll see one chain break in the first loop in the last part of Stage 4. You cannot see any medal dropping off the screen as it was apparently to the far right of the screen, out of my view, but still within the game's medal-tracking boundaries. Just bad luck.
My score archive

Bartlebooth

Thanks for the quick answer, I am so confused after those party boopers happen that I oftenly lose 1 or 2 lives yelling at the screen ...

Since sucking up is not always working properly after death (using the "maintained A shot - quick lard pression/release button" method) I'll try to stay focused even if it's happening in the future.

Have a good game gentlemen  :righton:

sh00g

Yep, I didn't play at all this entire weekend because I was completely disheartened by how often I was dropping my medal count in stages 4-5. I'd respawn and mash to suck up the remaining medals on screen and I wouldn't grab any. It just wasn't a good day that friday.

Icarus

Hahaha, Muchi Muchi Batrider. MMP! Matsuri is pretty good fun, and as close to a Cave version of a guest bosses shooting game as I'm going to get (and it'd be pretty neat if they rolled Ibara bosses into a Matsuri Ver. 2 somewhere down the line).
The whole package is very playable, even with the minor issues here and there. Definitely worth it, really enjoying it, not sure what to start on first, lol.

Plasmo

Got Pink Sweets and here's my first question. Maybe I'm too dumb to find the right menu or something, but where is "full screen"? I have huge black borders and have to zoom in a lot (and I'm on 4:3 already with my tv settings), but then the screen is weirdly stretched. If I select "wide screen" I can't zoom out enough to have everything on my tv. Why can't the horizontal zoom number get under 50....why....
The game seems unplayable for me with the current settings. What to do now?

EOJ

In system options turn "wide mode" OFF. Then rotate and adjust the menu screen to fit your 4:3 vertical monitor. Then go to a specific game mode, and use the zoom function to fill up the screen (you have to do this individually for each game mode (arcade, arrange, etc)). Works fine for me, just takes some time and is annoying.
My score archive

Plasmo

Wow this is retarded! But I'm so glad it works. Thanks a lot. ;)

Plasmo

I was playing a few Credits and I really wondered how bad this game actually is. I was surprised to have three rose hips at the same time and was accidentally using the rose cracker, because it replenished way too fast. I thought, that the port is not very accurate at all and started to get pissed.
By the time I died, respawned very quickly and got items back after death, I started to get suspicious.  :laugh:

Then I realized that you play Ver. 1.01 by default from the start, changed to 1.00 and fell in love again. The nightmare is over, Pink Sweets still rocks!

Never play 1.01!

Icarus

Haha, I was wondering when you'd notice. First thing I did after setting up all the screen dimensions was change it to v1.00 on both MMP! and PS.
The tweaks take a lot of the challenge out of both games, to be honest. I'd almost call v1.01 a kind of Novice Mode.
By the way, have you tried PS Arrange yet, Plasmo? It's really fun, like a less anally-retentive Bakraid mixed with Ibara. Funny how (aside from Daifukketsui) the Ibara/MMP!/PS remixes are more fun than the arrange modes on all the other ports.

EOJ

Quote from: Icarus on March 08, 2011, 11:43:25 AM
The tweaks take a lot of the challenge out of both games, to be honest. I'd almost call v1.01 a kind of Novice Mode.

Definitely disagree with this, they're nothing like Cave's Novice modes. Both games are still really hard to 1CC (a 1CC in MMP 1.01 is a 2-ALL), and all the bullet patterns are exactly the same. You just get a little longer lard attack with MMP, and instant second loop. The former feature is a nice compensation for all the slowdown that is missing, which makes 1.00 more difficult (for both scoring and survival) than the PCB version.

PS 1.01 is a much more enjoyable version as it's still hard as nails to 1CC, but it's not as frustrating to play for score as 1.00 is.
My score archive

Icarus

You forget, I like my games frustrating.
I also like them as close to the PCB as possible (within reason), which is why I won't bother with v1.01 for either of them.

EOJ

Quote from: Icarus on March 08, 2011, 02:31:28 PM
You forget, I like my games frustrating.

I didn't forget, I just didn't know.  ;)

I also like them as close to the PCB as possible (within reason).

As do I, but since the 1.00 ports are so very inaccurate (I really don't think I could ever beat the scores I got on the PCB versions with these ports, due to the inaccuracies), it's 1.01 Vers + Matsuri Ver all the way for me. :righton: Well, one exception: I think I'll play Pink Sweets S.ATTACK in 1.00, rather than 1.01.
My score archive

NR777

I'm with EOJ on this one.  MMP! 1.01 in no way feels like a novice mode.  I haven't spent much time with either version of Pink Sweets, so I can't really compare them.  Loving PS Arrange, though.  I'm just starting to get the hang of the scoring and it is really satisfying.

Icarus

Quote from: EOJ on March 08, 2011, 02:35:36 PM
As do I, but since the 1.00 ports are so very inaccurate (I really don't think I could ever beat the scores I got on the PCB versions with these ports, due to the inaccuracies), it's 1.01 Vers + Matsuri Ver all the way for me. :righton: Well, one exception: I think I'll play Pink Sweets S.ATTACK in 1.00, rather than 1.01.

Indeed, but for me, the various tweaks and changes make both games play almost completely different to their originals. I can live with a few bugs here and there, because I'd rather be playing the game in close to its original form and (especially in PS 1.01's case) the new versions are nowhere near. Since I had the PCBs, v1.00 is the main attraction for me, and the arrange modes are an occasional snack. v1.01 (like DFK 1.51, Futari 1.01 etc etc) are things to play when I have nothing else to play.

Plasmo

After getting my ass up and downloading various updates for about two hours, I've been able to log in to Live and watch YOS.K.'s replay.
This is by far the most extreme replay I've ever seen (and it's not even a 1cc, only up to stage 5!). I was literally laughing from disbelief and crying tears of blood, because of the sheer craziness demonstrated there. It wasn't Pink Sweets anymore, this guy has transformed it, in something else I can't describe.

Number of strategies I've leanred from the replay and will implement in my runs: Zero!

I'm sloowly relearning my strats atm, haven't been to stage 5 yet.

cstarflare

Does anyone know how to access Pink Sweets' Boss Rush mode? I only see Normal, Score, Harder, and Extend in the Game Options menu.

EOJ

Pretty sure there's no boss rush mode in this port. More disappointingly, they also didn't put a "start at the boss" option in the training modes.

Anyway, it was pretty worthless on the PCB (I never used it), so no big loss.
My score archive

cstarflare

Weak. I was hoping I was just overlooking it since no one had commented on it.

Kaneda

Quote from: EOJ on March 08, 2011, 01:55:12 PM
Quote from: Icarus on March 08, 2011, 11:43:25 AM

Definitely disagree with this, they're nothing like Cave's Novice modes. Both games are still really hard to 1CC (a 1CC in MMP 1.01 is a 2-ALL), and all the bullet patterns are exactly the same. You just get a little longer lard attack with MMP, and instant second loop. The former feature is a nice compensation for all the slowdown that is missing, which makes 1.00 more difficult (for both scoring and survival) than the PCB version.

Agreed! MMP 1.01 being some throwaway Novice mode for chimps is balderdash. You get more lard for your pork and thus more bank for your buck with bigger scores and a loop to play around in. The original MMP wont`t let you play this game the right way to see the loop which was a huge oversight, in my opinion. Unless you`re getting a 2-ALL with 350+ million (and judging by the leaderboards only one person has done this), 1.01 should provide plenty of challenge for the intermediate (i.e. Western) player.

In fact, I find 1.01 to be the best version of the best game from the best developer of the best genre of games, making it quite possibly, the greatest video game of all time. :righton:

bitkid

EOJ

Looks cool. I predict a massive new Pink Sweets run coming up soon from him.
My score archive

bitkid

I was confused. Looks like that recent vid was recorded earlier.
Here's the base channel: http://www.ustream.tv/user/YOS_K

moozooh

Quote from: bitkid on March 09, 2011, 02:12:17 AM
YOS.K apparently has a Ustream channel. Anyone seen this?
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13174429
"adversity1 is online" at 1:07:xx. :D

I haven't seen a Pink Sweets video in a while, but that stage 4 looks absolutely frightening at max rank.
<dan76> As it is I'll have to endure high res - life's hard.

njiska

Quote from: moozooh on March 09, 2011, 02:51:23 PM
Quote from: bitkid on March 09, 2011, 02:12:17 AM
YOS.K apparently has a Ustream channel. Anyone seen this?
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13174429
"adversity1 is online" at 1:07:xx. :D

I haven't seen a Pink Sweets video in a while, but that stage 4 looks absolutely frightening at max rank.

Why is he rapidly cycling his speed so often? I get using it to cancel the Rose Cracker, but he seems to be doing it a lot around the level in rapid succession.
Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

EOJ

My score archive

Plasmo

The 9,6mill replay, you can dl from live is actually recorded via livestream and available here: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13154547

Starts at 37:22

Craziest shit I've ever seen.

bcass

Changing speed increases rank too?  Why not just continually use the Rose Cracker instead?

marus

Quote from: Plasmo on March 09, 2011, 04:54:17 PM
The 9,6mill replay, you can dl from live is actually recorded via livestream and available here: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13154547

Starts at 37:22

Craziest shit I've ever seen.

Can anyone explain how the rank drops during the stage 2 boss and in the 2nd half of stage 5?  I thought the only way to decrease rank was by dying or dropping 1-ups, but it seems not?  Or is that just the rank bar glitching out?