New Shinobu Yagawa interview translation

Started by EOJ, March 24, 2011, 03:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

A pretty long, four page interview that I translated. The interview mainly deals with DFK BL, but many other topics are touched upon.

http://www.cave-stg.com/?p=1214

Some really interesting things in there.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

hipgnosis

Thank you for the translation! That was an interesting read. Yagawa is a hero.

lam47

ohfivepro

dan76

Good interview - nice one EOJ.

Yagawa really is the man, for me everything he altered in DFK was for the better.
XBL gamertag: durango76uk
www.1ccgames.com

emphatic

Splendid work, a pleasure to read!  :righton: I love the part where he "hates" not being able to destroy stuff.  :laugh:

Shalashaska

Really good read, thanks EOJ. I like his attitude towards bullet canceling and I thought the part about his anxiety that he fucked up Zatsuza was funny.

Icarus

Thanks for the translation. Always good stuff reading his views and comments.
Shame he's not cooking up more Raizing-styled games at the moment, but whatever he does is usually good fun.

Muchi Muchi Spork

skykid

Good interview, thanks for putting in the work to translate it.  :righton:

Yagawa is pretty dry in his interviews - he doesn't let much on - but I did like the fact that he was candid about using himself as a bench test for a game's difficulty. That means he can clear Ibara and Pink Sweets, the sadistic git.

Interestingly, he noted several things he dislikes about vanilla 1.5 that I can identify with. I really think BL is absolutely terrific though, he did a great job.
Quote from: SuperPangWhere DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away

EOJ

Quote from: skykid on March 24, 2011, 09:40:21 PM
That means he can clear Ibara and Pink Sweets, the sadistic git.

Yep. I get the feeling he's not much of a scorer. He really seems to enjoy just 1CCing games.

The most interesting parts of the interview for me were (in no particular order):

1)His original version of the shot+laser attack in DFK BL. It sounds really cool to have the ship move super slowly when holding both buttons, it would give it more of a sense of power, and could be used mainly for the bosses. I'd guess it moved similar to the speed of Lace (from Pink Sweets) at her slowest speed setting.

2)He complains about DDP's loop condition not being open from the start, but he also made MMP with its unfriendly loop condition.  :) Seems contradictory, though I have a suspicion MMP's loop condition was either programmed by Ikeda, or not his idea.

3)He professes his love for action games, and says he'd like to make one soon. Could he be the one making Nin-Nin Jump? If so, we're in for a treat.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Tain

Quote3)He professes his love for action games, and says he'd like to make one soon. Could he be the one making Nin-Nin Jump? If so, we're in for a treat.

That would be so great. I'm not very interested in the game at the moment, but that would change things.

zlk

brentsg

Quote from: EOJ on March 24, 2011, 10:28:02 PMYep. I get the feeling he's not much of a scorer. He really seems to enjoy just 1CCing games.

2)He complains about DDP's loop condition not being open from the start, but he also made MMP with its unfriendly loop condition.  :) Seems contradictory, though I have a suspicion MMP's loop condition was either programmed by Ikeda, or not his idea.

Regarding the scoring, keep in mind that he's doing this so early.  Something I haven't seen addressed in any interviews is scoring potential.  In any given game, I wonder what % of top-end scoring is intended potential and what % is unintended.  You program in a certain amount of intentional headroom, but then amazing players are able to identify loopholes or exploits that were really not intended by the developers.  I'm sure they have to do what they can, then the game has to either stand the test of time.. fizzle out early.. or they do a developer  :facepalm: and 1.5 it to add a couple of zero's.

On the loop, he basically said that he's mellowed over time also.  It could be that he felt MMP was a pretty easy clear so there needed to be some carrot.  But I agree the conditions for the loop are difficult.  I also wondered if he was taking a direct shot at the earlier 'Pachi games when he ripped on the memorization aspect of certain shooting games.

supabok

Great job translating the interview EOJ!!Interesting read and insight!!

MikeNeko

some interesting things indeed :) thank you EOJ

Kewing

Impressive job EOJ, that was a really interesting read. He sure feels like a rather honest looking guy.

hermosaguy

Great read! Thank you for taking the time to translate and share this!

Polyfreeze

mesh control

GaijinPunch

When is the Insomniac version coming up?

SH4R4KU

Really interesting read. Thanks for the translation!