Dodonpachi Saidaioujou [Cave 2012, ARCADE]

Started by joeks, December 21, 2011, 02:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emphatic

fuse

Good news that AC isn't dead!

Anyone roughly know the time difference between loc tests and finals? I'm in Tokyo around the end of March...

SuperPang

That might be cutting it fine but you never know.

I was crossing everything that this was an arcade release and I'm well chuffed. Day one purchase if it's SH-3.

fuse

Well, keep everything crossed because if I can't play it in March I'm finding your house when you get it.

ookitarepanda

Is there more to the Japanese pun in SaiDaiOuJou, or is there more of a connection with DOJ than the other DDP games, I wonder?

Could be really cool. And again, I hope for a 2d game, but that's my preference.

drunkninja

Quote from: ookitarepanda on January 30, 2012, 07:52:19 AM
Is there more to the Japanese pun in SaiDaiOuJou, or is there more of a connection with DOJ than the other DDP games, I wonder?

Could be really cool. And again, I hope for a 2d game, but that's my preference.

Same here, I'd also kind of hope for a return to the more dark DOJ graphical/musical style, but it doesn't sound like that'll be the case.  Looking forward to seeing it though.

drboom

Awesome! I'm hoping the bullet cancelling thing is less emphisized with more actual dodging expected. Bullet cancelling kinda bores me.

moozooh

There's a really good chance it will be new hardware if they aren't going to do X360 ports anymore, otherwise it would be  really odd to miss an opportunity of an easy port. Which is cool because CV1000 does not get the job done anymore.
<dan76> As it is I'll have to endure high res - life's hard.

SuperPang

I'm pretty sure they won't invest in new hardware after the headache DS2 was. It'll be CV1000 or Nesica.

Also, DOJ was released on 17th April 2002. I imagine this might come out around the 10th anniversary.

moozooh

I'm really unsure it would make sense for Cave to confine themselves to CV1000 if they're going to continue making arcade games. They're falling behind on visual flair because the hardware they've been using can't even do 480p and all recent games run in 30 fps most of the time because of all the slowdown.

Muchi Muchi Spork

Nesica and collectors wouldn't be able to get it, or want to. I doubt they will throw that away.

The 3rd gen slows down to a lot less than 30 fps on newer games. AK Limited is more like 1 fps at times. I'd still rather play it than anything any other company is coming with. They're still making the 3rd gen boards, it's not all using up old stock. I've seen a Mushi 1.5 that had a hardware change I've never seen before and I've seen every game.

moozooh

Quote from: Muchi Muchi Spork on January 30, 2012, 12:50:34 PMAK Limited is more like 1 fps at times.
Wow, really? I didn't expect it to be that bad. :\

Oh well, another proof that CV1000 has to go...

SuperPang

Quote from: moozooh on January 30, 2012, 12:25:59 PM
I'm really unsure it would make sense for Cave to confine themselves to CV1000 if they're going to continue making arcade games.

I doubt they have much invested in future arcade projects. Unless it's a huge success, this might well be their last.

That interview with Yagawa suggested they think the hardware is perfectly capable. AK runs at a crawl at times but ultimately it was the scoring system and length that caused it to flop. DFK BL runs at a crawl at times but it's still a riot and did pretty well AFAIK.

As for ports, they clearly downscale from 480p assets anyway. I very much doubt they re-rendered everything.

When I sent my DS2 for repair, the vibe I got was that operators hated the hardware. Most were rental so it was Cave who took the repairs and sent out patches as well. Must have been a nightmare, hence the return to SH3 for AK.

Nesica Live is the only other real alternative. It seems to suit the likes of Grev and Arc System Works and HD releases are port friendly but I hear after Taito's cut, there's not much in it for the dev. Also that Cave CEO did encourage collectors to buy arcade releases and I think we would have seen a Taito logo by now.

We'll know by the end of the week.

Muchi Muchi Spork

It's actually pretty cool. I didn't like it at first but it grew on me. It's not very often that it does that and for a lot of people it never will. You have to get a truckload of bullets on screen and then pop some enemies turning it all into gold. What's weird is the original Katana board had some faster ram installed, I assume it was to try and offset slowdown (not sure, maybe they just ran out of the cheaper slower type) and then went back to the default ram speed on the Limited version. Most of the game plays like it's more optimized, but occasionally it slows down even more than the original. The vids people have posted (I think from Moon or someone else's Japanese blog) prompted some guesses that some of the slowdown was an encoding issue. It's not.

Muchi Muchi Spork

Quote from: SuperPang on January 30, 2012, 01:03:06 PM
I'm really unsure it would make sense for Cave to confine themselves to CV1000 if they're going to continue making arcade games.

I doubt they have much invested in future arcade projects. Unless it's a huge success, this might well be their last.

That interview with Yagawa suggested they think the hardware is perfectly capable. AK runs at a crawl at times but ultimately it was the scoring system and length that caused it to flop. DFK BL runs at a crawl at times but it's still a riot and did pretty well AFAIK.

As for ports, they clearly downscale from 480p assets anyway. I very much doubt they re-rendered everything.

When I sent my DS2 for repair, the vibe I got was that operators hated the hardware. Most were rental so it was Cave who took the repairs and sent out patches as well. Must have been a nightmare, hence the return to SH3 for AK.

Nesica Live is the only other real alternative. It seems to suit the likes of Grev and Arc System Works and HD releases are port friendly but I hear after Taito's cut, there's not much in it for the dev. Also that Cave CEO did encourage collectors to buy arcade releases and I think we would have seen a Taito logo by now.

We'll know by the end of the week.

They could do another PGM2 game. I really doubt it but that would probably please some hardcore fans. Maybe. Well, a lot more than some PC hardware. PC hardware and I'm done..

Kaneda

Quote from: fuse on January 30, 2012, 05:04:40 AMAnyone roughly know the time difference between loc tests and finals? I'm in Tokyo around the end of March...

Futari was loke tested at the end of August or beginning of September and came out at the end of October, so you might just make it.

I`m going to check out SDOJ on Saturday with adverse if anyone else wants to come.

EOJ

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Lunchbox

So isn't going to be ported to 360?? It sounds weird to me... I can't see the point of that movement.
No arcades in Spain.

EOJ

My guess is this game won't be ported until 2013 at the earliest- cave probably thinks the 360 will be totally dead in japan by then. But who knows, a 360 port could still happen.
My score archive

matrigs

I'm really unsure it would make sense for Cave to confine themselves to CV1000 if they're going to continue making arcade games. They're falling behind on visual flair because the hardware they've been using can't even do 480p and all recent games run in 30 fps most of the time because of all the slowdown.

doesn't really make a lot of sense for a 480p output as this won't allow it to be installed in low-res cabs.

moozooh

Quote from: matrigs on February 02, 2012, 03:22:21 AM
doesn't really make a lot of sense for a 480p output as this won't allow it to be installed in low-res cabs.
Can't these monitors handle 640x480? What did Naomi 1&2, Hikaru, Chihiro, Type X, etc., boards run on? Those all weren't exactly low-res, as far as I know.

In any case, CV1000 forces Cave to downscale its games' assets, making them look and sound considerably worse. In my opinion, Akai Katana Shin is how a modern arcade shmup should look and sound like to stand out and attract younger audience. Moreover, CV1000's GPU can't handle even small amount of objects on screen without going underwater as mentioned before. Even several year old releases like Futari BL go into 30 fps when there are less bullets on the screen than there were in DOJ (crazy but true!), and it's not exactly cool or handy, because, as the pattern ends, it rapidly accelerates and makes you run into a bullet.

TimingTripod40

I think it's worth pointing out that while the slowdown is still there the arcade release of Futari BL features noticeably less slowdown than the 360 port.

Agreed on the whole jerky slowdown thing being bad though. Sucks that something like that can turn people off from such a great game.

EOJ

The Location test has started, here's some pics of the posters of the game at Hey arcade:

http://ameblo.jp/cave-cs-stg-dev/entry-11152423480.html

Still no pics of the game yet.
My score archive

EOJ

First info is trickling in from 2Ch:

-Feels like a mix of Daioujou and Daifukkatsu Black Label. No Reddo gauge, though.
-Dress system is linked with the shot selection (it changes the clothes of your pilot). Shot=military garb, Laser=everyday cloths, Expert=Swimsuit/bikini
-Combo gauge appears to be like Daifukkatsu BL - it doesn't cut, just slowly reduces some times.
-Three button system (shot, bomb, laser).
-Autobomb on/off. With it off, it's like Daioujou's system. With it on, one autobomb takes all your bomb stock, and bombs don't replenish.
-No shot power up items, you start full charged up like in Daifukkatsu.
My score archive

EOJ

More stuff:

-Daioujou-type hyper rank, but the rank is visible (not sure if this means there's some rank bar or something)
-Expert mode is much harder (like Strong style in Daifukkatsu BL).
My score archive

EOJ

The location test version ends after the 3rd stage - like previous location test versions of other games. SPS (Ketsui WR holder) 1CC'd it on his first try, according to witnesses.
My score archive

EOJ

My score archive

Sapz

As expected, Type A looks the most badass of the three. =D

Thanks for all this info, really interesting. Can't wait to hear more.