Jamestown: Legend of the Lost Colony

Started by cannonball, March 21, 2011, 12:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cannonball

Not sure if there's already discussion of this here.
Indie PC game coming out this summer.  Looks really nice from the video in link below.

Jamestown [rockpapershotgun.com]

Terramax

I'm not usually into indie titles but... this actually looks REALLY good. You see, this is the kinda game I would've liked released on the Dreamcast indie scene, not that crummy Fast Striker nonsense.

I'm liking the music, and the setting looks lovely.

Only gripe is the title. They should change the title. Completely misleading. Sounds like one of those casual puzzle games.

I'm keeping an eye on this one. Thanks for th heads up.

StarCreator

Since it hasn't been mentioned here yet, Jamestown is scheduled to be released on Steam, Direct2Drive, and GamersGate sometime today.  http://www.finalformgames.com/jamestown/

EDIT: It's out on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/94200/

SpiralSage

Sorry if this comes off looking like I'm virally advertising this game or something since this is officially my first post on the boards and I'm going to be talking rather positively about this game.

Bought it a few hours ago and I'm hooked. They took a lot of inspiration from Cave and Treasure games it seems. The music is fantastic and the game actually has a lot of content for a 9 buck indie game. There's like...5 or six difficulties, extra challenges, and a gauntlet mode which is basically a score attack mode.

The scoring system really fun: it involves collecting items that regain your multiplier. The longer you're in this mode, the bigger your score will become once the time runs out. Its a bit simple, but its kind of cool to attempt to stay in that mode for over a minute or so. The only thing really lenient about the scoring is that continuing doesn't reset your score. But you only have 2 continues and obviously if you don't continue you get a lot more points after a stage.

There's also apparently a secret final boss that you can fight if you beat the hardest difficulty without dying or continuing once. I doubt I'll ever see it, but I love stuff like that.

I really haven't played a lot of "indie" shmups ( except for like...ChoRenSha 64k or Touhou I guess), but I'm really impressed with this game. I really wasn't expecting much from it either.

Daverost

Probably worth mentioning that this is 33% off due to the current Steam sale. May or may not drop a little lower for one day.

HVL

-50% on Steam daily deals, at least for Europeans. Might as well get it, looks like a fun distraction.

Let_It_Be

If anyone has played this game, how does 'Judgement' stack up against Cave's offerings in terms of difficulty?