DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu [Strats]

Started by MrMonkeyMan, July 22, 2008, 08:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMonkeyMan

Chains are important.

Your chain acts as a multiplier, but the multiplier is only in effect when you have a full hyper meter.

1000 chain = 2x multiplier
2000 chain = 3x
3000 chain = 4x
5000 chain = 5x
7000 chain = 6x
10000 chain = 7x

I'm not sure if it continues after that, and I'm not 100% certain that's correct, but that's how it appears to me.

Anyway, the multiplier effects the hits you get when you destroy an enemy with a full hyper meter.  Destroy an enemy with a 2x multiplier and it will add 2 hits to your chain, as well as add double the points to your chain's point value.  Basically, get that chain as high as you can for the first half of a level and then chain everything with a full hyper meter after that for big points.

adverse

Quote from: MrMonkeyMan on July 29, 2008, 10:06:42 AM
DDP DFK Stage 1 - 4.9 billion
DDP DFK Stage 2 - 11.0 billion
DDP DFK Stage 3 - 23.6 billion

Still haven't nailed stage 4.

So I've been watching this and referring to the post you wrote on shmups about the hyper system to get a better grip on this game.

A couple things that stand out to me about these vids:

In Stage 2, your counter goes up by nearly 6000 as you laser the mid-boss after his last pattern.  Do you know why this happens?  Does boost hyper laser have some sort of chain acceleration property?

On Stage 1, when you back up to harvest bullet streams in the very beginning, this is just to raise your chain right?  Does it help get your hyper meter up at all?  Because at one point I believe when you take out the first water tank or whatever, your hyper meter jumps up by ~40%

Ast-Kot

In the 2nd stage ura mid you have to get close with hyper to the laser to improve your chain..there is not a particular patter to do, but if you  are lucky 2 laser come very close and you can go between their and obtain over 9000+  :righton:

The first stage patter is a bitch.. :)

If you use the green hely you have to destruct very fast the enemy in the top of stage to improve you hyper meter..than you have to go in the low right screen part and using normal mode you have to pud your fire in the right direction.. using the hyper always in normal mode (if you use power style using hyper in normal mode you chain increase; if you use the hyper in boost mode you hyper meter increase very fast)..to catch a full meter before the first tank you have to chain in boost mode before you catch the bee..
MMM do it in his video....I normally leech the first bullets steaming at the begining of the stage in normal mode that i start to go up to destruct the tank and I chain in boost to destruct everything and the thank; in this way I get a Full meter before the tank :)
あの痛みが君の事を守ってくれた、その痛みがいつも君を守っているんだ

MrMonkeyMan

There's also the hidden bees in the game.  When you collect a bee when it is green it will fill up a large chunk of your hyper meter immediately.  Collect the bee when it is gold and it will give you more points.  The bees are green when initially revealed.

Quote from: adverse on August 12, 2008, 09:48:05 PM
On Stage 1, when you back up to harvest bullet streams in the very beginning, this is just to raise your chain right?  Does it help get your hyper meter up at all?  Because at one point I believe when you take out the first water tank or whatever, your hyper meter jumps up by ~40%

I uncover a bee while I'm up there and pick it up right away.  I also get a bee right at the beginning of the hyper.

And as Kotaro said, cancelling lasers while in hyper mode will cause your chain to skyrocket. 

adverse

One more thing, is there a reason you don't use Boost to kill the initial enemies at the beginning of Stage 1? 

Quote from: MrMonkeyMan on August 12, 2008, 10:37:09 PM

And as Kotaro said, cancelling lasers while in hyper mode will cause your chain to skyrocket. 

Does this mean just firing back against lasers then?  Because the two lasers that you get between in the video can't be killed, so you're basically milking them right.  Would it then be better to try to stave off the Lilis (enemies that fire lasers in the regular stages) and avoid killing them with defensive laser shots to get more points?

Ast-Kot

During the stage I use the laser that appears in hyper mode to preserve my chain if tere aren't any enemies on the stage but normarly i reject or kill their... :)

At the beginig og the 1? stage I normally use normal mode for the speed of the hely and for the range of the shot; using boost you may destroyed enemies that you don't have to destruct as the little sensha on the bridge that fire to you when you enter in hyper mode... :)

For the bees I saw guys, except the first 3 bees, that get their always in orange color to improva your score getting a moltiplciator... :) this is for guys that use Power style.. ;)

MrMonkeyMan

Quote from: adverse on August 12, 2008, 10:50:34 PM
One more thing, is there a reason you don't use Boost to kill the initial enemies at the beginning of Stage 1? 

Quote from: MrMonkeyMan on August 12, 2008, 10:37:09 PM

Does this mean just firing back against lasers then?  Because the two lasers that you get between in the video can't be killed, so you're basically milking them right.  Would it then be better to try to stave off the Lilis (enemies that fire lasers in the regular stages) and avoid killing them with defensive laser shots to get more points?

I don't use boost at the start of the game because you are a lot slower in boost mode.  No real reason, other then the speed and I don't feel like switching modes.

As for the lasers, you need to push the laser back and I'm pretty sure you need to have your aura on the laser as well (point blank the laser source).  Most normal enemies will die before your chain starts to increase.  The only places this is useful is during the ex bosses of stages 1-3, as well as the spinning laser towers from stage 4, and the huge laser cannons at the start of stage 5.  At least, those are the only places I'm aware of.

adverse

Ok, I'm a little frustrated.

How does chaining work in this game specifically?  I have these moments where I'm getting my chain pretty high and then all of a sudden lose it to random shit.
For example, mid-boss of 2nd level is a chain breaker when you beat him, yes that's known.  But also many times I'll get to him and start hyper, then try to cancel
his bullets with normal, non-boosted shot.  But as I'm cancelling these bullets, my chain will go up by about a hundred and then all of a sudden die off.  This isn't because
I'm not hitting him right?  Take for instance the third pattern of the first form of the stage 2 boss.  I can bullet cancel this for a high chain with no problem.  The only difference is number and density of bullets I guess?

I also find that I will get to the end of a stage with a nice chain and take care to kill the last two enemies with laser, then all of a sudden my chain is gone.  So do I have to be attacking up until the very end of the stage when the boss warning comes up?  This happens to me in DOJ too...

Also, when I'm focusing a laser on a non-popcorn enemy, and I destroy it, I have to hit a popcorn enemy before I could change to shot right?  What about when I'm chaining with laser and want to hit a bee that's on the ground?  Sometimes I find the chain will maintain and other times I break it...

It's nice that chaining is easier in DFK but I still find the DDP chaining system non-intuitive.

Ast-Kot

The 2? stage normal mid or the ura-mid?

If you speak about ura mid you have to use the Hyper when you cacth the bee and than you have to leech the laser....The normal mid broke your chain... ;)

For the 2 big ships at the end of the 2? stage if you destroied their from left to right your chain don't drop cause you have a little sensha on your way and than the enemies approcing save your chain ;)

MrMonkeyMan

Quote from: adverse on August 26, 2008, 05:16:44 AM
For example, mid-boss of 2nd level is a chain breaker when you beat him, yes that's known.  But also many times I'll get to him and start hyper, then try to cancel
his bullets with normal, non-boosted shot.  But as I'm cancelling these bullets, my chain will go up by about a hundred and then all of a sudden die off.  This isn't because
I'm not hitting him right?  Take for instance the third pattern of the first form of the stage 2 boss.  I can bullet cancel this for a high chain with no problem.  The only difference is number and density of bullets I guess?
Your chain meter goes up when you collect the stars from canceled bullets.  If you don't cancel enough bullets when you have a very low meter you will probably lose your chain, try using your laser on the midboss to destroy him to fill your meter up quickly.

I also find that I will get to the end of a stage with a nice chain and take care to kill the last two enemies with laser, then all of a sudden my chain is gone.  So do I have to be attacking up until the very end of the stage when the boss warning comes up?  This happens to me in DOJ too...
Apparently if you don't unlock the ex bosses it is very hard to hold your chain going in to the 2nd boss.  Try holding your laser on the giant ship on the left as he comes on to the screen.  You won't be doing any damage to him until he's a fair distance down the screen, and then you can slide over to the giant ship on the right and destroy them both and whatever's left and hopefully hold your chain to the boss.

Also, when I'm focusing a laser on a non-popcorn enemy, and I destroy it, I have to hit a popcorn enemy before I could change to shot right?  What about when I'm chaining with laser and want to hit a bee that's on the ground?  Sometimes I find the chain will maintain and other times I break it...
Yeah, that's how it's always been in the series.  Your chain meter fills up quicker when you kill multiple enemies quickly, so try to have some popcorn enemies to take out with your laser just before you destroy a large enemy or immediately after.

adverse

Quote from: Ast-Kot on August 26, 2008, 05:34:22 AM
The 2? stage normal mid or the ura-mid?

If you speak about ura mid you have to use the Hyper when you cacth the bee and than you have to leech the laser....The normal mid broke your chain... ;)

For the 2 big ships at the end of the 2? stage if you destroied their from left to right your chain don't drop cause you have a little sensha on your way and than the enemies approcing save your chain ;)

Hey Ast-Kot!

Yeah I'm talking about the normal route, not ura boss route.  I know that there is a chain break on level 2 normal boss, but more specifically I was just asking about the properties of the laser/shot.  Thanks for the advice about the end of the stage.  It's so frustrating to build up a 2,000 or so chain even on the normal stage and then have it all lost at the end.

Quote from: MrMonkeyMan on August 26, 2008, 05:34:22 AM

Your chain meter goes up when you collect the stars from canceled bullets.  If you don't cancel enough bullets when you have a very low meter you will probably lose your chain, try using your laser on the midboss to destroy him to fill your meter up quickly.

I've noticed this.  It seems like the chain becomes more 'robust' so to speak as it climbs in numbers. 

Apparently if you don't unlock the ex bosses it is very hard to hold your chain going in to the 2nd boss.  Try holding your laser on the giant ship on the left as he comes on to the screen.  You won't be doing any damage to him until he's a fair distance down the screen, and then you can slide over to the giant ship on the right and destroy them both and whatever's left and hopefully hold your chain to the boss.

Ok, well I'm glad someone else can confirm this.  This is why it really frustrates me when I fuck up and don't get the ura boss route, because I will almost certainly lose my chain on 1 and 2.  I feel like it has something to do with the ura boss route scrolling faster?  Especially on stage 1 if I get the ura boss route I will definitely hold my chain til the end.

Yeah, that's how it's always been in the series.  Your chain meter fills up quicker when you kill multiple enemies quickly, so try to have some popcorn enemies to take out with your laser just before you destroy a large enemy or immediately after.[/qoute]

I understand this, and do ok in DOJ with the fundamentals.  But I still don't really understand the rules behind going from laser to laser.  For instance, let's say I take out a large enemy, but haven't hit a popcorn enemy yet.  If I release A and then hit it again to uncover a bee, will my chain break?

Thanks for your help.

jaycm1

hi can someone please explain the basic gamplay to this game diffrent modes,what is  auto bombing,controls i have never played any of the other pachis so im really in the dark  :( hope you guys can help  :)

PROMETHEUS

Is the scoring system identical in both Bomb and Power styles ?

Also, do you get the 2nd Ex boss unlocked by just unlocking the 1st Ex boss and making sure you get all the bees ? Same thing for the next Ex bosses ?

KOMA

Quote from: PROMETHEUS on September 28, 2008, 06:17:50 AM

Also, do you get the 2nd Ex boss unlocked by just unlocking the 1st Ex boss and making sure you get all the bees ? Same thing for the next Ex bosses ?
It seems so but i'm not sure about the bees.Today i have not unclock the first boss so the second doesn't came out but the third yes ???

PROMETHEUS

Quote from: PROMETHEUS on September 28, 2008, 06:17:50 AM

No one got any clue regarding this ?

MrMonkeyMan

I'm pretty sure it's the exact same.  The only major difference is that you can fill your hyper meter a lot faster with Power mode.

Ast-Kot

The score system is the same ;)

For hidden mid you have to unlock the first stage mid and catch all the bees for the other hidden mid... :)

PROMETHEUS

EOJ

A good trick for scoring w/ Power Style is to activate a hyper just before a stage boss dies (and try and fill the hyper gauge up a bit). This way you'll start the next stage with the hyper active, and more importantly, at the previous (usually max) hyper level, which means many more hits with the Normal shot than a level 1 hyper. Then after the hyper expires you revert back to a level 1 hyper and move up through the stage as normal. I do this on the st2, 3, and 4 bosses.

Also, in the second loop, use a hyper w/ shot on the second pattern of the second phase of the stage 3 boss for a crazy amount of hits (I went from zero to 5000+), and the most insane frame-dropping I've seen in an SH3 game. It looks like it's going about 2 or 3 frames a second.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

KOMA

Just when you said that,i've do the same method this week, but for now and mostly i've actived the hyper at  boss 1.And yeah,about the frame-dropping,i've noticed that too,insane how the game was in slow motion.

This days i'm clearly blow the chain,the run,the score,all of it,so i made some pratice to find good spot to do a great amount at the counter in using hyper.At the stage 3,where the life is hidden,release your hyper and place the ship at the center of the hole (same method of the stage 4 lazer spot) you could easily up from 0 to 2000.

EOJ

Quote from: KOMA on November 07, 2008, 06:58:22 PM
At the stage 3,where the life is hidden,release your hyper and place the ship at the center of the hole (same method of the stage 4 lazer spot) you could easily up from 0 to 2000.

Neat, I'll try this. Though I don't think it would be beneficial to be in hyper mode here - you'd get more points if you stay out of hyper and just kill everything to use the multiplier, even if your counter is a few thousand less. However, if you break your chain around or after the ura midboss, this is a good way to bump it up for the boss fight.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

KOMA

Indeed,i forgot to mention that.Like you said,only if you break your chain.