Akai Katana EXA Label [February 17, 2022]

Started by EOJ, July 30, 2021, 02:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

Announced today:

https://twitter.com/cavegames/status/1420982728573390851

No real details yet except it is coming out at the end of this year. Probably the X360 port with a new EXA exclusive arrange mode, like SDOJ EXA.

EDIT: Teaser site:

https://exa.ac/ja/2021/07/30/%E8%B5%A4%E3%81%84%E5%88%80-exa%E3%83%AC%E3%83%BC%E3%83%99%E3%83%AB/?v=0f177369a3b7

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

buffi

Looking forward to this a lot.
Will feel inexpensive compared to the pcb :p

RandomRetro

Look forward to it as well! Really interested in what all gets reworked in exA mode.

Liquidus0

I really hope they add the White and Red modes from the Home Limited Version. Instant buy for me if they do.

EOJ

Quote from: Liquidus0 on July 30, 2021, 11:47:58 PM
I really hope they add the White and Red modes from the Home Limited Version. Instant buy for me if they do.

Not a chance, I'm afraid. There's no X360 base version with HD graphics to port or work with, you'd have to do it from scratch, in a sense. And CAVE said years ago AK LE would never be ported.

But maybe the EXA label exclusive arrange mode will incorporate some ideas from AK LE in the scoring system? That would be really cool.
My score archive

Liquidus0

Same thoughts as you EOJ. It's more a wish than an expectation for the AK LE Modes.

I'm eager to see what that EXA mode is about. With the good work Trap did with SDOJ EXA Mode, I'm confident he will do something interesting for Akai as well.

EOJ

4gamer states it will have Arcade, Zetsu and Shin (from the X360 port), plus a new EXA Label mode:

https://www.4gamer.net/games/586/G058671/20210730021/
My score archive

Joe

I knew this would happen.   I managed to buy the AK PCB a few weeks ago after a long time wanting it, and I wondered at the time if an EXA version would come out.  I concluded no....then sure enough....  The exact same thing happened with SDOJ! In SDOJ case I couldn't resist getting both. I am not convinced my willpower will hold out in this situation either (although my bank balance might be the thing that stops me).  Regardless, I am looking forward to the EXA version on the community's behalf as they did a very good job with SDOJ.

EOJ

@Joe:

I doubt they will replicate all of the original PCB's slowdown (they certainly didn't do that in SDOJ EXA), and of course you get the original 240p graphics. So if you care about those things and own the PCBs then it shouldn't matter if an EXA version is released except if you want to play the new arrange mode.

With that said, the AK PCB, in my experience (and opinion), has far too much slowdown. So much that it started to irritate me whenever I played ST4 and ST5 because most of the time it feels like you are swimming underwater or something. This and DFK BL are two cases where I prefer the X360 ports. If they could just add in a bit more of the PCB's slowdown in ST5 and (especially) on the ST5 boss in EXA label (as compared to the X360 port), it would be the ultimate version IMO.
My score archive

Joe

Quote from: EOJ on August 06, 2021, 11:04:00 PM
@Joe:

I doubt they will replicate all of the original PCB's slowdown (they certainly didn't do that in SDOJ EXA), and of course you get the original 240p graphics. So if you care about those things and own the PCBs then it shouldn't matter if an EXA version is released except if you want to play the new arrange mode.

With that said, the AK PCB, in my experience (and opinion), has far too much slowdown. So much that it started to irritate me whenever I played ST4 and ST5 because most of the time it feels like you are swimming underwater or something. This and DFK BL are two cases where I prefer the X360 ports. If they could just add in a bit more of the PCB's slowdown in ST5 and (especially) on the ST5 boss in EXA label (as compared to the X360 port), it would be the ultimate version IMO.

Thanks EOJ - that's good insight.  Although on the matter of slowdown I find that in my old age I am not as nimble as I used to be and for me to have a chance with these games then slowdown would have to be 100% (i.e. everything frozen), but even then I fear I would just manoeuvre myself accidentally into the bullets :)

EOJ

My score archive

RandomRetro

Any idea if they plan to stream some of the location testing?

EOJ

Quote from: RandomRetro on October 19, 2021, 08:20:28 PM
Any idea if they plan to stream some of the location testing?

I had a look at the 4Gamer link and it states they "plan to use a cab that can stream", at Hey.  :righton:
My score archive

RandomRetro

Yeah sounds like they hopefully will start streaming today/tomorrow. Excited to see the gameplay and exA mode.

buffi

EOJ

Quote from: buffi on October 21, 2021, 04:46:40 AM
Stream has been live at https://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv334163010?camp202103tw=zE2uqy5Bvg_1634778247690 for about 8 hours now. Looks nice!

I watched a little and the new arrange mode reminded me of Progear.

My score archive

buffi

Yeah, looks heavily Progear influenced, which I guess makes sense considering how much AK looks influenced by Progear in some ways (enemy/stage design among other things)

buffi

I think Exa label mode looks really cool. Not sure if rank is controlled simply by the gem chain or something else.
The timing for item-spawns cancelling other item spawns seems shorter than in Progear, which I guess means that gem-waves similar to S1 boss in Progear is unlikely. The quicker cancels look real nice though!

I have really only played the regular Arcade version of AK, so looking forward to play in the other three modes :)

EOJ

PEK played it and said if you press DOWN on the character select screen in EXA Label mode you can play some Ultra-type mode.

https://twitter.com/peketti/status/1451176947023679497

Maybe like Red mode in AK Limited Ver?
My score archive

EOJ

The location test ended early today, because EXA pulled the plug on it. Maybe they found some glitches/problems that need to be fixed. They have not stated the reason yet.

Hopefully another location test will follow soon!

https://twitter.com/exaarcadia/status/1451345368382279692
https://twitter.com/otearai753/status/1451390648762789892

My score archive

EOJ

The second location test is going on now until January 5th.

LEN says EXA Label plays like Mushi Futari with hypers.

On a similar note, PEK said the scoring system has changed from the previous location test, and feels more like Mushi Futari Original mode. He also says the difficulty is mild and people familiar with STGs will be able to clear it on their first try, as he did.
My score archive

EOJ

My score archive

brentsg

Hey guys.  Has anyone put together a FAQ regarding Exa without a cab?  I am not buying a suitable setup for these but I'd consider a kit or three if I can set this up with a monitor and whatever.

I miss the scene but fear my old body would suck at these now.  Hope everyone is well!

EOJ

Get one of those Sigma superguns, an I/O board and any LCD monitor and you'll be good to go.

I hear ya about 'old body'. Every day there is a new ache or pain for old man EOJ.
My score archive

SuperPang

You don't even need a Supergun now.
HDMI for video and audio.
AC power cable.
and one of these which allows you to use console controllers via the JVS USB connection.
https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=43732

SuperPang

Preorders are open.

QuoteUtilizing new exA-Arcadia tech, 1 frame input lag provides the most responsive feel of any version of the game to date with 5 times the response speed of the Nesica version and double the speed of the original CV1000 JAMMA board.

Now equipped with 4K visuals, play the Original mode in 4:3 and the other game modes in 16:9 widescreen. (Vertically oriented screens are also supported for those inclined to play in this manner.) Audio has been remastered in stereo HD for not only the Original and Arranged soundtracks created by the legendary Ryu Umemoto but also for the first time, the FM Arranged Soundtrack initially created by Umemoto and completed posthumously by Keishi Yonao is exclusively available in this release.

In addition to a more accurate rendition of the arcade Original mode fixing unintended design & performance issues and bugs in the original release, additional game modes are available for the first time in arcades. the all new Ultimate mode provides a 2nd loop difficulty in any game mode for veteran players selectable from the start, Climax (Zetsu) is now playable in 16:9 aspect ratio and Slash (Shin), the Director's Cut, adds a brand new stage and a true last boss for players to enjoy. EXA LABEL combines the best aspects of all modes for a whole new experience geared towards players of all levels with realtime difficulty adjustments in a brand new arranged mode only on exA-Arcadia.

buffi

Preordered the regular version. LE cost was way too high with shipping

EOJ

Quote from: EXA-ArcadiaClimax (Zetsu) is now playable in 16:9 aspect ratio

Er, the X360 Zetsu mode was already in 16:9 (it also has the same new stage found in Shin mode).

Ultimate mode option sounds fun!
My score archive

Joe T.

Quote from: SuperPang on January 06, 2022, 07:46:16 AM
AC power cable.
and one of these which allows you to use console controllers via the JVS USB connection.

Is there an HDMI port next to the DVI-D?

SuperPang

Quote from: Joe T. on January 08, 2022, 08:14:15 PM
Quote from: SuperPang on January 06, 2022, 07:46:16 AM
AC power cable.

Is there an HDMI port next to the DVI-D?
Yes.