Pink Sweets - initial version (2006/04/06 Master Version.) - worth getting?

Started by Joe, August 30, 2021, 06:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

I have the opportunity to buy this version (one dot original master version) but I have read it suffers from a freeze bug on level 6 (possibly other places?). This somewhat puts me off given it would presumably be hit and miss each play if you could even finish the game. 

Does anyone have experience of this version and a particular view? For example, how often does this bug raise its head and does it break the game, and should I hold out for a different version?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

EOJ

I've owned several of these PCBs over the years and only encountered the freeze bug once or twice, which occurs at the end of Stage 6. To put it in perspective, about 99% of the the time I would get through Stage 6 without it freezing. Apparently it can also freeze on the last boss, though I've never experienced it.

So I wouldn't worry about it. It's also now possible to "upgrade" from this MASTER VER to the bug-fixed one, without soldering.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Joe

Quote from: EOJ on August 30, 2021, 04:53:27 PM
I've owned several of these PCBs over the years and only encountered the freeze bug once or twice, which occurs at the end of Stage 6. To put it in perspective, about 99% of the the time I would get through Stage 6 without it freezing. Apparently it can also freeze on the last boss, though I've never experienced it.

So I wouldn't worry about it. It's also now possible to "upgrade" from this MASTER VER to the bug-fixed one, without soldering.

Thanks EOJ - appreciate the reply.  That's good to know! I am, of course, assuming I can even reach stage 6. By no means guaranteed :)

Plasmo

I just want to echo what EOJ said. I have spent hundreds of hours with this PCB revision and encountered it very, very rarely.

In all likelihood it will never happen to you.

Joe

Quote from: Plasmo on August 31, 2021, 02:33:42 AM
I just want to echo what EOJ said. I have spent hundreds of hours with this PCB revision and encountered it very, very rarely.

Thanks Plasmo - although are you saying that you think my gaming prowess is not enough to get to level 6 every time and terrify the PCB into freezing in fear of my shmup skills? Because if you are.....you would be correct :) I think it will take me hundreds of hours just to get past level 1 :)

Plasmo

Quote from: Joe on August 31, 2021, 06:09:48 AM

Thanks Plasmo - although are you saying that you think my gaming prowess is not enough to get to level 6 every time and terrify the PCB into freezing in fear of my shmup skills? Because if you are.....you would be correct :) I think it will take me hundreds of hours just to get past level 1 :)

Oh, I'm certain you can get the clear if you're pushing for it! The game is not as hard as people sometimes say it is. Although it's not easy either...

What I was trying to say is, if you want to encounter the glitch you just have to play a whole lot. And reach stage 6 regularly. It would make a fun challenge to see how many hours of playtime it would take you until you make the pcb freeze for the first time! ;)

Joe

Quote from: Plasmo on August 31, 2021, 04:41:12 PM
Quote from: Joe on August 31, 2021, 06:09:48 AM

Oh, I'm certain you can get the clear if you're pushing for it! The game is not as hard as people sometimes say it is. Although it's not easy either...

What I was trying to say is, if you want to encounter the glitch you just have to play a whole lot. And reach stage 6 regularly. It would make a fun challenge to see how many hours of playtime it would take you until you make the pcb freeze for the first time! ;)

Thanks Plasmo - I appreciate the encouragement.  People, however,  said the same thing about my Japanese language learning "you can do it if you try"...they unfortunately discovered... I couldn't :) my brain just was not good enough.  You must have enjoyed Pink Sweets to play so many hours.  I could be put off a little by how much criticism the game gets but actually this makes me more curious to invest some time into it too (particularly as the board will cost me as much as my first car! :)). 

Joe

After all this....they were sold out when I went to buy it :( I was too slow.  Noooooooooooooooooo.  Knowing my luck that was probably the last Pink Sweets board that will come up for sale for the next 10 years :) still, I appreciate everyone's comments and insights.

EOJ

Don't worry about it. They pop up for sale pretty regularly. Just keep your eyes peeled.  :righton:
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999