Trials of Mana [Switch/PS4/PC, 4/24/2020]

Started by EOJ, June 12, 2019, 08:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

I am really excited about this game. Seiken Densetsu 3 is one of my favorite JRPGs of all-time, and to get such a high quality remake in this day and age is just incredible.

Launch trailer
https://youtu.be/F_DaAa8h7A8

Gameplay video
https://youtu.be/K7KXJOYWCYw

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

EOJ

There are demos out for the PS4 and Switch versions. I downloaded both and played them back to back. I wasn't sure which one to get. I like playing portable, but if there are big differences in how a game looks and plays, especially in action-type games, I'll go with the PS4 version. Welp, the Switch version sucks. It's really, really bad (when played on a TV). The resolution when docked looks like it's 540p or something, the framerate is a choppy 20-30fps, there's pop up and blurry textures everywhere. It absolutely looks like a Vita game being played on a Vita TV. In handheld mode it looks better on the smaller screen, but it still screams "Vita" (which isn't bad, I love the Vita, but it's 2020 already and the Switch). Anyone remember Dragon Quest Heroes 2 on the Vita? Yeah, it looks/plays like that. That's OK, and if it were my only option I'd definitely play it that way. If there was cross-save I'd probably get both just to play the Switch version in bed at night, but without that the PS4 version is the only real option here (for me). It is gorgeous on PS4 and runs at 60fps/1080p with crisp, detailed textures and beautiful character models. Just glorious stuff.

Steam version is also a thing and it should be as good or better than the PS4 version.
My score archive

ookitarepanda

Yikes on the Switch version :(

I also didn't really like the SoM/SD2 remake - the music "remixes" just hurt my soul.

EOJ

You can choose the original BGM or a new arranged one in this remake. Both are excellent.
My score archive

EOJ

Video comparing the PS4/Switch graphics. You can see what I mean about the blurry low res and choppy framerate on the Switch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sshcm-z8H7g&t=196s
My score archive

EOJ

This is out now! I bought it on PS4 digitally and I've been having a blast (about 3 hours in so far). I played through the Switch and PC (Steam) version demos as well, but I liked the PS4 the best. All three are fine though, even the Switch version which is uglier than the other two. The Switch version is not as bad as I previously claimed -- after awhile you don't notice the graphic downgrade and lower framerate that much, at least in handheld mode (docked on a TV it still looks and runs horrible IMO).
My score archive

EOJ

Finished it today! I went light-dark for Duran, then all dark with Riesz and Angela. Just like on my first play-through on the Super Famicom back in 1996!

Lots of fun. I think I still prefer the original (love the sprite work), but this remake is quite lovely as well, and they fixed the bugs and stuff that were in the original.

Apparently there is a post-game with a new 4th class, so I will look into doing that soon.
My score archive