Monthly Competition #7 - DOJ Black Label (September)

Started by jpj, September 01, 2008, 02:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpj

Monthly Competition #7 - DOJ Black Label (September)

there are at least two other forum members with this game, so hopefully this thread might get some activity  =D

full default settings.  any ship type you like.  please list scores as:
name - score - ship type (ie A-E) - stage (ie 1-3) - max chain

so for example:
icycalm - 0,100,150 - A-L - 1-1 - 70 Hit

1. jpj - 288,700,700 - A-E - 1-5 - 1834 Hit
2. GaijinPunch - 176,224,820 - A-E - 1-5 - 1780 Hit
3. HEX - 100,082,240 - A-E - 1-5 - 735 Hit

EOJ

Might have been better to wait for the DDP DOJ BL X360 port to be released in a few months for this one.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

SinHo

Hmmmm ... was it about 100 PCB's relesed (?), I wonder how many ppl in EU and US actually own the game (i know 2). Well, i think this i an excellent chans for sven666 to sell of his kit.

EOJ

There are way more than 100 of these out there. They are for sale at 3-4 Japanese PCB shops at just about any given time. The whole 100-only thing is just a myth.
My score archive

SinHo

It is? ... do you know how many .... or can you make a good guess?

EOJ

No one knows for sure, but probably a few hundred. There was a thread talking about this on shmups awhile back. I think they counted about 20 DDP DOJ BLs owned by westerners. Seriously, you can ask just about any PCB retailer right now, and they nearly all have the game in stock (around $1000 for a bare PCB). It's hard to believe that would be the case if there were only less than 80 left in all of Japan and Asia.
My score archive

jpj

Quote from: EOJ on September 01, 2008, 04:48:17 PM
It's hard to believe that would be the case if there were only less than 80 left in all of Japan and Asia.

i doubt there even four dozen arcades in japan who have this game.  what arcade operator is gonna shell out $1,000+ for a 6 year old game?  it's no wonder they mostly fall into the hands of western collectors at those sort of prices. 

anyways - let's not derail the thread   =D  we will never know exact numbers

i probably could have waited, but i'm in the mood for this game.  and i get the feeling people wont need much persuading to post a score when that version comes out   ;)

EOJ

Quote from: jpj on September 01, 2008, 05:04:48 PM
Quote from: EOJ on September 01, 2008, 04:48:17 PM
It's hard to believe that would be the case if there were only less than 80 left in all of Japan and Asia.

i doubt there even four dozen arcades in japan who have this game.  what arcade operator is gonna shell out $1,000+ for a 6 year old game?  it's no wonder they mostly fall into the hands of western collectors at those sort of prices. 

I don't think Arcade operators are buying them, just private individuals (in Japan and other parts of the world). And Ketsui is about as old and sells for the same (or more) yet is much harder to find, even though there were definitely more of those produced. ;)

Anyway good luck on the comp. Maybe three people will participate, which would be better than last month's one!  =D
My score archive

adverse

I'm definitely in.  Got a DOJ BL down the street from my apt.

GaijinPunch

There's no proof either way of the 100 thing.  There could very well be 100.  There's probably less than 20 in Japanese arcades now.  ONly one's in Tokyo I know of are Hey & Mikado.  The rest are in the hands of collectors.  I might actually TATE my TV for this one.

jpj

Quote from: GaijinPunch on September 02, 2008, 11:10:47 AM
I might actually TATE my TV for this one.

:righton:

have you tried fighting hibachi on 1 loop mode yet? 

EOJ

Quote from: GaijinPunch on September 02, 2008, 11:10:47 AM
There's no proof either way of the 100 thing.  There could very well be 100.  There's probably less than 20 in Japanese arcades now.  ONly one's in Tokyo I know of are Hey & Mikado.  The rest are in the hands of collectors. 

According to RAM's tracking site, it's actually currently in 38 arcades. Hey has 2 of them, so that makes 39 PCBs, at least. I still don't believe there's only 100 when so many are in shops right now.

Anyway, sorry for the OT.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

Quotehave you tried fighting hibachi on 1 loop mode yet?

I'd have to credit feed to get there.

Such crap... I forgot how to play this.

GaijinPunch - 72,782,700 - A-E - 4-1 - 720

GaijinPunch

A little better.... still shit

GaijinPunch - 97,187,120 - A-E - 5-1 - 658

Kaneda

One of the arcades in Nakano Broadway used to have DOJ BL but has since replaced it with Death Smiles. I swear I've seen it in a number of places...

jpj

maybe it's the same copy doing a tour  ;)

using the arcade locator thing EOJ posted, maybe there's a BL near to you kaneda? 

GP: that's not terrible.  i'm busy with border down at the moment, but i will play a credit soon.  now where's my favourite swede?

GaijinPunch

Quotenow where's my favourite swede?

He's afraid to go up against me at a game I'm 'currently' playing.  Only goes for stuff I've not touched in months.

EOJ

I don't think he posts here anymore. He hasn't posted since we moved to the new forums.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch - 100,696,190 - A-E - 5-1 - 854

Just think if I could chain stage 2 like the old days?

GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch - 130,567,120 - A-E - 1-4 - 1440

Still not happy w/ it.

jpj

take you long to get back in the flow?
i usually find it takes me a couple of credits to remember all my routes an' stuff.  clearing the loop ... er, a bit longer

GaijinPunch

Well, it's taken me 3 days to get this far.  That's a bit more than half of my high score.  Thing is I can't chain stage 4 or 5 to save my life.

GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch - 159,916,660 - A-E - 1-5 - 1149

Got stage 5 boss down to 1 inch of life.  The only thing impressive about this run is that I got to stage 5 with no remains and somehow got that far.

jpj

nice one.
stage 4 is the toughest thing to chain in the game, no doubt.  i have some basic routes through stage 5, but i need at least one hyper at the start, so then it all depends on how much i fuck up the stage 4 boss....   :whyioughtta:

GaijinPunch

I hate the beehive.  Other than that, I could probably chain the whole stage with a week's practice or so.  That run earlier was 3 very nice bursts of chain.

jpj

the beehive is a fucker.  staying about halfway up the screen helps, as well as knowing where all the destructible turrets are on the hexagonal grid, and being sure to take 'em out with your laser. 

adverse

Hex - 59,828,080 - A-E - 1-5 - 411

Been workin on this for a couple days.  I get pretty owned on stage 4 and find everything except for beehive on stage 5 to be relatively straightforward. 

jpj

cool, well i'm about to put border down on ice, and should be able to start playing black pachi tomorrow   =D

GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch - 141,691,230 - A-E - 1-5 - 977

Crap stage 2.  I'm having trouble getting one of the bees on stage 3 and keeping my chain.  Hard to explain... it's on the far right hand of the screen, behind one of the big ships.