Main Menu

Nintendo 3DS

Started by brentsg, January 07, 2011, 11:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brentsg

I just saw the Japanese launch game selection.

http://kotaku.com/5728228/

I'm seriously stoked about Ridge Racer for this system. 

Shalashaska

Yeah the 3DS looks great but the announcement about the battery life was kind of a disappointment. I'll pick one up but not sure about right away. If I can exercise some self control I may wait for the inevitable slimmed up re-release.

EOJ

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

brentsg

Here's hoping for flash cards then.  System is way too expensive to buy two.

EOJ

90% of my portable games are Japanese versions, but I really liked being able to buy the cheaper US hardware.

I was thinking of getting a US 3DS around release, but with this news Nintendo America just lost a sale. Nintendo Japan will probably get my money eventually, but maybe not until 2012. I'm going to wait and see on this one.
My score archive

njiska

If there's anything worthwhile I'll probably import a JP one, but right now I can get by with a US model. I don't really understand much if any Japanese so it's not a big deal. It's a shame that when most of the industry is moving toward globalization of the product and removal of region restrictions that the Japanese are still hell bent on keeping them. Worse this is the first fully locked down handheld in a market where handhelds have always been region free.

Clearly Nintendo is betting a lot on this one.
Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

EOJ

My score archive

brentsg

I bet GP could hook you up for $450.   :laugh:

njiska

Fuck I could hook you up for way less than that. Amazon.jp + Japan to door would be something like $350
Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

EOJ

Just got an email from play-asia, I forgot I did a reservation (no money down) for the JP 3DS from them. They want $479+ shipping.  :laugh: Uh, I'll pass, thanks.

Pretty weird that they wrote this part too:

"Checking the Japanese market, allocations are trading at US$ 480-580 and higher (as one can see
browsing Yahoo Japan Auctions)."

Now they browse YAJ and base their pricing on those jacked up auctions?  :oogle:
My score archive

thestreetzking

pretty bummed about the region locking, Its not something I usually take advantage of but I have with every handheld so far.

Also the battery life is normal if your playing a regular ds game. The 3d games have the 3-5 batt life.

Im worried that ill buy the launch console and then months later a new one will drop. Like they did with the first ds. wasnt long before that silver brick was out the window..

EOJ

JP models have dropped in price to $369 at play-asia, which is $100 cheaper than their preorder price just over a week ago. Bombaa!

I think this will be Nintendo's new Virtual boy.
My score archive

EOJ

JP Version is on sale at play-asia for $279.99 now. They seem to have plenty in stock.
My score archive

fuse

So, so tempted, but my CC has already taken a pounding lately. Don't think there's anything I desperately need to play for a while, but I'd sure like to dabble with SSFIV & BBCS2...

drunkninja

It's quite hilarious to see all the people on eBay trying to hawk these things.  I think Nintendo really upped production this time around to ensure that people could actually get one.  That and the fact that we're not really close to any big holidays as well.  I also think a lot of people are probably waiting for Starfox or Ocarina of Time 3D to come out before picking one up.  This launch seems a lot like the original DS launch in this regard.  I was quite easily able to get one of those a week or so after launch, but had nothing much to play for almost a year besides SM64.  It'll just take time to pick up.

MikeNeko

There is nothing at all except Kid Icarus that give me even remotely the wish to play that thing.
The region lock is stupid, nintendo don t want traveling people to enjoy their handhelds when they are abroad.

I hope the PSP2 (i won t call that NGP, ngp is the neogeo pocket dammit) will be region free...

EOJ

I tried this out at the local Best Buy today. The 3D effect isn't too impressive, and after a couple minutes it made my eyes hurt. If I ever buy one of these, I'll have the 3D turned off all the time. With the 3D off, I didn't think the widescreen display looked as nice as the PSP's actually.

My score archive

fuse

I caved (badum-tsh) and bought one. Quite like the tech but not particularly interested in any games out there right now. I have SSFIV and Ridge, both of which are impressive in their own ways, but they are not the kind of thing I want to sink my teeth into on a handheld. Not regretting the purchase, but just waiting for something to really engage me on it.

Can see me inevitably having to buy a second unit for the Phoenix Wright / Layton mashup at some point, too.

EOJ

Some reviewers on Amazon Japan are saying the Ice White model has various improvements over previous models. They fixed the crappy hinge, the buttons are better, and the screen frame heights and alignments have been adjusted to prevent the bottom screen frame from scratching the top screen. Pretty nice! But I'm still not too keen on buying one just yet.
My score archive

brentsg

Planning to track down Cave Story today!

I've not had any issues with my hinge or buttons, any of these issues actually.  Glad to see they're improving it though.

EOJ

So I finally bought one of these. Got the White Japanese model, which looks pretty darn spiffy. All buttons and hinges work perfectly (hooray!). I got Super Mario 3D Land and Senran Kagura with it. SM3DL is amazing! Haven't had this much fun with a Mario game since Super Mario Sunshine (which was awesome) or Super Mario World. Definitely destroys all the Wii games. Senran is a pretty fun action game, but I've only played about a half hour of it.

Next up, I'm probably getting the Crayon Shin-Chan platformer, as I tried the demo and it's pretty rad. Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun Special also looks pretty neat.

I like playing SM3DL with the 3D on 50%. It looks cool and doesn't hurt my eyes or give me headaches.

I think the console itself is very comfy - better than the DSiLL (which never really felt right in my hands), and almost the same as the DSi (which was really comfy).

Quote from: EOJ on March 09, 2011, 02:12:22 AM
I think this will be Nintendo's new Virtual boy.

Looks like I was wrong about that.  :laugh:
My score archive

brentsg

Glad you like it.

Mighty Switch Force launched in the USA eShop. 

If its available for you, its a must own for sure.