Old Shooter on Wii's Virtual Console

Started by Alexfusheng, January 26, 2012, 10:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexfusheng

Just curious if anyone here has gotten into these old classic games on the Wii...

I bought a Wii last year pretty much soley for the virtual console and have not been disappointed. At the time I got it I was playing alot of platformers Castlevania's, Megaman, Contra games etc

So recently I have been into these shmuppers. So far I have recently been goofing around with Final Soldier (TG16 game) and a new-ish wiiware title called KYOTOKEI (ikaruga inspired horiz shooter)  Pretty solid games IMO.

There seems to be quite alot of quality old-school titles on the VC if you are in that specific mood.... just sayin'.

Noiryt

I use my Wii exclusively for Virtual Console. The classic controllers are actually quite nice, the d-pad is fairly large which helps.
At first I thought it was kind of expensive for what is essentially an emulator, but that notion left me fairly quickly. There are no issues that emulation often has, such as screen tearing, sound glitches, random lag, etc. The image is rock solid. It is also the only way to play certain old games with a component cable, they look great. I'm about to buy the Mad Catz Tatsunoko VS Capcom arcade stick which apparently has really nice feeling parts despite not being Sanwa or Seimitsu, and is also very easy to mod.

Right now I'm play Lords of Thunder and Ogre Battle 64. What else have you been playing?

Daverost

Quote from: Noiryt on March 01, 2012, 04:13:38 AM
I'm about to buy the Mad Catz Tatsunoko VS Capcom arcade stick which apparently has really nice feeling parts despite not being Sanwa or Seimitsu, and is also very easy to mod.

The quality's not quite as high, but for all intents and purposes they may as well be Sanwa parts, which is also why it's easy to mod (since the parts used have Sanwa specs).

Noiryt

Does it matter which Sanwa joystick I put in? Which would you suggest? I like how the one in my HRAP VX-SA feels perhaps I should just get that one? (JLF-TP-8YT-SK)

Daverost

That's the one that's recommended for Madcatz replacement, so if you like the way it feels then definitely go for it.

Noiryt

Thank you.

I managed to get the arcade stick for ?20 new. I'm really enjoying playing my Wii with it. It is really hard to tell the difference between my Sanwa buttons and stock Mad Catz buttons on this stick. The joystick itself isn't as good, but isn't exactly bad either but I'll likely do the mod when I have some spare time.