Main Menu

DSi LL/XL

Started by EOJ, October 27, 2009, 04:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/10/27/nintendo_ds_push/

I'm glad I held off on that Japanese DSi. I'll stick with my USA DSi until this new larger screen model arrives in Japan, then upgrade.  :righton:
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

EOJ

This is called the DSi LL and is coming out on Nov 20th (a lot sooner than expected). Official site:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiLL/index.html

Comes in three colors: Red Wine, Dark Brown, Natural White

I'm definitely getting one. I'll probably get the white one.
My score archive

HVL

Really disappointing, huge as a brick and the same resolution as DSL/DSi.

I'll keep my DS Lite, thank you very much.

HVL

Here's a nice comparision pic of LL, DSi and Lite.

I think DSi is the best overall.

EOJ

I nearly picked one up at a store the other day, but held off as I have bought too much shit recently. Once you see it running next to a DSi, it's pretty striking. The weight of it turns me off a bit, but the screens are gorgeous. I only play DSi games at home really, so that's why I'm interested. I also like the glossy cover, looks better than the DSi.

If it was 50grams lighter, put back in the GBA slot and had bigger buttons and dpad then I'd snatch it up right away.
My score archive

EOJ

I bought one of these today - finally! Playing 2D sprite-based games on this thing is incredible. I'm playing Super Robot Taisen OG Saga right now and the scanlines are dreamy.

Pics:

Makes me want to buy Ketsui DS again...anyway, it'll be awesome to play Ni no Kuni on this when it's released next month (got it preordered, of course).
My score archive

markedkiller78

I managed to pick up a Blue XL over here for ?99.99 ($150 approx) currently playing Dragon Quest IX & I have to say I am very impressed with the system.

Does yours have a noticeably brighter bottom screen EOJ? It?s like mine are 1 increment of brightness out of sync. The other small criticism is the buttons feeling  a bit on the small side (due to the since of the unit) but screen brightness & clarity are much better than my old DS Lite.

brokenhalo

i bought an xl when they first came out in america and haven't really touched it. i purchased it primarily to play ketsui since my original fat ds screen wasn't really ideal for bullet-hell. but the d-pad on the xl is entirely too small and the diagonals on it are frustrating to say the least. i don't understand why nintendo wouldn't have gone with a larger d-pad and buttons, seeing as they at least partially marketed it to older gamers. the original fat ds was ok in the d-pad department, but they probably could of gone larger still on the xl with all the extra case real estate and it would have been perfect.

EOJ

I've used this some more, and the only thing I really don't like is the screen hinge is a little floaty in its optimal position. It just doesn't lock tightly in that position. Sometimes I'll be playing and my index fingers resting on the L and R buttons will make the top screen panel move a bit.

I do notice the screens are a bit brighter than before, but if you play on brightness level 3, it looks really nice. The DSi screen is slightly sharper in comparison, but the extra space in the XL screen easily trumps that.
My score archive

markedkiller78

I over extend the hige until it clicks, I actually thought it was designed like this as it locks at about 160 / 170 degrees?. I did the same with the DS lite.

EOJ

The position shown in the pics above is the one I find easiest to play, but it's floaty if I nudge the screen. If I extend it to the max, it's completely flat, but it feels weird to play it that way. Anyway, no big deal.
My score archive

Hive

I had a DSi and loved it to death! <3

But I actually prefer my portable systems to be small, since I ride the bus sometimes and love carrying a GBAmicro in my pocket.
So, I passed on the DSi XL, and will opt for the 3DS whenever it's sold in the States.

Hopefully, portable systems start adopting OLED screens, because the Smartphones, such as Samsung Galaxy S, make even the iPhone 4 look average.

(i'm a sucker for screen tech.) =P
Hive's "Colorphiles" Blog:  http://colorphiles.blogspot.com/