Bullet Soul [5pb, April 7th 2011, JP X360]

Started by EOJ, August 18, 2010, 05:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hipgnosis

Paid my order today, should ship tomorrow from AmiAmi. The game sounds pretty good so far.

Quote from: EOJ on April 06, 2011, 02:28:51 PM
-Autobomb ON/OFF

Hope there are separate leaderboards for both options, don't wanna play with autobomb on.

emphatic

What is the meaning of "(display inside)"? That the score, meters etc are displayed on the play area? I'm very excited to play this now.  :righton:

EOJ

Yeah, all the score stuff is in the game screen, not outside in the wallpaper area.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

EOJ

Another thing about the autobomb: if you have it ON, it's harder to increase the multiplier, and consequently it's harder to score.
Seems to be similar to DFK BL in this regard, where the autobomb is really only for those who don't care about scoring at all.
My score archive

drunkninja

Sounds pretty sweet, but the whole "game kicks into gear in the second loop" thing kinda worries me a bit.  Hopefully it has a different feeling on that front than DFK 1.5.

twoup

Damn this sounds like it's gonna be a blast. I cheaped out on the asian version so I guess it'll be shipping tomorrow and arriving on Monday.

SuperPang

07-04-2011    14:53   International Hub   Awaiting Customs clearance
:facepalm:

EOJ

Looks like DLC is coming soon:

http://5pb.jp/games/bulletsoul/index.html

The site says it will have "new character, new mode, new stage, new achievement"
My score archive

EOJ

5pb has updated their site for the game, they say the Demo will be out 4/11 for Gold members, 4/18 for Silver members.

http://blog.5pb.jp/bulletsoul/
My score archive

EOJ

Just got it, gave it a few runs and watched the top replay (1bil). First impressions:

-When I booted up the game, it made me download a patch. Title screen says ver 1.01. Not sure what this fixed.
-In the replays, you can skip a stage (forward or backwards) with the LB and RB. LT and RT fast foward 2x or 3x.
-When set to tate (vertical) screen mode, the ship select screen is still in yoko (horizontal). The ending is also in yoko, which is pretty weird. Like DOJBLEX, all menus are also still yoko. Clearly they coded this vertical screen mode at the last minute. Maybe a patch will fix things.
-Scoring is proximity based, which isn't really my thing. Top replays have the player on the top of the screen a lot.
-Graphics are great.
-Music is not too good IMO. Just crappy guitar rock for the most part. I was disappointed with this, especially since they give you the soundtrack on a CD (which I will never listen to!).
-Bosses are well-designed, but it takes too long to take them down. They should have sped things up a bit there.
-Bullet patterns are pretty nice overall, if a bit generic. Some of the boss patterns are really good (Especially the stage 4 boss).
-No slowdown.
-Character and ship designs are great, they each play pretty differently.
-Not sure about the loop, I 1CC'd the game (on my second credit), but didn't get a loop option.

More to come after I spend more time with the game. Overall I find it fun to pick up and play, but a scoring system is what makes or breaks a game for me, and I'm not sure how much I'll get into this one.
My score archive

EOJ

I'm not really feeling this. The scoring system just isn't exciting for me. Fun for a clear, but now that I've 1CC'd it with each character, I'm pretty much done. I put it up for sale here, if anyone wants it.
My score archive

hipgnosis

Quote from: EOJ on April 09, 2011, 02:36:04 AM
I'm not really feeling this. The scoring system just isn't exciting for me. Fun for a clear, but now that I've 1CC'd it with each character, I'm pretty much done. I put it up for sale here, if anyone wants it.
Did you see the second loop?

EOJ

I saw it in a replay. I think you need to 1 life the first loop to reach it. Not something I'm interested in doing.

My score archive

hipgnosis

This blog here says you need to collect seven stars overall from the performance screen after each stage: http://devio.us/~bcallah/blogish/ Can't confirm this though since I don't own the game yet, but if this is the case, it shouldn't be too bad. Hope you don't need to 1 life it, I'd probably never see the second loop.

EOJ

That info on the second loop is correct, I just found it on 5pb's site for the game:

http://5pb.jp/games/bulletsoul/system/second.html
My score archive

emphatic

I can't recall reading anywhere how many buttons this game uses? Is it just A = auto shot and B = bomb?

EOJ

A=Narrow Shot, B=Bomb, C=Wide Shot (Autofire)

You get higher scores with the Narrow Shot (it increases the multiplier faster).

My score archive

EOJ

My score archive

TheSoundofRed

Hmm looks like I'll be in the minority who actually enjoys this game? Oh well...

I guess it's more fun to milk a boss in MMP for 5 minutes than just shooting at it for 2 in Bullet Soul?

EOJ

Yeah, I'm sure some people will enjoy this game. Same story with any game.

And of course MMP boss milking is more fun than the painfully slow soup of bullets you have to wade through in the super-generic Bullet Soul bosses. Yagawa's bosses are complex and masterfully constructed, each phase of the boss milking requires skill and planning and carefully placed shots, and successfully completing each phase with a burst of 10K gold medals is always extremely satisfying. With Bullet Soul you just hold the fire button and weave through the soup for minutes.

But remember, MMP boss milking is entirely optional, and you can plow over the bosses quickly if you chose. Not true in Bullet Soul.
My score archive

MagicT

Quote from: EOJ on April 09, 2011, 09:53:41 PM
I felt compelled to write a review of this game:

http://www.cave-stg.com/?p=1291

Thanks for the review! Then I'll wait for the discount or secund hand price...

Dude

I enjoy the game for what it is. a colorful derivative of a cave game. I think we should still support 5pb. It would be nice if they could improve on some things and compete with cave. ymmv.

TheSoundofRed

Quote from: Dude on April 10, 2011, 02:59:48 PM
I enjoy the game for what it is. a colorful derivative of a cave game. I think we should still support 5pb. It would be nice if they could improve on some things and compete with cave. ymmv.

I agree. I'm hoping the DLC mode will have something new to offer to give the game an extra kick.

espibara

I think Bullet Soul is brilliant, despite what EOJ thinks and his dislike of everything cave (his review was very harsh). Its so refreshing to be playing a new non cave shooter especially one so stylish and polished as this. To say this should be an XBLA release is laughable.

Its also a joy after the confusing DDP:daifukkatsu with its trazillion diff scoring modes all needinga PhD in scoring mechanics, to play something refreshingly simple and arcade like.

Its pure pick up and play shooting FUN, sure it make lack the deep scoring mechanics of some CAVE shooters but it would be churlish to dismiss this gem just for that.

The only gripe i do have with this game is that the music isn't the best and the soft rock guitar does get old.

5pb should be applauded as for their first shooter this is a bloody good effort. It will make a great addition to your 360 shooter collection.

EOJ

Quote from: espibara on April 10, 2011, 05:17:00 PM
despite what EOJ thinks and his dislike of everything cave

What? I dislike everything Cave? When did that happen?

Seriously though, I like lots of non-Cave shooters. Just not this one.
My score archive

Dude

I think lots of people are elitist and dont want to see anything but cave. In reality cave is over priced xbla titles. ohhh ahhh did i just say that ...sure did. I mean who goes out and buys 2grand pcbs....i used to till i wised up and thought its not worth it. who drives ketsui up to 6gazillion bucks when it used to be a sub 200pcb before shumps.com drove it up.....anyway i see eoj points. i went in thinking very little and came out happy.

EOJ

Quote from: Dude on April 10, 2011, 05:25:26 PM
I think lots of people are elitist and dont want to see anything but cave.

How is this relevant to the thread? I don't see anyone here disliking this game simply because it wasn't made by Cave.

My score archive

Dude

Even Cave?s worst offerings (like Mushihimesama Futari?s Arrange mode) seem like masterpieces compared to this copycat trash.

and Several other rants you post up on your soap box. your  forum your ip your fascist  dictation on how cave needs to go, be and move.

Honestly most of the cave games from a professorial standpoint are nothing more than over price shareware.

EOJ

Hope you enjoyed getting that off your chest. Goodbye.
My score archive

espibara

You have to admit though EOJ your review was very very harsh, granted you are entitled to your oppinion but calling a quality shooter like bulletsoul copycat trash, maybe shows a hostile underlying resentment to the product.

I would glady place a bet that if this was a new cave shooter your review would be 100% different