Main Menu

Your top 10 games of 2010

Started by EOJ, December 10, 2010, 05:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

2010 is almost over, post your favorite 10 games of the year (feel free to revise your list until the end of the year).

Here's mine, I'll see if FFXIII International [JP X360] knocks one of these off the list when it's released next week:

1)Deathsmiles IIX [JP X360]. We were blessed with a handful of Cave ports this year, but if I could only have one, I'd choose this one. My favorite game of the year.
2)Espgaluda II Black Label [JP X360]. Awesome game, very good port, nice extra modes.
3)Criminal Girls [JP PSP]. Best RPG of the year. Original, quirky, kinky, and cute, with awesome gameplay, awesome artwork, and really nice pacing. End game bonus stuff is great too. I hope there will be a sequel.
4)Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu ver 1.5 [JP X360]. Great port, but the arrange modes don't do much for me and there's no Arcade mode.
5)Ketsui Kizuna Jigoku Tachi Extra [JP X360]. Nice port, but not one of my favorite games to begin with. Only one arrange mode (which I don't find to be that great) and no HD graphics. Still better than the PCB though.
6)Dragon Quest VI [JP DS]. A solid entry into the DS DQ series. A long, complex game (still not quite finished with it), but quality through and through.
7)Bayonetta [X360]. I don't like action/fighting games much, but I've enjoyed this one more than any other in recent memory (still have a ways to go to finish it, though). In terms of style, there's nothing else like it.
8)Radirgy Noah Massive [JP X360]. A surprisingly awesome game from Milestone. The HD graphics are lovely and the extra X360-exclusive modes are great fun. The time attack mode reminds me of Pink Sweets' Score Attack mode, which is always a good thing!
9)Enslaved [X360]. A really fun, cinematic action/adventure game with spectacular graphics. It has some flaws, but it's also pretty addictive, and a great way to spend a rainy weekend.
10)Super Street Fighter 4 [X360]. Not a big fan of versus fighting games, but I had quite a bit of fun with this one.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

kernow

Vanquish - futuristic slow mo action fun!

erm thats about it

antares

In no particular order:

Pinball FX 2: Best original console pinball ever. Nothing more to say.
Razing Storm (PS3): Normally I don't like lightgun games where you have a machine gun that much but Razing Storm is amazing. One of the best lightgun shooters I've ever played.
Ketsui Extra: I love X mode and Arcade both.
Espgaluda 2 BL: BL and Arrange do nothing for me but Arcade is a great game.
DDP DFK: Haven't played enough to say how much I like it, so far 1.5 isn't that great for me. But I played Arrange A a bit and it's great fun. Will give all the modes more playtime in the next weeks obviously.
Radirgy Noa Massive: Didn't like it that much in the beginning but it has grown on me.
Hydro Thunder Hurricane: Arcade Racers are rare these days and this one plays great and is also motivating for a long time.
Fast Draw Showdown (Wii): Wild West laserdisc lightgun shooting action!
Monkey Island 2: Great remake. I hope we will get part 3 next year.
Clash Of Heroes: Very addictive NDS game. I played this for 3 hours a day when I got it and finished it in a week.

kernow

Quote from: antares on December 11, 2010, 04:15:00 AM
Monkey Island 2: Great remake. I hope we will get part 3 next year.

I played this on iPad and it was indeed very good, I'll add that too :)

SuperPang

I don't think I could come up with 10 but highlights include:
Halo Reach
Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Akai Katana
A surprisingly good Ketsui port
Afterburner Climax

antares

I just realized Fast Draw Showdown came out in 2010 on the Wii (thought it was 2009) so I ditched Pac Man CE DX for it.

Medal

Quote from: kernow on December 10, 2010, 06:06:18 PM
Vanquish - futuristic slow mo action fun!

erm thats about it

Good call, kern! Couldn't have said it better myself. I was just about to :P

lillin

The most played and loved games this year:

Final Fantasy XIII
Scott Pilgrim vs The World
Pokemon Soul Silver
Kingdom Hearts  358/2 Days
DDP DFK
Mushi Futari 1.5 ( I know it came out in 09, but only got it in march so whatever :P )

njiska

Best of Year (Only Games I played):

Kirby's Epic Yarn
999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
NBA Jam
Blade Kitten
DoDonPachi DFK
Fatal Frame IV (English Translation Patch)
Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
Risk Factions:
Red Dead Redemption

Worst of Year (Only Games I played):

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Unbalanced mess)
Naughty Bear
Comic Jumper (Great Story/Presentation/Writing/Voice work but the gameplay is unforgivably bad)
Hydrophobia
Metroid: Other M (I'm ok witht he story, but the controls sucked hard)
Sonic 4 (I actually enjoyed much of the game, but the final boss ruined the experience)
Anything on the iPod with onscreen touch controls
Poker Night at the INventory
Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

charlienash87

Quote from: njiska on December 13, 2010, 05:34:38 AM
Best of Year (Only Games I played):

Kirby's Epic Yarn

Worst of Year (Only Games I played):

Anything on the iPod with onscreen touch controls

i despised all ipod games too, then i played Gun Bros. which is free, and actually has really responsive controls.

and as for Epic Yarn... :laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJEodZC2knI

Bayonetta topped my list. reminded me a of Godhand quite a bit.
SSFIV is up there too since i still can't manage to put it down.
Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage is a lot of fun with a friend
cave shooters go without saying, but i didn't really like DSIIX
Quote from: Joe T. on March 12, 2010, 04:43:59 PM
real shame we can't region lock the region free tards to the shmups forum region-moaning thread.
shinu ga yoi in Ibara

njiska

Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

lmagus

Aside from Cave games, I haven't played much this year

I really enjoyed Resonance of Fate, Alan Wake, Nier and Final Fantasy XIII

From Cave I loved Ketsui, Deathsmiles XII, Guwange, and DDP DFK

Other than that, I didn't quite like Espgaluda II

I guess that's all the games I played this year other than older Cave games =P

Van_Artic

without any particular order

Blazblue Continuum Shift (360) - i'm a BIG fan of versus fighting games, and this one is the best revelation of the year, solid storyline, unique characters, but a little unbalanced
Bayonetta (360) - the visual style is amazing, and i've enjoyed all of the references to the old sega games
Espgaluda II Black Label (360) - i really enjoyed the soundtrack and playing Black Label and Arrange modes
Deadly Premonition (360) - this one is truly my first survival horror game i've ever had (aside from Left 4 Dead which doesn't run on my PC) i gotta admit, the graphics is terrible, the music is catchy but there are always the same 4-5 songs during the cutscenes, the gameplay is somewhat unresponsive in certain conditions; but the thrilling yet cheesy storyline, the memorable cast of characters and the overall "freedom" that you have makes it seriously a worthy game
Super Street Fighter 4 (360) - another big vs fighting game, at first i didn't liked SF4, i was expecting it to be a good sequel of SF3, but Capcom turned it to a spiritual successor of SSF2Turbo; i still don't like the graphics and the overall music, but for me it's a game that i enjoy it more by watching it rather than playing it, there are tons of tournaments going on in America and i watch every single one

that's pretty much it for now; i could add Ogon Musou Kyoku (a fighting game of the Umineko series) but that comes out on the 31st  :P

antares

How about also listing your most anticipated games for 2011?
Here are mine:

Seisou Kouki Strania
DFK BL Retail
PS & Muchi Muchi Pork
Child Of Eden
Forza 4
Hard Corps: Uprising
Bionic Commando Rearmed 2

EOJ

Quote from: antares on December 15, 2010, 06:20:22 PM
How about also listing your most anticipated games for 2011?
Here are mine:

Seisou Kouki Strania
DFK BL Retail
PS & Muchi Muchi Pork
Child Of Eden
Forza 4
Hard Corps: Uprising
Bionic Commando Rearmed 2

Better to start a new thread for that.  :righton:
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

brentsg

DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu Black Label (arcade)
Mushi Futari Black Label Another Ver (arcade) - pretty sure this was 2010
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
Pinball FX 2 (Xbox)
Lego Harry Potter (Multi)
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (DS)
Shadow Complex (Xbox)
Ketsui port (Xbox)
DFK port (Xbox)

I know there were others, but those come to mind.  This year saw my unplayed list grow at the expense of work and arcade gaming time.

SomeMist

Ketsui Kizuna Jigoku Tachi - Been wanting to play this game for quite awhile. It's exactly what I want in a STG. From the tight mechanics, to the fun scoring system, to the beautiful backgrounds. The art style and gameplay found in ketsui is by far my favorite.

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - One of a few Wii games that I actually enjoy (next to muramasa and no more heroes). One of my favorite games of this generation due to the fun rail shooting/melee combat. I like how each boss requires a different strategy.

Bayonetta - I'm a huge action genre fan. Devil May Cry was also my favorite franchise in the genre. 1 being of the perfect difficulty and my first introduction to the genre. DMC3 improving on what DMC1 did. and I even enjoy the mechanics in DMC4 (fast weapon switching, fast style switching, new combat styles with a new character). Once I found out that Kamiya had a new game coming out I knew I'd fall in love with it instantly. Since it's release I've beaten it over 6 times. The combat is very tight and the learning curve has just the right steepness. I love the advanced techniques such as wicked weaving!

EspGaluda II - Game is breathtaking. I've had very little experience with ESP Ra De and the first espgaluda so I wasn't too sure what to expect going it. Lets just say that I was pleasantly surprised and became instantly addicted! EspGaluda II isn't my favorite game of the genre,  but it's a very noteworthy installment.

DoDonPachi Dai-fukkatsu ver 1.5 - Ever since the announcement I was extremely hyped for this game. The high definition gameplay looked incredible and I really got my hopes up for this title. Now I wasn't completely disappointed but I wasn't blown away either. I would say this just met my expectations. It almost feels as if something is missing from the gameplay but strange enough I've been addicted to this game just as much as other cave installments.

Deadly Premonition - I'm a huge David Lynch fan and Twin Peaks ranks high among my favorite television shows of all time. Once I heard that the series was a direct inspiration for this game I bought it instantly. I wasn't disappointed! Altho the game has a lot of similarities to the series, it does enough on its own to be considered a unique title. The gameplay is pretty atrocious but the story and character development more than makes up for it. so says Mr. Stewart.

Vanquish - The 2nd game that I've played from PlatinumGames (developer of bayonetta). Since Bayonetta was such a big surprise and an instant hit for myself, I knew I had to try out vanquish - especially being a huge Shinji Mikami fan. Somewhat reminiscent of an older title of his "P.N.03" Vanquish improves on nearly all the aspects of Mikami's past work. Another game with a decently steep learning curve provides a highly replayable experience.

Heavy Rain - I've never been able to to check out Indigo Prophecy altho I've heard mixed reviews on the game. Due to having no experience with indigo prophecy, this game was a completely new experience for myself. Altho the story wasn't particularily strong, you felt for the characters within your uniquely crafted story. I'm currently playing through this game for a 2nd time and I've been enjoying it moreso than the first.

Death Smiles IIX - I was a big fan of the original death smiles as I felt it was a unique take on the danmaku genre. I'll be honest, I wasn't too pleased when I watched videos of DSIIX and saw that it's theme was based on Christmas. Nevertheless, I tried it out anyways and really enjoyed the new bosses and enemies. Some parts made me laugh-out-loud and I've had a lot of fun playing the game.

Either Super Meat Boy or Guwange - Both are excellent games on XBLArcade. Guwange had issues with it's aspect ratio but despite that I thoroughly enjoyed the countless playthroughs. Super Meat Boy is very simple but a frustrating platformer. I've currently been trying to A+ all the light and dark worlds, and thus far I've gotten to the end of Stage 3 in doing so (haven't A+d all the light worlds but have beaten all of them with the exception of the new one I've unlocked). I've beaten somewhere around 168 stages at the moment  and I haven't gotten sick of the game yet!

twoup

Bayonetta was 2009 for me I played it to death and had 1000/1000 before the year had ended, otherwise it'd be on the list, right up the top.

I don't really have a top 10 but wanted to post the highlights anyway.

Deathsmiles II was the best shooter for me, I expected nothing and got everything. The lock on system was very enjoyable and I enjoyed DSII much more then the first game.
Ketsui came a close 2nd, lived up to the hype imo but I shouldn't have put so much time into the DS version as I think it drained a bit of the excitement despite being a side-game.
Red Seeds Profile was the best 3D game I played last year and I'd put it in my top 3 of the generation overall, everything about it was great and I felt really immersed in the game world which doesn't happen very often, last time I felt so strongly was demons souls. The side-missions in this are done better then just about any other game, they add to the story and some give items that really help in the game including some infinite ammo items you'd think would be post game items.
Nier was very enjoyable and had some pretty good extra endings.
Sengoku Basara 3 was heaps of fun, it's nice and fast unlike the boring musou games I've tried before, I spent a lot of time playing this.
Super Meat Boy was insanely good I still fire it up every now and then.
Vanquish was great, I really hate tps games so it's my least favorite Platinum title but the game was exciting enough to keep me playing it after I'd finished it.

Van_Artic

Quote from: twoup on January 26, 2011, 10:45:07 PM
Red Seeds Profile was the best 3D game I played last year and I'd put it in my top 3 of the generation overall, everything about it was great and I felt really immersed in the game world which doesn't happen very often, last time I felt so strongly was demons souls. The side-missions in this are done better then just about any other game, they add to the story and some give items that really help in the game including some infinite ammo items you'd think would be post game items.
i'm glad someone else like this really obscure game
i felt a little disappointed by the fact that the bosses came down one after another at the very end of the game, i'd wish there was more of them

SomeMist

I really liked it as well but I listed the English version "deadly premonition" despite having and beaten red seeds profile before DP! I just don't speak Japanese and being able to read and do the sidequests made the experience that much more enjoyable. I personally think it 's even better if you can relate it to the twin peaks TV series and movie.

I also forgot to mention amnesia: the dark descent. Easily the scariest game I've played of all time. Was one of the best experiences I've had in 2010.