Main Menu

Site updates

Started by EOJ, January 17, 2011, 11:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

I will post various site updates (mods, fixes, etc) here.

1.17.2011 updates:
-I fixed a glitch that was preventing people from registering over the past few days.
-I added a new "High Scores - Individual Style" forum. Use it for your own personal high score histories!
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

EOJ

I changed the forum so that ads do not display if you are a registered member (they only display for guests). Let me know if this did not work for any of you.
My score archive

EOJ

My score archive

EOJ

tapatalk plugin was installed in the forum today.
My score archive

EOJ

I put in a new default black/blue theme that I think is nice (reminds me of DFKBL and Ibara BL). You can still select the old white theme in your profile preferences, if you like.
My score archive

ookitarepanda

Looks pretty awesome. Is there a way to have the forum index look the same in the new color palette? It's tedious on my phone to click on the three separate tabs just to see no new posts.

MikeNeko

Thanks for having kept the old style available oh mighty guardian of the Pigeon Blood :)

drunkninja

Awesome work EOJ!  I always prefer dark themes, and this was pretty much the only forum I browsed that had  a bright theme that always fucked with my eyes.  Kudos to you sir :righton:

sh00g

Thanks for leaving a choice for us. I love the white theme.

emphatic

I really think this looks great! Btw, is there a setting to always go to "first unread" when you click a thread title?

EOJ

I don't think there's a setting for that, but I'll double check.
My score archive

eckart

Like the old one much more.

EOJ

Then switch to that in your profile.
My score archive

eckart

Yes, but this is only active after login.
Anyway, no problem.

emphatic

Quote from: eojx9999 on June 01, 2012, 05:27:40 AM
I don't think there's a setting for that, but I'll double check.

No need, clicking the "new" icon did the job!  :righton:

EOJ

php software updated from 5.6 to 7.2 today. The forum is running a lot faster now! I didn't realize I was on such an old version of php. I wish I updated it last year.
My score archive

EOJ

I added a new default theme to the forum because the old one was quite slow and glitchy (you can still switch back to it if you want). I still have to tweak it which will take some time.
My score archive

chromableedstudios

The new theme is pretty painful on Firefox moble. All sorts of 'responsive' redrawing that jumps elements around and makes pages take longer to load. When it finishes loading it seems to reserve a margin under the avatar so only half to two-thirds of the page shows the actual post.

Tldr, thanks for keeping the old theme also

EOJ

Thanks for the feedback. I have tried it on Firefox and Edge on my PC and Safari on my ipad, and all load fine without issue. So far I'm not sure if it's any faster, but I kept getting server connection errors randomly when I would try and post a message in the old theme, requiring me to go back and reload the page in order to post. I don't know if this new theme will fix that, or if it is some other issue. If it crops up in this theme, I'll have to look for a different cause.

Anyone know about this stuff in more detail? My knowledge is minimal at best.
My score archive

EOJ

After trying the new theme for a week I found it was no better than the old one in regard to getting server connection errors, so I've reset everyone to the original default theme (you can still choose the new one in your profile, if you like). So I guess the theme is not the problem. I will have to search for some other fix.
My score archive

chromableedstudios

Can't say I know this platform specifically, but I'd be curious to see the full error text if you want to pm

EOJ

Thanks for your offer to help, but I would just get a "server stopped responding" message occasionally. I'd reload the page and it would go away.

In better news I recently changed/tweaked some stuff, and I think it's running more smoothly now. I haven't gotten any of those errors since these changes.
My score archive

EOJ

Quote from: EOJ on April 25, 2012, 10:33:31 PM
tapatalk plugin was installed in the forum today.

I finally reinstalled this, so Tapatalk works again! Sorry, I didn't realise it had not been reinstalled when the forum came back in early 2018.  :facepalm:
My score archive

EOJ

The site migrated to a new server today. It will take a day or so to finalize. Load times have been greatly improved!
My score archive

Queen Charlene

already noticing way better load times between pages!
❤️ trans girl dangerous ~ | twitch | game dev | my scores!

EOJ

I added a new "CAVE Wanted" board in the Market section and moved the "WTB" threads from "CAVE Shop" there.
My score archive

EOJ

I upgraded the site to SMF 2.1.4 (from 2.0.19) today. Pretty big upgrade! I will have to see if there are any bugs/glitches. Please let me know if you encounter any issues.

This new version is also mobile-compatible, so we can finally view the site properly on mobile devices (and tapatalk is no longer needed). :righton:
My score archive

EOJ

Lots of new features in 2.1.4. I enabled the "likes" function today.
My score archive

EOJ

I implemented several more updates/improvements today, including avatar display integration on the topics of each board.
My score archive

EOJ

I added google ads to help pay for the site hosting and maintenance fees, which I've been paying myself for the past 5+ years. Note: Logged-in members will not see the ads, they are only viewable for guests.
My score archive