ESPGaluda at the Smithsonian

Started by ookitarepanda, February 16, 2011, 10:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ookitarepanda

Didn't see this posted anywhere (I could be an idiot) so here it is. Cave posted last night on their facebook page about a Smithsonian exhibit where fans will vote on entries into the exhibit.

http://www.facebook.com/CAVECoLtd/posts/102513696495466

Quotehttp://www.artofvideogames.org/
Have you ever played the original Espgaluda for Arcade or PS2? Did you like it? Well, the Smithsonian American Art Museum likes it too! So much that they've nominated the PS2 version for inclusion in their "Art of Video Games" exhibition 2012! Games to be included are voted on at the site above, so we wo...uld appreciate your vote! Espgaluda is featured in the Era 5 section, page 3!

njiska

It's up against Gradius V. That is a tough choice.
Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

ssfsx17

While Gradius V was an overall better game, Espgaluda had the more interesting artwork, so I voted for Espgaluda. Gradius V's artwork was not significantly different from, well, the art style of all previous Gradius games.

Would have been better if Espgaluda, Mushihime-sama, and Ibara all fought against each other in the same section, but oh well. Hopefully good will prevail in the other sections: Shadow of the Colossus, Panzer Dragoon Orta, etc.

Medal

Quote from: ssfsx17 on February 16, 2011, 01:17:30 PM
While Gradius V was an overall better game...

Why do you say that, out of curiosity?

EOJ

First, Gradius V sucks. Second, if you're going to choose a Cave game with great art, Espgaluda would be near the bottom of my list.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Medal

Quote from: EOJ on February 16, 2011, 10:21:01 PM
First, Gradius V sucks. Second, if you're going to choose a Cave game with great art, Espgaluda would be near the bottom of my list.

True that.

gsl

No Goowangs?

Actually, I'm cool with ESPGaluda, thought I'm not sure about Gradius V as an option.  I mean, I loved it, but I'm not sure there's anything terribly artistic about it that merits being in a museum.  I'd take Ikaruga first--over both of them, actually. (Oh wait.  Ikaruga is on the 360 in the poll.  Yet Rez shows on Dreamcast?)

EDIT: Oh man, they have E.T. for the VCS as an option!  The horror!

Also: Pitting Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, and Link to the Past against each other? Dick move.

Aquas

I went with Gradius V.  The explosions were cool.  Sometimes certain games look better in motion which I feel like Gradius V does.  But if they are showing stills maybe Galuda would have been a better choice.  Either way.

GaijinPunch

I actually liked the back story to ESPGaluda perhaps the most, even though you have to dig around a lot to fin d it.  Also liked the soundtrack (relative to other game soundtracks).  So, it's not a bad choice.

MX7

Gradius V was exhibited at the Science Museum in London as part of an exhibition called Game On. I also remember Warning Forever being there. Must have been about 2006. Fantastic exhibition, very well put together. Might have to dig out some photos.

Anyway, Gradius V has already had a place in the spotlight. I hate the art in ESPG, but it would still be nice if it got exhibited.

DDP DFK might have been a better choice. Stage 3 looks like it's vomiting Christmas trees. Pure sensory overload.

bcass

Quote from: EOJ on February 16, 2011, 10:21:01 PM
First, Gradius V sucks.

Amen.  I find the constant praise heaped upon it boggling.  Far better Gradius games exist.

Hive

DaiFukkatsu would have been my #1 choice to represent STG gaming.

#2 would have to be Mushihime-sama Futari.

I can look at their art and sprites forever. <3
Hive's "Colorphiles" Blog:  http://colorphiles.blogspot.com/