Deathsmiles 2 [CAVE PCB, 2009]

Started by EOJ, January 06, 2009, 12:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

Yeah, the main programmer is Takashi Ichimura, just like DS.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Lunchbox

Ok, thanks. I see his name in the staff list of lots of cave shooters but i lose his track in Galuda II...
Any work after? (i assume yes) and, is his first work as a main programmer?

Sorry for these crappy questions...
No arcades in Spain.

EOJ

He's been programming CAVE games for awhile, he did Ketsui w/ Ikeda, for example. He's worked w/ Ikeda on every SH3 game not by Yagawa, and DS was his first solo outing. I think he's every bit as good as Ikeda, but he doesn't get as much credit.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

Ichimura

And those are just the games I've got listed so far.
Here's the index, btw.

DS was the first time he was heading a new project. I believe he did a lot of the work in IBL.

And for the record, I think Ikeda gets all his credit for his creative ideas... not necessarily his programming abilities.  For all we know, he's not the best programmer in the world.  But, he's the mechanics designer for the most part, which is what we all get hard about.

drboom

DS2 with a proximity-based scoring mechanic would definately give me a stiffy.

EOJ

Quote from: GaijinPunch on February 10, 2009, 07:36:29 AM
I believe he did a lot of the work in IBL.

According to the game's credits he didn't do anything in that game - it was programmed by Mamoru Furukawa.

My score archive

gsl

[Obligatory conjecture on console port + sequel causing a price drop for original PCB]

EOJ

Original DS is holding its price remarkably well in Japanese shops - bare PCBs are 90,000 yen just about everywhere, and Gfront has a brand new kit for 130,000 yen on sale as of yesterday. On YAJ the bare PCB has been for sale for as low as 50,000 yen, which is Galuda 2/Pink Sweets range.

It will be interesting to see what happens after the port is released.
My score archive

SinHo

I don't then the price will go down that much then the port will be released (DS). Most arcade games will probably prefer to play DS on a PCB.... and just think about it, in 5 years, what do you think ppl will remember the PCB or the port?

GaijinPunch

You can't really go by PCB shops.  GFRont is mainly aiming for operators that don't have time to bargain hunt.  Keep in mind they marked their new ESPGaluda kit(s?) down to 35,000 yen just recently.  Mak caters a bit more to people like us, and their prices show it, but even they have had the same kit sitting in the showcase for 88,000 yen for quite some time now.  A month at least.  Holding it's price?  Possibly.  Just not in demand, in the least.  Seems the only ones to really have a nice demand some time after launch is the Mushihime-sama series. 

The big question is how many/how often will new kits pop up on YAJ... I would guess most would rear their ugly heads before the port is launched.

EOJ

More cosplay for the 2009 AOU:

http://cave-gameshow.cocolog-nifty.com/aou2009/2009/02/post-bd09.html

This time the girl who played Casper in the 2007 AOU will play Windia. There is an interview vid on the bottom with her. The other two ladies on that page are doing cosplay for those touchscreen gambling (or whatever they are) games.
My score archive

gsl

Wow, I didn't expect DS to be down to the 50,000-80,000 range already.  Might have to look into snagging one after tax returns come in...

Yeah, it was always fun to visit Akiba and go first to Mak and then G-Front and compare prices. :laugh:

adverse

Looks like there's a new character in DS2 called "Soupy" (スーピィ) according to the latest AOU blog entry.

EOJ

In the latest AOU blog post, some pics of CAVE's new medal game Uha-uha have been posted. Here is one:

http://cave-gameshow.cocolog-nifty.com/aou2009/2009/02/post-4010.html

Not sure what's going on in that blue dude's groin area... :oogle:

Perhaps they'll put up a pic of DS 2 in a day or two. Uha-uha looks cell-shaded, perhaps DS2 will be as well?
My score archive

neofrank

Anyone care to shed some light on the funny video with "talking" Reco figures  ???

rtw

The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work

adverse

Gwyrgyn

They are running on Vewlixs? That's a little odd unless the game is on JVS at least.

KOMA

The Vewlix have fews option that can be use like JVS TO JAMMA and 31K to 15K taito converter.

Can't wait to see DS 2 in motion if you ask me.

zakk

Quote from: Gwyrgyn on February 19, 2009, 11:45:39 AM
They are running on Vewlixs? That's a little odd unless the game is on JVS at least.

They've run 15khz games on snazzy new cabs before; it's the whole glitz aspect of the trade show. Gotta have the newest sexist looking hardware on the floor.

GaijinPunch

Futari Black Label was on a TATE'ed HD LCD at Hey!.  Complete with lag making it totally unplayable!

EOJ

Judging from the POP it looks like the game will have 4 playable characters from the start - Windia, Casper, Follett, and Soupy. Most likely one or two more will be unlockable later, just like DS.
My score archive

EOJ

A few comments are trickling in from JP players who have tried the game (the AOU show started 25min ago). These may be BS though,
so take them with a grain of salt:

-The game is in real-time 3D
-No lock-shot with A+B
-No power up mode
-Enemies are in the background and foreground

One guy said it feels a bit like Twinbee.
My score archive

EOJ

You can watch a live stream of people at the show playing DS2:

http://cave-gameshow.cocolog-nifty.com/aou2009/2009/02/post-aeec.html

Unfortunately with the angle of the camera you can't see much of anything on the screen. I wish they'd release a frickin' screenshot already!
My score archive

Pda

???

Would be quite new for Cave to change that much for a sequel.Let's see.

Pda

Argh,there is a bunch of salary men investing the cabs!

By the way,wtf with the camera angle?What's the point then?

EOJ

The game keeps freezing in most of the cabs, requiring them to restart it over and over. Not the best start to the show.
My score archive

EOJ

They moved the camera a bit and I could finally make out some details:

-The backgrounds are definitely in 3D
-There is no world-map, you just choose a character and start playing

???
My score archive

Pda

Deathsmiles value going up from now!  ^-^

EOJ

More details:

-it's 4:3 aspect ratio
-the new character, Soupy, is 7 years old.
-Only 2 stages are playable
-Characters, backgrounds, enemies - EVERYTHING is in 3D
-When you hold shot, a magic square forms around your option. Any enemies that enter the square get locked-on to.
-When you hold AB, you form a square around your character. Any enemies that enter get locked on to (in the foreground or background), and you shoot them with lasers, just like Soukyuugurentai.

WTF??

My score archive