Deathsmiles 2 [CAVE PCB, 2009]

Started by EOJ, January 06, 2009, 12:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaijinPunch

This thing just gets worse every time I watch it.  That reindeer... what the fuck?

EOJ

I think that brown bear thing in the middle of the snowy night stage beats the reindeer in overall crappiness. It's so bad it's almost embarassing to watch.

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

hermosaguy

It really comes off as a doujin game, just by the look but I must admit...it looks damn fun to play!

EOJ

Quote from: hermosaguy on February 20, 2009, 11:08:50 PM
it looks damn fun to play!

Really? There are close to no bullets, boring, unimaginative enemy patterns, some lock-shot mechanic like a dumbed down Soukyuugurentai...
I don't get it.
My score archive

KOMA

Quote from: EOJ on February 20, 2009, 11:04:13 PM
I think that brown bear thing in the middle of the snowy night stage beats the reindeer in overall crappiness. It's so bad it's almost embarassing to watch.

I totally agree with that.The force of the first DS (at least for me) when i watched the first video was the animation of the game,like the forest boss,the cyclops(all of them),kentauros,the dogs.Here we're just in a bad dream.

zap

Ok, so this game is a big WTF.

Anyway, they said something about a live March 20th, but I didn't catch the rest. Anyone know? Pretty sure it's not Cave-related, but I wouldn't mind more lolis  :righton:

PROMETHEUS

Quote from: EOJ on February 20, 2009, 04:14:37 PMthough interesting that there is still a lot of slowdown - must be programmed in
I always thought it was obviously programmed in, in all their games or almost. I mean, why would God mode slowdown so much more than Ultra then ? (in futari) only because there is more gold around ? It doesn't feel that way to me.

EOJ

Quote from: GaijinPunch on February 20, 2009, 04:43:20 PM

A game is not playable at 10%.  This is 50% or more.  Traditionally Cave have only shown games at a near-complete level, and nothing has gone more than a few months after it's been shown.

It seems as if you are correct. Ikeda was at the show, and someone asked him if this was going to be a fall or winter release. He laughed and replied "well we haven't decided [on the release date] yet, but it's not going to be released that far down the road". So most people on 2Ch are now assuming a late spring or early summer release.
My score archive

adverse

A tad new info in the new Arcadia:

Apparently Soupy uses Tyronnosaur as her familiar. 

It seems that the image at the end of Deathsmiles MBL is a picture of the game's boss, an evil Santa Claus.  : l

Pointman

Well I went to the show and played DS2, and what a disappointment it was.  The game was displayed on Vewlix's but it was noticable that it isn't full HD, probably best to compare how Tatsunoko vs Capcom looks on a Vewlix.  The game did crash alot while I was waiting in the queue.  I saw the boot up sequence and it did boot up in Windows. 

By now everyone will have seen the two levels on display, the Christmas town and the Romanesque level.  Both levels looked hideous and were a massive comedown from the first game.  In fact the water effects in the second level wouldn't have pushed early Dreamcast 3D graphics, appalling.  The main characters looked decent actually but the enemies were uninspiring and bland.  In fact there are some zombies on the first level that look downright PS1 era graphics.  The bullet patterns were bland, the explosions were bland, the smart bomb was bland, etc.  Pretty much everything that made the first game so vibrant has been seemingly lost.  And the less said about the reindeer boss the better (though the Shadow of the Colossus inspired second boss was pretty cool)

The game had no scoring system to speak of at all, simply shoot and collect point orbs.  Very basic.  It's true that you can shoot enemies in the background ala Layer Section but it doesn't add that much depth.  Now all this hate does sound like I hated the game but it did play quite pleasantly albeit....empty.  It's just that I know Cave can do much better (Daifukkatsu is probably the nicest sprite based game I've ever seen)  Unless Cave pull something miraculous out of the bag then I think Cave's glory days of shooters might be over.

SuperPang

Pointman

Heh I guess it did come over as pretty negative.  I'm really used to their stellar output though and this attempt at 3D seems really halfhearted, almost as if they couldn't be bothered.  Playing DS1 afterwards seemed like a breath of fresh air and much more vibrant.  Still I did manage to get one of those light tunnel doobrie wotsits and that was worth queuing up in itself, it's awesome.

GaijinPunch

I'm still hoping that deep down this is their idea of a very early April Fool's joke.  The sad thing is, they aren't just going to try a "1 off" on new hardware.  I'm sure they've put a lot of time into developing reusable libraries, which aren't going to be easy to walk away from.  The best outcome is some high res 2D, but I have a better chance of banging my wife in the ass than that happening.

It will feel weird to not care at all about their latest game.  Oh, well.  My queue is full anyway.

hermosaguy

As shitty as this seems, I can understand (though not like) what Cave is up to.  They have such an established fan base that they figure they can take a risk with this and if it fails...they can go back to what they know.  I can't say I'm excited for the way this looks, but we'll see how the finished product turns out.

Pda

Quote from: GaijinPunch on March 02, 2009, 12:00:48 AM
  The best outcome is some high res 2D, but I have a better chance of banging my wife in the ass than that happening.

Classic.I had a japanese girlfriend,i can comment on your despair.  ^-^

Monouchi

So Cave is going 3D...bad idea...I remember when SNK went 3D with their Samurai Shodown..what a let down.  :(

HD 2D sprites would be so awesome...

KOMA

could someone transalte what Mihara said in his blog about DS2?I see Taito Type X2....

http://mihara.sub.jp/top/blog/sb203/log/eid623.html

Geeb

Sounds like he somehow knows it's not Type X2 at the moment.

eckart

KOMA

Thank you Geeb,i had the feeling it was the opposite....

adverse

GaijinPunch

Quote from: KOMA on March 07, 2009, 05:52:14 AM

In regards to this game, just think of anything you would want, and then realize it's likely the complete opposite. 

I can't wait to see what the developers say come release.  Of course, if all the horny fanboys buy it, there will be no turning back.

PROMETHEUS

I can't imagine anyone who played one of the other Cave shooters to death play this one to death.

KOMA

Quote from: GaijinPunch on March 07, 2009, 09:58:55 AM
Quote from: KOMA on March 07, 2009, 05:52:14 AM

In regards to this game, just think of anything you would want, and then realize it's likely the complete opposite. 

I can't wait to see what the developers say come release.  Of course, if all the horny fanboys buy it, there will be no turning back.
Damn true :/

retre

Quote from: eckart on March 06, 2009, 03:33:40 PM

A closer look. - Thanks the one who upload this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma-sHlrPOlM

The boss is really ugly, but I like the backgrounds.
I still think that looks funny but the simple truth is that not (good enough to) seems a Cave game. Anyway I will keep the faith until Cave show the next vertical shmup.

PROMETHEUS

Quote from: retre on March 08, 2009, 04:20:10 AMAnyway I will keep the faith until Cave show the next vertical shmup.

Oh ye I want Mushihimesama San Nin !!~!

SuperPang

I still have hope for the verts, simply because that POS is slowing down with about half a dozen bullets. With the hundreds of bullets, gems/chips and score calculations going on in a danmaku they might have to drop the polygons. I hope.

eckart

Realy didn`t know the staff behind cave. What they want, what not and plan in the future.
I mean money making or making nice shmups. Guess it is both, but with DS2 it is realy hard to tell...

Ok, at least DS2 could be a test run with -40% of enemys and bullets because of the new hardware.
Only to be propper for the audience.:)

KOMA

Ok folks.According to Fujita new pcb list,DS2 will be release at middle May.

eckart

Let`s pray to the cavegod that the new hardware will be small and cheap. :'(