Master version differences indicative of "fixed" PCBs

Started by EOJ, February 03, 2008, 10:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

Since we have been looking for visual cues for fixed PCBs, may I ask does anyone else have an Ibara Kuro: Black Label PCB
that has a period BEFORE AND AFTER the "Master Ver"? My Pink Sweets (unfixed) just has one after. My Mushi, which is the fixed version,
has a period before and after. I checked my Ibara Kuro and it also has a period before and after. Considering many people have reported bugs with the game,
I am wondering if mine might be a fixed PCB, and this extra period may be a sign to indicate that. I have not experienced a single bug in the game.

Discuss any other differences in Master version strings in this thread.

UPDATE (February 2023):

Here is a list of all known MASTER VERs for CAVE games, with those that are known to be bug-fixed marked as such. Work-in-progress.

Akai Katana
2010/8/13 MASTER VER.

Deathsmiles
2007/10/09 MASTER VER

Deathsmiles Mega Black Label
2008/10/06 MEGABLACK LABEL VER

Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Ver 1.0
2008/05/16 MASTER VER

Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Ver 1.5
2008/06/23 MASTER VER 1.5

Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Black Label
2010/1/18 BLACK LABEL

Ibara Kuro Black Label
2006/02/06 MASTER VER.
2006/02/06.MASTER VER. (differences unknown)

Ibara
2005/03/22 MASTER VER..

Espgaluda 2
2005/11/14 MASTER VER

Muchi Muchi Pork
2007/4/17 MASTER VER.

Mushihimesama
2004/10/12 MASTER VER (original version with the Maniac high score saving bug, 2P Ultra mode TLB reset bug, and Ultra unlockable via a code)
2004/10/12 MASTER VER. (Maniac high score saving bug fixed. 2P Ultra mode TLB reset bug fixed. Ultra unlocked from the start)
2004/10/12.MASTER VER. (Maniac high score saving bug fixed. 2P Ultra mode TLB reset bug fixed. Ultra unlocked from the start. Other changes unknown)

Mushihimesama Cave Matsuri Ver 1.5
2011/05/23 CAVEMATSURI VER1.5

Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.0
2006/10/23.MASTER VER. (ultra is NOT unlockable via code (or any other known method))
2006/10/23 MASTER VER. (ultra unlockable via code)
2006/10/23 MASTER VER (ultra unlockable via code)

Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5
2006/12/8 MASTER VER 1.54.
2006/12/8 MASTER VER. 1.54. (differences unknown)
2006/12/8.MASTER VER. 1.54. (differences unknown)

Mushihimesama Futari Black Label
2007/12/11 BLACK LABEL VER (original Japanese release with the God Mode Stage 2 pre-boss loading bug)
2009/11/27 INTERNATIONAL BL ("Another Ver" with the God Mode Stage 2 pre-boss loading bug fixed. Also has weakened bosses in Original and Maniac modes with slower and less dense bullet patterns)

Pink Sweets
2006/04/06 MASTER VER. (original version with the Stage 6 freeze bug, buggy character lines, and infinite lives trick)
2006/04/06 MASTER VER.. (differences unknown)
2006/04/06 MASTER VER... (stage 6 freeze bug fixed)
2006/04/06 MASTER VER.... (stage 6 freeze bug fixed, character lines fixed)
2006/05/18 MASTER VER. (stage 6 freeze bug fixed, character lines fixed, infinite lives trick removed)
2006/xx/xx MASTER VER (radically different version)
2006/xx/xx MASTER VER. (radically different version:  Factory defaults are Free Play, no continues, and no extends. Birds are not released by bombing the trees in Stage 1. Score Attack has no counter and only three lives. Ship type selection is unavailable (presumed to be Type A). Rank resets on death. (SOURCE: arcadeotaku wiki page)
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

bay

nullsleep reports that the wishi ibara kuro board only has the period after.  if you recall my posts on shmups forums, the board has exhibited bugs.

EOJ

Thanks for the info, seems my suspicions may be correct. Also seems all fixed SH3 PCBs may have
a period before the Master Ver (the exception being Mushi, which appears to vary between 1 and 2 periods).

We need to find someone with a fixed Pink Sweets now.
My score archive

rtw

I just checked my Ibara Black label and have this:

"2006/02/06 MASTER VER."

I've never ever had a glitch of any sort, game saves rank and is not on freeplay.

Is there anything specific I should be looking for bugwise ?

rtw
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work

EOJ

One bug that I had on my previous board (the only bug I had), and one that bay also has reported, is being
unable to press either up or down to scroll through the letters when entering your name at the high score screen. I believe I couldn't press down.

The other bugs appear when you don't have the rank saving feature on. So a fixed board would get rid of these problems,
and allow you to play equally well with the ranking saving on or off.
My score archive

rtw

QuoteOne bug that I had on my previous board (the only bug I had), and one that bay also has reported, is being
unable to press either up or down to scroll through the letters when entering your name at the high score screen. I believe I couldn't press down.

The other bugs appear when you don't have the rank saving feature on. So a fixed board would get rid of these problems,
and allow you to play equally well with the ranking saving on or off.

Does this rank entry bug happen all the time ? I just entered my initials and
everything was ok. I was able to scroll up and down.

rtw

EOJ

Yes, it happened every time for me.

Sounds like your board is OK. I guess you'd have to turn off the rank saving and see if you get any bugs then.
But if you plan to keep the rank save on permanently, there isn't much point in testing it.

As a final point, I always had the game on freeplay. Not sure if that contributed to the bugs or not.
My score archive

rtw

QuoteYes, it happened every time for me.

Sounds like your board is OK. I guess you'd have to turn off the rank saving and see if you get any bugs then.
But if you plan to keep the rank save on permanently, there isn't much point in testing it.

As a final point, I always had the game on freeplay. Not sure if that contributed to the bugs or not.

Weird, tested it again, turned off rank, reset everything to default and turned on freeplay,
no bugs appeared. My PCB has the orange and white "modification" sticker but the version
string only has one period and that is at the end of master version.

rtw

EOJ

It's pretty weird, rtw. I seem to have fixed boards with periods before and after the MASTER VER,
while you seem to have fixed boards with only a period at the end! I think there's more to this story
than we currently know.
My score archive

rtw

QuoteIt's pretty weird, rtw. I seem to have fixed boards with periods before and after the MASTER VER,
while you seem to have fixed boards with only a period at the end! I think there's more to this story
than we currently know.

Maybe someone who is fluent in the Japanese language (hint, hint) can ask AMI
or even CAVE themselves ? :D

rtw

rtw

Tested my normal Ibara PCB today

"2005/03/22 MASTER VER.."

2 periods after VER.

Anyone else have this ?

rtw

EOJ

My score archive

EOJ

Okay, I checked. My Ibara also has the double period after the MASTER VER.
My score archive

rtw

ESPGALUDA II

"2005/11/14 MASTER VER"

No periods at all.

rtw

EOJ

I'll check mine tonight (along with the rest of my Cave SH3 PCBs).
I know there is a bug-fixed Galuda 2, but it's apparently very rare as almost no one
sent in their boards and paid 22,000 yen to get it fixed (the fix corrects the bug that makes the game crash
in double play mode, and sometimes in single play mode).
My score archive

EOJ

The screen we are talking about is right after the boot up screen. It shows the copyright info, and the master version
date on the bottom.

So it's nothing on the PCB, you only see it on the monitor when you power up the game.
My score archive

rtw

Quote from: EOJI'll check mine tonight (along with the rest of my Cave SH3 PCBs).
I know there is a bug-fixed Galuda 2, but it's apparently very rare as almost no one
sent in their boards and paid 22,000 yen to get it fixed (the fix corrects the bug that makes the game crash
in double play mode, and sometimes in single play mode).
EOJ, Did you check your Espgaluda II ?

What about Ketsui, could you check that as well ?

rtw

rtw

Muchi Muchi Pork

"2007/ 4/17 MASTER VER."

Anyone here have any different version ?

rtw

EOJ

I have the same MMP version.

No periods on my Galuda 2 version, rtw! (sorry for the delay in responding to your inquiry, I totally forgot about it).
My score archive

Sperrfeuer

Death Smiles

I can always choose Canyon also with rosa

QuoteIs the Canyon level simply not accessable with Rosa?  I was able to get there wil Folette just fine (and was then butchered by said cat food bullets), but it doesn't seem like Rosa has that option.  Also, when Canyon is cleared, does the player go on then to the Final level, or does the Canyon lead to an alternate ending?
QuoteIt didn't give me the option to go to the Canyon though.

rtw

Quote from: SperrfeuerDeath Smiles

Does it say MASTER VER as well ? Any periods ?

rtw

Sperrfeuer

just
              Death Smiles

that's it :)

rtw

Quote from: Sperrfeuerjust
              Death Smiles

that's it :)
Thank you! Is there a space in "Death Smiles" ?

rtw

Sperrfeuer

Just noticed.... :rolleyes:

DeathSmiles

is on the screen while checking memory

when the text "This game is only...."
at the bottom is as usual 2007/10/09 MASTER VER

(no space between DeathSmiles)

EOJ

I changed the thread title to make it more appropriate for the thread content.

We should also add in Bahamut's data from this shmups thread:

Pink Sweets (unfixed)
2006/4/06 MASTER VER.

Pink Sweets (fixed)
2006/5/18 MASTER VER.

Seems to be the only fixed version with a totally new master version date! I wonder if they heavily changed aspects of the gameplay system in this version, and not just a few bugs??

EDIT: We should also add Radegou's version:

2006/xx/xx MASTER VER

I am investigating the differences among these 3 versions and will post news here about them ASAP.
My score archive

rtw

Quote from: EOJI changed the thread title to make it more appropriate for the thread content.

We should also add in Bahamut's data from this shmups thread:

Pink Sweets (unfixed)
2006/4/06 MASTER VER.

Pink Sweets (fixed)
2006/5/18 MASTER VER.

Seems to be the only fixed version with a totally new master version date! I wonder if they heavily changed aspects of the gameplay system in this version, and not just a few bugs??
Which version do you have EOJ ? I have the unfixed version...

rtw

EOJ

I had the 2006/04/06 version, I've never seen the 2006/5/18 version. But I sold my board (again) and am currently without a Pink Sweets.
My score archive

EOJ

Alright, I dug through old 2Ch Pink Sweets threads for the past hour and discovered the guys there figured all this stuff out back in 2006. :/

Basically, only the 2006/4 version has the infinite lives. The 2006/5 version has the following changes:

-removal of infinite lives trick
-fixed stage 6 crash bug
-fixed a bug with the character's lines during/after boss fights (never knew about this one)

We could add the changes MleJazz noticed as well:
-Removal of infinite lives in Score Attack mode
-No birds when you bomb the trees in stage 1

I could not find any info on the 2006/xx/xx version. Also, some guys there asked Cave if the infinite lives thing is a bug, and Cave denied it, saying it was a "feature". Strange that they removed this "feature" on the subsequent revision then! It also totally messes up the Arcadia scoreboards, as scores without the infinite lives trick can never match those that use it, and Arcadia does not distinguish between the two versions of this game! Ridiculous to say the least.
My score archive

rtw

EOJ, Excellent effort on the 2Ch information! :D

rtw

Plasmo

Interesting stuff EOJ! So maybe it was a bug after all, maybe it wasn't....???! We will never know...