Akai Katana [Cave, ARCADE, August 19, 2010]

Started by EOJ, July 01, 2010, 03:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zakk

Quote from: brentsg on July 22, 2010, 01:38:32 AM
Quote from: GaijinPunch on July 21, 2010, 10:18:46 PM
I might go out there Friday.  
Kaneda -- any desire to mosey to Shinjuku later in the evening and check out Inception?  Not sure what your threshold is for crashing in internet cafes & shit.

EDIT: scratch that.  I'm going to the water gun fight at midnight on Friday.

People in the West would give a nut to go check this out.  But you are going to a water gun fight?

How dare he have other things to do. This is an outrage.

EOJ

People are playing it at HEY now. Some info from this dude:

http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/bbs/read.cgi/game/44689/1279270822/429

He says there was an hour and a half wait to play it after the arcade opened. The system reminds him of Hypers, or the Barrier system in Espgaluda.
He made it to the stage 3 boss. The midbosses are ships/vehicles, while the bosses are humans that ride around in various craft (train, plane, etc). The screen is often splattered with bullets, which gives the game a really cool look.

Sounds like a horizontal Galuda-ish game.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

EOJ

More info from this guy:

http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/bbs/read.cgi/game/44689/1279270822/434

My translation:

The game has 4 buttons: shot, bomb, rapid shot, "nenshin" (means something like "feelings & body")
Rapid shot is defense mode, shot is offense mode. You can only absorb items in defense mode. In offense mode, your option draws in items. In this state, you can make the enemy bullets change into even more items.

With the "nenshin" button you can change between a Fighter and a Phantom Ninja. As a phantom ninja, you slightly force back the enemy bullets near you. When you're a ninja a gauge starts to deplete (called something like a "prayer" gauge). Also as a ninja, when in defense mode, when you touch bullets they change into suicide bullets like in Deathsmiles II. When in offense mode, this does not occur, only the prayer gauge depletes. Also, like in Esprade, with a blast you can wipe out enemy bullets. When you defeat enemies as ninja they release suicide bullets, like in DSII.

--

Sounds like it takes some features I like (DSII suicide bullets), and some I don't (Espgaluda II Black Label bullet-pushing, Futari Arrange Defense/Offense garbage). Also sounds like it's pretty complicated. Interested to see some vids.

Also, location test version ends after the stage 3 boss.
My score archive

Monouchi

Thanks for the info and translation EOJ, sounds very interesting. :)

EOJ

My score archive

EOJ

I really don't think the game is on the SH3 board. There's tons of shit going on and NO slowdown, complex parallax backgrounds, and it looks like some boss ships are 3D.
My score archive

Monouchi

Game looks really stylish.
And yes, lots of things going on.

It looks fun to collect those golden boxes.
Nice touch that the life bar or what it is, its not visible all the time.

ookitarepanda

fuse

Just watched the video - this looks very exciting. Really digging the red lasers that the bosses seem to use. Great theme too.

JOW

The first boss throwing the Ketsui Canal Fleet at you is a nice touch  :cool:

brentsg

Quote from: EOJ on July 23, 2010, 01:02:14 AM
I really don't think the game is on the SH3 board. There's tons of shit going on and NO slowdown, complex parallax backgrounds, and it looks like some boss ships are 3D.

I heard there's an iPhone in there.

Ast-Kot

あの痛みが君の事を守ってくれた、その痛みがいつも君を守っているんだ

EOJ

Another vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3xGgxWKo80

This one shows stage 3 (the snowy stage). Also has better scoring.
My score archive

antares

So, how long did it take from DSII arcade release to the 360 port release?

Ravid

I'm experiencing strong feelings of desire towards this game.

emphatic

Wow.  :o This looks very pretty indeed, let's hope that DeathSmiles 2 was just an experiment and this is the future of their games. I like those "dimensional ports" that bosses could open in thin air with fighter planes emerging.

SuperPang

For sale, one right nut, price 198,000 Yen.

Welcome back Cave.

dorakyura

Quote from: brentsg on July 23, 2010, 03:20:58 AM
Quote from: EOJ on July 23, 2010, 01:02:14 AM

I heard there's an iPhone in there.

iPhone 4 (with the more powerful A4 processor and more RAM) even, wasn't it?  ;)

Anyways, looks stunning. Can't wait to play it ? how long does it usually take from location testing to official release to arcades?

njiska

This is sexy. Very, very sexy. Too bad i can't justify the cost and don't have a proper Jamma cab.

I'm kind of surprised that you only select your pilot. With how they had portrayed the characters in pairs so far I was hoping you'd have mix and match options like Pro Gear.
Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

SuperPang

Quotehow long does it usually take from location testing to official release to arcades?
19th August.

MX7

The perspective is absolutely bizarre, even more than progear!

Is there any word on what the music is like? I can't hear anything through the characteristic arcade squall.

Looks lovely! I'm not the biggest fan of horis, but this looks fun and I like the art direction too.

HVL

Looks cool but I'm not really digging the bullet reflecting stuff.

Quote from: Ast-Kot on July 23, 2010, 04:51:19 AM
Cool :o :o :o :o :o Waiting for a 360port asap >:D

"Hey guys will it be region free??!" :laugh:

emphatic

Quote from: njiska on July 23, 2010, 07:04:21 AMI'm kind of surprised that you only select your pilot. With how they had portrayed the characters in pairs so far I was hoping you'd have mix and match options like Pro Gear.

You can't? It looks to me in the videos that you first select between three humans, then the plane. Sort of two choices.

krokounleashed

Quote from: HVL on July 23, 2010, 09:15:43 AM
Looks cool but I'm not really digging the bullet reflecting stuff.

Quote from: Ast-Kot on July 23, 2010, 04:51:19 AM
Cool :o :o :o :o :o Waiting for a 360port asap >:D

"Hey guys will it be region free??!" :laugh:
Well, it's hori and not over the top japanese as others. i bet my ass this is coming to the west.

sh00g

Quote from: MX7 on July 23, 2010, 08:01:25 AM
Is there any word on what the music is like? I can't hear anything through the characteristic arcade squall.

Ha, that atmospheric sound is extremely nostalgic. I miss it!

Game looks great.

evil_ash_xero

Wasn't there a moderately recent interview with Asada speaking about how how the west liked more military type games? Do you think this is an attempt to kind of market a game to the west a bit?

ookitarepanda

Quote from: MX7 on July 23, 2010, 08:01:25 AMIs there any word on what the music is like? I can't hear anything through the characteristic arcade squall.

I would like to know as well... From that video, second stage sounds like wailing guitar solo, and that is something I can get behind.  :righton:

MX7

Quote from: evil_ash_xero on July 23, 2010, 10:22:26 AM
Wasn't there a moderately recent interview with Asada speaking about how how the west liked more military type games? Do you think this is an attempt to kind of market a game to the west a bit?

I think that the whole game looks like a stab at emulating popular shooting game tropes, or facets of arcade games in general. The character design reminds me a lot of Senko No Ronde. The Nazi style armbands seem to be trying to evoke a militaristic setting, and remind me of Under Defeat (zomg, G.Rev). The horizontal alignment is obviously popular as games like Deathsmiles and Otomedius have proved, and it makes the inevitable home console version that much more attractive to the average casual gamer (no wrestling with the TV monitor here!). The increased difficulty (this of course being speculative) seems to have been implemented to appease the Cave hardcore who must surely represent a good deal of their audience, or at least the audience that is willing to sink coins into machines. The move back to 2D graphics also seems to be supporting this. To me it's obviously reminiscent of Progear, but with a big dash of Daifukatsu, with some Deathsmiles style life bars chucked in for good measure. It still looks really fresh and exciting though. I'll be surprised if this doesn't at least capture the imagination of Cave fans.

I think that while shooting games are always going to be somewhat marginalised in today's gaming climate, the fact that it is a military theamed hori definitely isn't going to hinder its chances.

*EDIT ohhhh, and before I forget, the title is awesome! It harkens to a time where sticking a synonym for 'sword' in a shooters title was the coolest thing you could do. Gradius, Sengoku Blade, Zed Blade, Brave Blade, Change Air Blade, uh, maybe not as varied as I thought. It's still a good title.

Quote from: ookitarepanda on July 23, 2010, 02:08:05 PM

I would like to know as well... From that video, second stage sounds like wailing guitar solo, and that is something I can get behind.  :righton:

Unfortunately that's something that causes my arse to clench, but that's a matter of taste I suppose  ;)

EOJ

My score archive

NR777

Damn, I wish Chinatown Fair here in NYC would get this game.