Main Menu

Deathsmiles Xbox 360 port!

Started by EOJ, August 27, 2008, 05:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freddiebamboo

Good info on the port EOJ, I'm amazed they actually emulated the slowdown properly.

And that Otomedius stick is quality :righton:

EOJ

Quote from: SuperPang on April 26, 2009, 07:25:33 AM
I find Xbox 360 mode pretty smooth, it hasn't frustrated me yet.

Well compared to the original PCB, it's definitely not smooth (or in the right places). But on its own, I can see how it wouldn't be bothersome, once you plan your strats around it. The fact it has a separate hi score ranking from Arcade and 1.1 makes it fine in my eyes. People can compete in whichever score chart they choose.

In other news I've gotten over 1 billion in ver 1.1 mode (only played 2 credits there thus far). One thing that's sort of annoying with my otomedius stick and that mode is that I only have 4 buttons and you cannot power up with A+B, so I have to assign that to the fourth button, and then I have no button to control my option (I can still move it as in Arcade mode, but the control option lets you manipulate it very close to your character). Maybe I should try using my Hori X360 pad.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

EOJ

Just tried out Training mode (which is just a practice mode). Close to no loads, and the options are comprehensive. I can start at the Canyon with 1000 on my counter and 10,000 on my multiplier and practice over and over. Awesome.

BTW I did a quick 1CC in X360 mode w/ Follett and uploaded it to the leaderboards - it's 159.9mil, but it doesn't appear on the leaderboards (so far)...
My score archive

GaijinPunch

I need to play w/ that option thing.  I've got just under a billion, but that button isn't mapped (I'm just using 4).  I figured it would get too confusing.  And the lack of power up w/ A+B kind of sucks. 

I'm still not online.  My Wireless option in my dashboard is ghosted out.  Do arcade units not have a wireless connection?

zakk

Quote from: GaijinPunch on April 26, 2009, 06:43:03 PM
I need to play w/ that option thing.  I've got just under a billion, but that button isn't mapped (I'm just using 4).  I figured it would get too confusing.  And the lack of power up w/ A+B kind of sucks. 

I'm still not online.  My Wireless option in my dashboard is ghosted out.  Do arcade units not have a wireless connection?

None of them do, it's not built in. You either have to get the 360 wireless adapter, or just get a wireless ethernet bridge (which will likely be cheaper)

EOJ

The most f'd up stage in X360 mode is definitely the Forest. Slowdown is missing on the floating islands, which is really annoying as you're trying to score in power up mode and some bullets speed up when they're not supposed to, causing you to die. The boss is also totally screwed up (big apples are too fast, whole last phase is much faster than it should be, etc). The other stages are manageable, but the Forest is really disappointing.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

Not played 360 mode, but the boss is a piece of piss in 1.1.  Just do the "over and under" trick w/ the apples.

EOJ

Yeah, the boss is the same in ver 1.1 as in X360 mode.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

Just start to mosey on up the screen as that first wave of bullets is over... when the apples come out, go directly down, and never look back.

EOJ

Thanks for the tip. Have you downloaded the replays from the top ver 1.1 scores yet? They're over 7bil, and really awesome. I downloaded one for Windia, and one for Follett. It's easier for me to use Windia in this mode (when I'm using my stick), as her option is closer to her hitbox.

Another ver 1.1 tip, in case you didn't know: using lock-shot on a boss makes your item counter go up really fast. Really easy to max it out at 1000 in a short amount of time, even if you start the fight with 0.
My score archive

Atstroboy

You managed to convinced me, I ordered the game today   =D

GaijinPunch

Didn't know that, EOJ.  Thanks.

I'll try to get online tonight and download the replays as well.  I just got to Ass-satan or whatever the last guy is.  Going to be a hard clear w/ that 1-bomb bullshit.  My score was 1.6X bil.  I think the counter goes down faster as it gets higher.  I started the Castle w/ over 50,000, and never got it up to 60,000.  IN fact, it was 49-52 most of the castle stage. :(

Oh... I learned the hardway.  Don't power up on the last bosses. :(

EDIT: Do I have to load my scores each time I power up?  It always starts w/ a clear slate.

adverse

You're gonna want to sign in with your profile every time.  That way when you connect it to the net your scores will (hopefully) get upped to the leaderboards. 

EOJ

I don't know why, but I play in Score Attack mode, upload my scores and then they never appear on the leaderboards.  :rolleyes:

I played a round of COOP with a Japanese dude, and it was running at like 10fps. The guy kept choosing rank 1 and after 2 stages I just gave up.

BTW top score in ver 1.1 is now 10.5 bil w/ Follett. Download that replay, it's awesome! He dies twice in the last stage, so it seems 12~13bil (maybe more?) is possible with a no miss and near perfect scoring.
My score archive

EOJ

Ok, my 159.9mil X360 mode score IS on the scoreboard. I didn't notice you need to change the "EX ON" to "EX OFF" to see my score (as I didn't go through the Canyon). Should have figured, since this is how Arcadia segments the scores.

Too bad they only seem to keep the replays for the top 10 scores in each mode up for download.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

How do you download the replays?  Is it from the leaderboards?

EOJ

Yeah, just go to the leaderboards, and if one of the top 10 scores has a paperclip icon at the end of it, you can download the gameclip.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

That replay was wicked.  Lots of cool tricks.
I think I'm really missing the boat not using the option button.  It feels so weird though.

EOJ

I'm thinking of doing the following for ver 1.1: mapping left shot, right shot, option, and power up to the four buttons. Then when I get to one of the bosses in chapter 4, pause the game, change the option button to the bomb button, and continue like that. Thankfully they let you change the buttons on the fly, so you can pause it whenever and swap them. This is the only reasonable solution I can think of for ver 1.1 with an Otomedius stick.

Also, I tested this on my RGB monitor. For those wondering how Arcade mode looks, well, it is interlaced, so it looks like any other interlaced originally 240p game on an RGB monitor. It is not blurry like the Mushi or Ibara ports (thank God), and the gameplay is so perfect that other than the lack of scanlines I can't tell the difference between it and the arcade PCB when I'm playing it. It certainly looks 10x better than playing it on an LCD. I should add ver 1.1 and X360 mode look stellar on an RGB monitor. Really beautiful actually.

My score archive

Strider77

QuoteI should add ver 1.1 and X360 mode look stellar on an RGB monitor. Really beautiful actually.

agreed..  it looks fantastic. I play it on my CRT HDTV mostly though. I have not seen it on a LCD, how does 1.1/360 mode look on LCD?

EOJ

1.1 and 360 both look great on an LCD.
My score archive

EOJ

Bad news. Just played Arcade mode on my RGB monitor again and I noticed the backgrounds have a weird transparent "wave" or "ripple" effect that goes over them as you move. Similar to the one found in the Mushi and Ibara ports. Is this some kind of filter? Why would they put this in the port? It looks pretty awful.

With that said, I didn't notice it my first time playing, and when you're actually playing you aren't looking at the backgrounds, but still, it is disappointing and lowers the port a notch in my book.

BTW you don't see this effect in the backgrounds when you play in progressive scan on an HD set.
My score archive

Atstroboy

Have you tried on a CRT monitor via VGA cable?

EOJ

No, but that would be progressive scan, so it would look similar to an LCD. Arcade mode would be really blocky and ugly, I'd think.
My score archive

Atstroboy

You are right about the progressive scan... Well that's the way I am set with the Xbox, will update on that whenever I receive my copy

GaijinPunch

You can still output 480i through a VGA connection... just select it in the Xbox.  It doesn't really offer anything over your current setup though, in terms of signal loss.

I'm tempted to hook this up to the old arcade monitor and give it a whirl.  Would probably like it better considering I don't have to distract myself w/ the wallpapers.

Got 2 bil and change in 1.1.  That option stuff is really weird feeling.  Almost wish it wasn't there, but you really need it at times.

SuperPang

I'd love to see a pic of X360 mode running in 640x480 on a 31k arcade monitor. You could also send it to Cave to let them know what DS2 should look like.

Atstroboy

I am actually wondering why they didn't go for high-rez 2D with the new hardware. I am thinking about something close the latest Vanillaware or Arc System titles.

Is that much more costly or difficult to make than a 3D game?

SuperPang

Yes, both. Polygons are far more economical unfortanetely.

trev1976

Quote from: EOJ on April 28, 2009, 12:35:42 AM

Also, I tested this on my RGB monitor. For those wondering how Arcade mode looks, well, it is interlaced, so it looks like any other interlaced originally 240p game on an RGB monitor. It is not blurry like the Mushi or Ibara ports (thank God), and the gameplay is so perfect that other than the lack of scanlines I can't tell the difference between it and the arcade PCB when I'm playing it. It certainly looks 10x better than playing it on an LCD. I should add ver 1.1 and X360 mode look stellar on an RGB monitor. Really beautiful actually.

EOJ you just made my day , thanks :)