Main Menu

Deathsmiles Xbox 360 port!

Started by EOJ, August 27, 2008, 05:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

Blog updated. The guy says the completion date is nearing, and they're in the final testing phase. Here are some new pics of MBL:

http://cave-game.cocolog-nifty.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/02/13/1.jpg

http://cave-game.cocolog-nifty.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/02/13/2.jpg

While the character sprites have been touched up, the backgrounds elements are a pixely mess.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

EOJ

My score archive

Jonpachi

Any word on if there's an option to switch between High and Low rez on this one? The high rez looks alright, but I'd rather play it in its original incarnation. It seems like it's always easier to judge hit boxes in low rez where I can line up pixel by pixel. I can't even imagine a high rez Mushihimesama for instance, as those bullet curtains seem like they'd just bleed into one another. What is it with high rez 2D where artists often want to put a gloss on every sprite, like everything's been polished with wax?

EOJ

You can play it in the touched up hi res mode, or the original 'low res' (it won't be 240p obviously, but 480i/480p). However, as far as anyone knows, the low res mode lacks scanlines, and may have a 'smoothing' filter applied, so it will look similar to the DDPDOJBL port on the Xbox 360. In other words, it'll make your eyes bleed on an LCD, and look OK but a bit blurry on a SDTV.
My score archive

Jonpachi

Tough choice then. I'll likely end up playing the high def version. I'm not the biggest fan of fake scanlines. I've spent way too much time trying to tweak them in Raiden Fighters Aces, and they always look, well, fake. It just looks like the cable came out partially or something. At times it can trick your eyes into thinking it looks like an arcade monitor, but you can clearly see your ship going "behind" them which spoils the illusion.

EOJ

Yeah, I know what you mean. But for me, RFA with scanlines is 100x better than RFA without scanlines. It makes the game playable for me, and doesn't give me headaches.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

For me, it felt more like playing it in MAME rather than the PCB... which is bad.  Now, keep in mind I played the XBLA version at EOJ's house for all of about 30 seconds, so take my word w/ a shaker of salt.  I've also only played the RFJ PCB for a short period over a year ago.

EOJ

Interview w/ Ikeda on the DS blog. Here's my translation:

Q: Have you bought an Xbox 360?
A: No. I am interested in Demon's Souls though (for the PS3).
Q: What were you in charge of on the Deathsmiles port?
A: I made the arrange mode (ver 1.1), did fine-tuning/adjustments, and programmed the slowdown in the Xbox 360 mode and ver 1.1 mode.
Q: Is there anything you'd personally like to remake for the X360?
A: Daifukkatsu.
Q: We get a lot of emails from people who would like a Progear port. What can you say to them?
A: It isn't owned by our company, so unfortunately, a port is impossible.
Q: What do you think about being called "IKD"?
A: It'll soon fade out. I'll leave the rest to Mr. Ichimura.

Well, since he's in charge of the slowdown, my expectations for this port are high again. Hope he also worked on MBL's slowdown, if he didn't, then I'll be a bit worried about that. Also, he didn't program the slowdown on the arcade mode, which is weird (unless this mode is just emulated).
My score archive

GaijinPunch

EOJ

That xbox festa thing a few months back. DS was playable there.
My score archive

Pda

Good thing for me if the port is well executed.More chances that the PCBs (DS&MBL-less likely sure)will be cheaper in future.

Now IKD,please prooced with a little drama ala Itagaki;walk your way out of Cave,carry along with you Joker Jun,Wakabayashi and Kusonoki for the music.That would be much appreciated.  :righton:

Monouchi

Quote from: EOJ on March 06, 2009, 07:44:51 PM
Q: Is there anything you'd personally like to remake for the X360?
A: Daifukkatsu.

=D

Muzza

Damn it! Just got an email

QuoteDear Muzza,

This is an important e-mail update regarding your pending Death Smiles
[First Print Limited Edition] preorder (#13074428).

We regret to inform you that due to an unforeseen production cut,
insufficient quantities of this item will be made available to the market.

According to our suppliers there will be a big shortage on this item as
the publisher has decided to make only a very small print run of the first
print edition.

Despite our very best efforts to reserve as many limited editions
beforehand, our suppliers have informed us that only a very small
percentage of the preorder will be made available. We currently have to
expect that we might be unable to accommodate all pending preorders.

At present we are only able to confirm all orders with order numbers lower
than 13054500. Orders with higher order numbers unfortunately cannot be
confirmed at the moment.

If your order cannot be fulfilled, you will receive another e-mail update
from us.

In case that the supply situation changes your purchase intention, please
feel free to contact our customer service in reply to this e-mail with
your instructions or simply cancel the order in your customer account.

For your reference, the Death Smiles normal print is available, there is
no shortage expected for this item.

Death Smiles normal print:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-70-3428.html

We appreciate your support and would once again like to apologize for any
inconvenience this incident may have caused to you.

Your Play-Asia.com Customer Service
http://www.play-asia.com

KOMA

Same here but finally i'm not that disapointed though.

charlienash87

I just got that email too :mad: where else is there to get one at this point in time? I ordered mine from PA the very first day i saw it available and i'm still somehow 10,000 orders too late, wtf
Quote from: Joe T. on March 12, 2010, 04:43:59 PM
real shame we can't region lock the region free tards to the shmups forum region-moaning thread.
shinu ga yoi in Ibara

EOJ

According to the most recent blog post:

http://cave-game.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2009/03/post-6d39.html

Mega Black Label will be downloadable sometime from the end of April to May 10th. The price will be announced soon.
My score archive

SuperPang

Where can I get my IKD scribbleplate? =D

hermosaguy

Have you personally had any luck with any DLC that is Japan only?  I ask because I can't download any new ships or anything for Raiden for the 360, so I'm getting the feeling it will be the same with DSMBL.  Is there a work around or anything? I have a japanese account, but its just a basic silver one...one that I don't use. I'd prefer to keep it on my U.S. one. I hope I won't  have to bring my xbox with me next trip out to Tokyo!

Quote from: EOJ on March 14, 2009, 03:16:35 PM
According to the most recent blog post:

http://cave-game.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2009/03/post-6d39.html

Mega Black Label will be downloadable sometime from the end of April to May 10th. The price will be announced soon.

SuperPang

Quote from: hermosaguy on March 15, 2009, 08:03:56 AM
I have a japanese account, but its just a basic silver one...one that I don't use.
I think that might be your problem. I'm sure I've heard people here have downloaded R4 and OG content without issue.

Downloads CAN be IP region locked however (see Biohazard 5 demo, Xbox titles) but I think doing so to this would be shooting themselves in the foot and I don't think its happened to any DLC yet.

hermosaguy

Damn, thats what I was thinking.  I couldn't even d/l the Resident Evil 5 demo as well.  Hell, I couldn't even use the Otomedius G card to for the DLC .  Sucks companies do the IP block.  I'm curious if it is actually Microsoft or the publisher that makes that call. In any case, I'm hoping I can still snag a Special Edition so I can try MBL!

jpj

shame they don't go all out for a proper high-res version.  playing it now, while i do think some of it is pretty, a lot detail is really lacking by being in low-res; if the art is so intricately drawn, it would be nice to do it justice. 

EOJ

Quote from: hermosaguy on March 15, 2009, 10:05:58 AM
In any case, I'm hoping I can still snag a Special Edition so I can try MBL!

The Special Edition doesn't come with MBL. You can only get it via DLC.
My score archive

hermosaguy

Damn!  So what is that hyper-inflated price for?  A soundtrack and superplay disc I already have and  'better' cover art?

EOJ

Just a soundtrack, different cover art, and some coupon to download some pointless crap (but not MBL). No superplay.
My score archive

KOMA

This LE is not that sexy,better go for normal edition and a MS jap point card to download DSMBL,at least this is what i'm gonna do.

EOJ

So a MS Japanese point card will let you download any JP DLC from outside of Japan?
My score archive

hermosaguy

Quote from: EOJ on March 15, 2009, 06:06:17 PM
So a MS Japanese point card will let you download any JP DLC from outside of Japan?

I had a Japanese Point Card and still couldn't DL any content for Raiden 4 as well as using my code card for Otomedius.

EOJ

Well that's not good to hear.  :o
My score archive

KOMA

Quote from: EOJ on March 15, 2009, 06:06:17 PM
For what i've heard,yes.

EOJ

Did you read hermosaguy's post?
My score archive