Main Menu

Doesn't this just piss you right off?

Started by njiska, October 20, 2010, 11:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njiska

http://kotaku.com/5668444/this-shmup-is-88-really

I don't know why mainstream western journalists feel the need to comment on the price of obscure Japanese exclusive shmups, but to devote an entire post to complaining about the cost of something is beyond me. Especially when they obviously failed to research the market and see it's the exact same price range as everything else except for Ketsui which can't sell a copy to save its life.

Quickly becoming a pet peeve of mine. Especially when they try to further the belief that these are only worth of being downloadable titles.
Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

brentsg

Kotaku always makes me want to reply just to argue with those idiots.

Unfortunately I'm making a serious effort to stop frequenting forums that give me that urge.  Sadly that means I'm down to nearly none.  I think it's mainly a result of me hating close minded people.

Of all the crap on that one, my favorite was the guy who could "buy 2 bigger titles for that money".  But yeah, let's just ignore the global economy, exchange rates, local Japanese pricing practices in general, etc.. etc.

BIL

Yes and no. It's always a little bit rankling to read pieces like that, and most of the associated comments. But I'm beyond caring what the gaming mainstream thinks of anything, most of all shooters.

njiska

You're right. Maybe it's my fault for expecting any kind of journalistic integrity any more. But still in this case one of their Editors lives in Japan, plays shmups, including the ports and wrote a book on Japanese arcade culture. You'd think they'd at least not give it big billing on the front page.
Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

EOJ

It doesn't piss me off, the guy is just a moron. There are so many things wrong in that article, it's hard to find anything that is actually factually accurate. He should have given the price in yen, showed how it's the standard retail price for X360 games in Japan, showed that import stores outside of Japan, like ncsx.com, charge under $80 for it ($74 at ncsx.com), mentioned that culturally Japan is different as gamers there actually feel these games are worth full price (and they like to have physical copies) rather than a $10 download, etc etc etc.

But it's kotaku, so who cares?
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

NR777

It's funny...I actually earned a star on that site for pointing out errors in the description of ESPGaluda II's scoring system in a review.  I rarely comment because their coverage usually sucks.

skykid

Quote from: SuperPangWhere DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away