Muramasa: The Demon blade (aka Oboromuramasa) [Wii]

Started by EOJ, February 13, 2010, 09:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

I have to say I expected to like this game, but I didn't expect to love it. After putting 5 hours into it I can safely say it's one of the best games I've played in many years, and one of the best non-shooting games I've ever played (keep in mind I've been playing video games since I was 3, so that's 27 years of experience). Every time I play it I am in awe of the gorgeous graphics, the simple, yet fun gameplay, and the world map that consists of the old Japanese provinces (this has a special charm for me, particularly the Eastern provinces). I also love the cooking aspect, every time I make a Cabbage Hot Pot I feel nothing but happiness!  :)

This is the reason why you need to buy a Wii.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

thamasha69

Wow, thanks for this clarification.  I have been on the fence about it...like you, I expected it to be good, but not great - something I would quickly lose interest in.  I may now have to pick it up.  It's used value dropped again at Gamestop and it can be had for $25.  I gotta scoop this up.

EOJ

Well, not everyone loves it. For example I don't think adverse liked it much. It reminds me a lot of NES side scrolling games, like Ninja Gaiden, that I loved growing up. Just longer, deeper, with infinitely more beautiful graphics, and all in an Old Japanese setting that I personally really dig. It looks great in 480p widescreen too. :)

I really don't like any of the 3D action games out there, like the Ninja Gaidens, DMCs, and so on. Never have, and I doubt I ever will. But this, I love to pieces.

Definitely give it a try.

PS: Play it with a classic controller (I'm using the Japanese classic controller pro, which is perfect for this game) or gamecube controller if you really want to enjoy the game.
My score archive

Elixir

People dislike it because it's ridiculously repetitive. You have to go from point A to point B, kill some guys, repeat. Most of the battles don't require any strategy (unless they're bosses), they just require you to kill them really fast before they get a chance to attack. There's also an insane amount of backtracking, because they want you to fully appreciate the 9 hours of effort Vanillaware's staff put into making a single piece of road "realistic". Vanillaware's games have always looked good, but I prefer Odin Sphere. Also, the localized port is really poorly done. They kept Japanese voices, but they did a poor translation job.

Romanized original: "Aaa mou yoi. Dochira no mikata da Kongiku? Iidokoro dake wo shabere"
Official translation: Enough! Just tell me where he is."
Full translation: "Ahh enough already! Whose side are you on, Kongiku? Just tell me where he went!"

I don't dislike the game but I can see why people do. Killing stuff and collecting swords eventually gets old.

Jockel

i played it with a SNES pad and i loved it, too.
but all the backtracking _can_ get a bit boring.

EOJ

Just finished Momohime's story today. That was great fun, from start to finish.

Looks like I have to clear it with Kisuke next, then travel around with both to get all the extra blades and stuff. I also heard there's an extra difficulty mode where you only have 1HP, and it makes it play more like an arcade game. Looking forward to unlocking that!  :)
My score archive

Karl

Shouldn't you have unlocked that difficulty setting already? I only finished Momohime's story and had it unlock. You need to start a new file to be able to use it.

EOJ

I haven't tried to start a new file yet, thanks for the tip.
My score archive