Main Menu

Need some advice...

Started by Alexfusheng, January 19, 2012, 01:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexfusheng

Great website and forums by the way...

I have been dabbling with a few Cave shooters on my xbox 360 off and on this past year and now i want to settle on a game to really try and get good at it and play for high scoring. I am basically a noob with these games and some of the techniques/strats for scoring seem a little beyond me at this point which is kinda why i would like to pick a game and stick with it long enough to really understand all the ins and outs about it.

I would appreciate some advice on a good entry level shooter. I have a few I can choose from that i already own and have played very casually:

All of these are region-free xbox 360 version:

Deathsmiles

Espgaluda II Black Label (Platinum Collection) for Xbox 360 (Japanese Language Import - Region Free)

Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 (Platinum Collection) for Xbox 360 (Japanese Language Import - Region Free)

Deathsmiles IIX

and I have Guwange on xbox live arcade and finally a non-cave shooter Trouble Witches Neo....

Personally I'm leaning towards Deathsmiles IIX after reading over the guide posted it seems pretty basic as far as Cave shooters go?

I also enjoyed Trouble Witches alot but I havent read any guides on scoring with that one but seems pretty easy from what I have played..

I would like to maybe get in the top 50 or so on the xbox leaderboards for the games that support it.

Any advice would be helpful.

Even though I have spent some time with these games I still feel very clueless about getting into the nitty-gritty of scoring on shooter games. I have basically played to the end stage of each of these games but just using continues mainly so I could see most of what the game offered in levels, graphics and music. I have enjoyed doing that but I think I am ready to get good at one of them.

ugh long post.. thanks for reading.

Special World

I suggest giving one a few runs, then read up on scoring strategies for it, then give it a few more runs with what you've read in mind, then re-examine the scoring strategies and give it a few more runs.

Do this with all the game you have, and then decide which one you think is the overall most fun to score in. I would wager that you'll never be the world's best player at any of them, so just pick the one you like most and then play it as often as possible. If you get sick of it, switch to a different game and let yourself recharge. There's no correct answer for this, it's whatever YOU like best. Keep playing, and try to best your scores.

Other than that, it may be a good idea to stay away from Guwange and EspGaluda II for now. Guwange has an extremely strict system, where one death can really cost you. EspGaluda is insanely in-depth, and might be too immense to start out with.

But if one of those is your absolute, no-nonsense favorite, then by all means, go for it. Just try to have some fun with it.

Orochi S

I would suggest putting some time into Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (or perhaps Black Label if you download it) on original mode. It's a fantastic game with a straightforward scoring system and is not too difficult to 1cc. Try playing as either Reco using normal shot-type or Palm using abnormal shot.

This is many people's favourite Cave game and is a great way to get into the genre.

lam47

Personally I find futari really hard.
My advice would be to stay well away from esp2, it's nails and very complex.
Deathsmiles is great because you can scale it to your abilities. Mbl 1.1 is great fun too.
I think I was in the top 50 at one point. Certainly on the uk leader boards anyway.

The game you enjoy playing the most is likely going to be the one you are best at.
Good luck.

Alexfusheng

Makes sense to stick with whatever game I like best for sure. I guess I just wanted to make sure I didn't jump in over my head with complex scoring techniques and get discouraged too quick.

I think I will take the advice and do a little bit of futari and deathsmiles and see which one grabs me. I really like both of those games. i can work on trying to get to the end of each of those without using a continue. Probably be a good start

thanks for the advice :)

Special World

Some more advice: definitely try out Futari Black Label. All its modes are easier than their 1.5 versions, while adding a lot of scoring depth and visual stimuli. Personally I think it's heads and tails above 1.5, and I thought that was the best STG of all time when I first played it.

Also, Futari Black Label Original is the first STG I ever 1CCed, so it shouldn't be too brutal.

lam47

Futari original isn't too hard no. I think maniac can be pretty tough though. Or is it just me? What's the general consensus on futari's difficulty?

Seconded with the Black Lavel! It makes a big difference to Futari.

Muchi Muchi Spork

My 2 cents for the 1CC...

1.5 Original = nice difficulty level
1.5 Maniac = slightly too hard, but absolutely compelling
Black Label Original = way too easy
Black Label Maniac = a bit too easy

TimingTripod40

Muchi Muchi Spork

I like to forget them on purpose. You literally have to sign a digital waiver to even play them. 1.5 Ultra, Mike Tyson punches you raw dog right after you hit start. Black Label God Mode he puts on gloves but will still bite your ear off even if you manage to stay up for a bit. Something like that.

Special World

I've managed to get to the stage 3 boss on God mode, and it seems to me I'm really not very good at all compared to the average player on these forums.

It's a great mode. A complete blast, even though I'm no good at it.

Alexfusheng

Quote from: Special World on January 19, 2012, 07:54:23 PM
Some more advice: definitely try out Futari Black Label. All its modes are easier than their 1.5 versions, while adding a lot of scoring depth and visual stimuli. Personally I think it's heads and tails above 1.5, and I thought that was the best STG of all time when I first played it.

Also, Futari Black Label Original is the first STG I ever 1CCed, so it shouldn't be too brutal.

I have decided on futari 1.5 as my game. I played futari and deathsmiles 2x for a couple hours each last night. I like both games quite alot but futari just felt better to play for me.

Black label I would like to try that out but it looks like it is no longer available on the xbox live marketplace. I can see the option for black label in the game menu but I cant purchase it. Not sure if there are other ways of getting it.

I played xbox 360 original mode with reco on normal. I also tried out the arrange mode novice but it was way too easy. Not sure how this mode stacks up against black label as far being easier than normal mode goes....

Is the only difference between xbox360 and arcade modes the graphics?

lam47

Nobody plays arrange, it's utter rubbish.

Alexfusheng

Quote from: lam47 on January 20, 2012, 09:36:35 AM
Nobody plays arrange, it's utter rubbish.

What is the arrange mode for exactly?

lam47

Goodness knows. It's just a mess.

Alexfusheng

Quote from: lam47 on January 20, 2012, 10:23:39 AM
Goodness knows. It's just a mess.

LOL ok then. I like normal mode better anyway so no skin off my back :)

Special World

TC: Black Label should be in the US marketplace under the heading "Black Lavel," unless they removed it for some unknown reason. You might have to use the Xbox Guide button from inside the game to access it. I'm not sure how it works anymore, it's been so long since I downloaded it. It's absolutely worth finding out, though. I thought Futari 1.5 was the best shooter of all time. Then I played Black Label. I've only played 1.5 three times since then, and I've probably clocked in 100 hours on Black Label.

And yeah, Arrange is terrible. Though I have the feeling that most people wouldn't even play it if it were good.

What's up with Cave's Arrange modes being so garbage? The only good one they've released is Pink Sweets arrange, and that's way too easy for the first 4 stages.

I guess people like Espgaluda Arrange, but it was just too brutal for me at the time I played it, so I can't say.

Alexfusheng

Quote from: Special World on January 20, 2012, 10:30:28 AM
TC: Black Label should be in the US marketplace under the heading "Black Lavel," unless they removed it for some unknown reason. You might have to use the Xbox Guide button from inside the game to access it. I'm not sure how it works anymore, it's been so long since I downloaded it. It's absolutely worth finding out, though.

Ok cool Ill try that method out today. I would like to try out 'black label' version for sure. Thanks for tip! :)

lam47

I still don't fully understand some of esp2's modes. Black label is crazy complicated.
Is arrange the one where you just shoot through all the red bullets? I found that a little dull.

Alexfusheng

Quote from: Alexfusheng on January 20, 2012, 11:17:31 AM
Quote from: Special World on January 20, 2012, 10:30:28 AM
TC: Black Label should be in the US marketplace under the heading "Black Lavel," unless they removed it for some unknown reason. You might have to use the Xbox Guide button from inside the game to access it. I'm not sure how it works anymore, it's been so long since I downloaded it. It's absolutely worth finding out, though.

Ok cool Ill try that method out today. I would like to try out 'black label' version for sure. Thanks for tip! :)

Xbox really screwed that one up.. I found it but as you said it was listed as Black Lavel and they even had the game listed wrong as Mushihime-sama Hutari... Lol must have had some trouble with translation.

Anyhoo got black label and i like it. Thanks for the help