Dodonpachi Saidaioujou [Cave 2012, ARCADE]

Started by joeks, December 21, 2011, 02:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emphatic

Quote from: EOJ on April 22, 2012, 02:05:45 AM
C-Expert, stage 1 to the beginning of stage 5, on one credit:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17615697

Oh, man, the slowdown on that last stage four boss pattern feels unpredictable and scary as hell.  :'(

EOJ

Yeah, nasty stuff.

The guy was good, but barely managed to get to the beginning of stage 5. Stage 5 is a nightmare, then you have the boss, then you're guaranteed at least one TLB (unless it really does loop). You only get one bomb per life. One of Cave's toughest games, that's for sure.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

CIB

Stage 4 boss looks harder than many TLB from previous games  :oogle: :whyioughtta:
Can't see how this game could loop  :laugh:

x91

The game got set up at 4pm, then the whole shmup sector was on fire... About 10 guys(okay there were 2 girls) crowded at that cabinet. 2 coins for 1 credit, but worth.

SDOJ did impress me today; harsh bullet size, unpredictable patterns, and particulary unfriendly to those who are new to this game, the bullet patterns might not like Ketsui, but the intense game flow has the spirit of a brutal challenging shmup.

Only be able to have 6 or 7 runs today, and the final one made it to the hive area of stage 5, the score was 3 bil. Ship C-Laser.

Pity they replaced Ketsui with SDOJ for now, oh my...

Sapz

This game looks pretty mindblowing from the videos I've seen. It has a way of looking big and intimidating that recent Cave stuff seemed to lack somewhat. Man, if this turns out to have a loop... :laugh: God damn, I hope they decide to port this to the 360 in the future.

TimingTripod40

Quote from: x91 on April 22, 2012, 11:58:43 AM
Does that mean no more crazy huge scores from you?  :'(

x91

Quote from: TimingTripod40 on April 22, 2012, 01:15:53 PM
Quote from: x91 on April 22, 2012, 11:58:43 AM
Does that mean no more crazy huge scores from you?  :'(

At least for some time, perhaps more than a few weeks or so... I'll try to sustain my skills, hoping I can still score some in 1st loop when it's back...

eckart

From those who played it allready, is the easiest mode harder than doj?
Or more or less the same?

EOJ

The expert mode vid was by YOS.K, the same guy with the Pink Sweets WR, and he was the first person to counterstop DFK 1.0, which he did about a week after the game's release. His comment on the video is "Is this even possible to 1CC?" :laugh:
My score archive

x91

Quote from: EOJ on April 22, 2012, 07:25:51 PM
The expert mode vid was by YOS.K, the same guy with the Pink Sweets WR, and he was the first person to counterstop DFK 1.0, which he did about a week after the game's release. His comment on the video is "Is this even possible to 1CC?" :laugh:

And a week later he embrassed CAVE to revision the game to 1.5(what the heck I'm talking about

EOJ

Yeah, I mentioned his DFK 1.0 counterstop. Cave knew about the counterstop before he did it, though.
My score archive

x91

The best progress we have in Shanghai on the first day SDOJ arrived, by one of the top players in China, WC.

This one's mine?? difference can be told easily.

Maybe we can have a Laser 1CC today, as long as they have time to keep pushing.

EOJ

Nice scores! I have yet to see anyone get over 5bil, though in Cave's promo video for the game the top score was 17bil, so there's a lot of room for improvement.
My score archive

Kiel

Quote from: ookitarepanda on April 21, 2012, 08:30:14 PM
Quote from: EOJ on April 21, 2012, 08:29:03 AM
SDOJ has better better boss music theme

Funny you say this because the first thing I noticed was the boss music being a remix of the boss music from DFK but with dubstep WUB WUBs in the middle.

Also, question for those playing: Does this have a damn laserbomb? Because if not, I'll never play the game ever.  :P

I would like to know about the laser bomb as well.

Also looks like stage 4 music is a remix of stage 2 DOJ music

EOJ

My score archive

TonK

Quote from: EOJ on April 22, 2012, 10:27:40 PM
There's no laser bomb.

That kind of sucks.

Oh well, I'm still looking forward to trying this out, although less and less as I see more videos.

I'm hearing mixed reviews. Think I need to judge for myself.

Hell, I wrote off ESPRade before I played it and I ended up liking it.

EOJ

What are these mixed reviews you speak of? I haven't found anyone who has played it that doesn't like it, have you?

Laser bomb wasn't in DFK either, I guess this continues that trend. The bombs in this game are massive and powerful, so I have no complaints there.
My score archive

SpiralSage

So... at most, you can have only two bombs at your disposal?

I'm kind of digging these implications.

EOJ

Depends on the ship type and whether autobomb is on or off. Expert with Autobomb on never gets more than 1 bomb, but you eventually get 2 with it off. Shot style w/ autobomb off maxes out at 6 bombs when you're on your last life.
My score archive

TonK

Quote from: EOJ on April 22, 2012, 11:37:08 PM
What are these mixed reviews you speak of? I haven't found anyone who has played it that doesn't like it, have you?

Laser bomb wasn't in DFK either, I guess this continues that trend. The bombs in this game are massive and powerful, so I have no complaints there.

My friends giving me their impressions are the source of my reviews, a few thought it was fun. A few thought it was too repetitive. Nobody hated it.

DFK really didn't need a laser bomb with all of the hyper bullet canceling during boss fights.

SuperPang

EOJ

And the poster's already framed. Enjoy the game!

@TonK: 'too repetitive'? What a weird complaint for this game.
My score archive

x91

wc. has 1cced SDOJ with A-Laser today, with 2 remaining ships, finishing score 6.9bil. Another player WS. cleared the game more than 3 times with A-Shot, highest score is 4.3bil. Type B and C are still no progress.

From watching and playing I think Type-A is the most powerful ship in SDOJ, steady movement and firepower. Type-B's shot is way too unstable to control well, and Type-C is a little bit slow when choosing Shot enhancement. Movement with Laser is OK but the shot are not capable of clearing out the screen most of the time.

We also have concluded some scoring technics during our discussion and practical run. Maybe I'll spare some time to write them down.

The re-shaped bullets really is a pain in the arse, they are so large that it's very easy to bump on one when you thought you have dodged it.

SuperPang

First impressions after ten or so credits.

Firstly, it looks horrific :lol: The bubblegum style and ridiculously vibrant colour pallet are really gaudy. The soundtrack is equally sickly. A very odd experience in what is otherwise DOJ2. It would probably work better in high res. The inevitable port might make more sense.

Gameplay wise, it's one of Cave's hardest for sure. Shot and Laser modes seem a similar challenge to DOJ so far. Expert ramps things up to somewhere around Ultra difficulty. I really can't see there being a second loop. Expert is it.

The bullet patterns are very reminiscent of the Ketsui/DOJ era, which I love. The patterns are only half the story where difficulty is concerned however, hitboxes seem bigger than anything Cave have done. You don't get away with half as much. Autobomb seems like a must for now.

I'm liking the A ship overall. B seems handy for killing popcorn enemies quickly. C seems too slow. I think A-Laser will be my game,

Chaining isn't very strict. Not entirely sure how to score well though. I've only managed half a billion so far and haven't seen stage four yet :lol: (other than to confirm that Ustream freeze was a one off). I need to get my hyper meter up quicker to start milking the crazy sections for gold, I know that much. I don't think my rank has been over 3 yet either!

Overall, it's not love at first sight but it very rarely is. I need to know where the scoring kick is. One thing that's clear, though, Cave have aimed this one firmly at the hardcore, the bubblegum chewing hardcore.

TonK

Quote from: SuperPang on April 23, 2012, 12:08:47 PM
First impressions after ten or so credits.

Firstly, it looks horrific :lol: The bubblegum style and ridiculously vibrant colour pallet are really gaudy. The soundtrack is equally sickly. A very odd experience in what is otherwise DOJ2. It would probably work better in high res. The inevitable port might make more sense.

Gameplay wise, it's one of Cave's hardest for sure. Shot and Laser modes seem a similar challenge to DOJ so far. Expert ramps things up to somewhere around Ultra difficulty. I really can't see there being a second loop. Expert is it.

The bullet patterns are very reminiscent of the Ketsui/DOJ era, which I love. The patterns are only half the story where difficulty is concerned however, hitboxes seem bigger than anything Cave have done. You don't get away with half as much. Autobomb seems like a must for now.

I'm liking the A ship overall. B seems handy for killing popcorn enemies quickly. C seems too slow. I think A-Laser will be my game,

Chaining isn't very strict. Not entirely sure how to score well though. I've only managed half a billion so far and haven't seen stage four yet :lol: (other than to confirm that Ustream freeze was a one off). I need to get my hyper meter up quicker to start milking the crazy sections for gold, I know that much. I don't think my rank has been over 3 yet either!

Overall, it's not love at first sight but it very rarely is. I need to know where the scoring kick is. One thing that's clear, though, Cave have aimed this one firmly at the hardcore, the bubblegum chewing hardcore.

Keep us posted.

Doesn't sound very promising from the get go, but I've hated quite a few games when I first played them and they turned out to be favorites.

Glad it arrived safely. Looks very nice.

Fu-ZAN

Let_It_Be

Do you want him to factor in the cost of a prosthetic arm and leg along with the cost of the kit?

TonK