Main Menu

DOJ coming to PGM2!

Started by SuperPang, April 21, 2010, 06:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperPang

Very surprising email from ECL in my inbox this morning. It seems IGS are marketing Daioujou for Taiwan on the PGM2 system, much in the same way as they did with KOF 98 UM (blue hardware).
Anyone heard any details?

markedkiller78

It's $900 for the "full set including motherboard"

I asked about artwork, so I'm guessing this is what the full set is.

Do you think this is to do with the AMI thing ending? Re-release on PGM2 seems really weird though

SuperPang

No weirder than KOF 98 UM and it will be a lot less work than that being PGM based. I forgot about AMI's distribution rights ending. That will have helped :)

markedkiller78

But why not DOJ BL?

DOJ can be had for ?250 / $400. Ketsui and DOJ BL still demand a premium. Seems daft. If it drops to $400-500 like all the other PGM2 titles I might get semi interested.

SuperPang

I'm hoping its a v3.0 with a few things borrowed from BL. I can't imagine its a huge departure from either but if it aint broke..

eckart

A dream come true. Cavegames on cartridges.
Maybe we will get a 4 player support.:)

Did anybody know the difference between the red and blue motherboards?

Kiken

Doesn't the title for this version actually read: Dodonpachi Daioujou Tamashi?

thegreathopper

Quote from: Kiken on April 21, 2010, 12:00:49 PM

Allegedly so, But what does that mean?

brentsg

necpmf

DDPDOJ: Blacker than black label

EOJ

Quote from: thegreathopper on April 21, 2010, 03:16:16 PM
Quote from: Kiken on April 21, 2010, 12:00:49 PM

Allegedly so, But what does that mean?

Tamashii = "soul"
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

pixeljunkie

Still REALLY curious about this one. Anyone seen/played it?

eckart

Wich modifications had king of fighters for the pgm2? Anybody knows?
-Maybe we will get this kind of polish for DOJ, too.

zlk

adverse

There was a post on Mihara's blog the other day where he confirmed the PGM version is the same version of the game, just with Cantonese text.

EOJ

My score archive

adverse

Yeah please folks don't burn 900 bucks on this.

GaijinPunch

What about the pellet power?

EOJ

Hong Kong retailer hype machine.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

I guess that's one less game that will sit around my apartment.  Current one: DSIIX LE still in the wrapper. :)

EOJ

Writeup on the game (it's now playable at Mikado Arcade) w/ pics and a 25min video:

http://moon.ap.teacup.com/qwertyuiop/1216.html

It has both an "Easy" mode and an "Original" mode (Black Label is not included). Original's bullets don't speed up as much as in the original DOJ, so maybe they toned down the rank. Some boss patterns are also different, apparently easier. Not sure about Easy mode, but it seems to have a separate scoreboard.

Finally, the board saves scores after power down!

Also note the title screen says "2010 Cave".

My score archive

emphatic

Does the PGM2 have stereo sound, or just plain mono? That's the only reason I see for ever owning one of these instead of the PCB (except for it saving scores).

ave

The extends are set down to 10 and 30 mio. BL was 20 and 50, regular DOJ at 40 and 90 if I'm not mistaken.
東亜プラン4ライフ

moozooh

You are, though, regular DOJ was 10 and 30 as well.
<dan76> As it is I'll have to endure high res - life's hard.

SuperPang

Cheers EOJ. This is back on my wanted list now. Next price cut perhaps.

brentsg

Have any vendors had price cuts to date on this?

thegreathopper

Quote from: emphatic on June 17, 2010, 02:03:59 AM
Does the PGM2 have stereo sound, or just plain mono? That's the only reason I see for ever owning one of these instead of the PCB (except for it saving scores).

PGM2 only has mono which is a big shame.

Kaneda

I played Easy mode the other day and while it was indeed easier, it wasn't the pushover I was expecting. Otherwise, seemed like the same ole DOJ, so unless you're a real collector I wouldn't bother buying the cart.

SuperPang

I have this :facepalm:

I'm no DOJ hexpert and it's been several months since I played it (and that was BL) so I find it hard to spot differences in Original mode. Most people who've seen the Nico footage seem to concur bullets are a tad slower. Easy mode however, is really rather neat. Like Kaneda said, it's no "Novice" mode that's for sure but the more you play, the more you notice, especially later in the game. Certain bullet patterns are significantly slowed down and some of the more manic ones (bosses etc) are reduced. Basically, it's DOJ but a bit more easy going and the changes give you more options where DOJ got a bit crazy. Feels like a mere mortal could ICC it.

EOJ

My score archive