Monthly Competition #5 - DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou Death Label

Started by Kaneda, July 02, 2008, 05:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaneda

This month's score competition will be for DOJ's Death Label mode found in the PS2 port.

You can use whichever ship type you wish, highest score wins. Good luck!

Please post scores in the following format:
name - score - stage - ship type

1. Shalashaska - 1,510,399,140 - 1-5 - A-E
2. Plasmo - 1,385,564,640 - 1-5 - A-E
3. elf - 1,260,000,000 - 1-5 - A-E

EOJ

Great idea. I might actually participate in this one.:D
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Plasmo

Plasmo - 1,385,564,640 - 1-5 - A-E

2 bombs for stage 2 boss.
1 bomb for stage 3 boss.
2 bombs for stage 4 boss.
No Miss up to 1-5, then got slaughtered.

jpj

awesome choice.  sadly this mode doesn't work with my pal ps2 & swapmagic though :whyioughtta:
goodluck to everyone :)

GaijinPunch

elf

i'll join in.
1.100.000.000  1-5  A-E   ?Hits

Something like that.
Currently having a ps2 for a short time, so i can put some more dedication into it.

Shalashaska

Fun choice and actually my favorite port "extra". Of course I'll be gone all this month and will have no time (just like the first 4 competitions) past this weekend to participate. :(

Shalashaska

Shalashaska - 1,478,154,050 - 1-5 - A-E

Put in about an hour and a half today and came up with this. I used 1 bomb on the stage 2 boss and 1 on the stage 3 boss. I can usually no miss the first 2 forms of Hibachi but ended up dying twice on his first form and twice on his second form during this particular run. :rolleyes: Still managed to get to the dual Hibachi's final pattern on my last life and lasted about .4 seconds after it started. :laugh:

elf

I think the competition has ended right here.
would be surprised if this can be beaten so soon.

Shalashaska

Shalashaska - 1,510,399,140 - 1-5 - A-E

Much better run though I still didn't make the 2nd loop. :( Panic bombed (1 bomb) the stage 3 boss's final pattern.

elf

how much dedication have you put in this mode before this competition?
Really impressive scores, and it'd be amazing if you clear the first loop with a nice score

RGC

I've made it to 1-5 once, and based on the above posts I'm a digit deficient. Is there a strategy for this mode, other than dodge shit and shoot the shitter?

elf

-Definetly use A-E, since you earn most points with it (3 lives in stock at the beginning, no healing bomb up to stage 3 boss)
-Also consider that your 5 hypers shouldnt be used just for 2 seconds, they're THE damage-making power and thus will also help you earning a lot of points.

You can only score by dying/bombing as few as possible, and to do that, use tricks!
Nicovideo might help you out there

Shalashaska

Quote from: elfhow much dedication have you put in this mode before this competition?
Really impressive scores, and it'd be amazing if you clear the first loop with a nice score
I've put in quite a few hours on Death Label before, more even than the real game, but this is the first I've played it for some time. I leave Sunday though for 3 weeks so that will probably be my final score.

The stage 2 boss definately gives me the most trouble. If its second pattern is anything but the criss-crossing blue needle pattern or the one where it shoots a long stream of red orbs followed quickly by long crossing blue needles, I have to bomb or die. I just can't consistently dodge the other patterns.

The stage 3 boss just has that wicked final attack though the 3rd pattern has been known to fuck me quite a bit.

The stage 4 boss is, imo, definately the easiest (other than the first obviously). If you do it right then the only pattern you really have to dodge is the second one.

Stage 5 sucks. :D

elf

Quote from: ShalashaskaThe stage 2 boss definately gives me the most trouble. If its second pattern is anything but the criss-crossing blue needle pattern or the one where it shoots a long stream of red orbs followed quickly by long crossing blue needles, I have to bomb or die. I just can't consistently dodge the other patterns.
thanks to plasmo i found a very easy strategy to no miss/2 bomb that boss.
do you use sweet spots?

Also have you learned to dodge the stagd 3 boss? Its giving me a lot of pain, especially the 2nd pattern, which is mostly luck, also the patterns of this boss just WHIP out your life stock.
I already managed to no miss him, but for my strategy i die there, once.

Stage 4 truly is not so hard if there wasnt this 2nd pattern, which is very easy in the normal way, but kinda undodgable there because of th emax rank.
Any strats for this pattern? maybe using the whole screen?

Plasmo

@Shalashaska
How on earth can you even half consistently dodge the last attack of the third boss?? I ALWAYS use a bomb there.

elf

elf - 1,180,000,000 - A type exy  5th Stage
Also reached the last form of hibachi

Shalashaska

Quote from: elfthanks to plasmo i found a very easy strategy to no miss/2 bomb that boss.
do you use sweet spots?
I'm guessing sweet spots = safe spots? The only two I know of on that boss is sitting over the rotating turret at the very start of the fight and hovering in the middle of it right after it changes to the second form. If there are any others I'd love to hear about them. :D I always start the fight sitting just to the right of the right turret but only use the second safe spot if I had to bomb before the boss changes forms (or....attack patterns rather). In that case it is, as you said, an easy and pretty safe 2 bomb clear.

Quote from: elfAlso have you learned to dodge the stagd 3 boss? Its giving me a lot of pain, especially the 2nd pattern, which is mostly luck, also the patterns of this boss just WHIP out your life stock.
I already managed to no miss him, but for my strategy i die there, once.
I know what you mean about that second pattern. Sometimes there are very open and defined lanes and sometimes....well, not so much. Most of the time it helps if you can position yourself directly under the middle of the boss before that attack begins, as the lanes seem to appear more often this way. This can be a little tricky depending on where you are after the first pattern is over.

I start the fight by point blanking the right side and moving down and to the left. Once the first blue shots appear I activate my hypers and move up and to the left, point blanking again, and over to the right where I originally started. It makes sort of a triangle I guess. At this point the hypers invincibility wears off and I'm moving downward toward to the bottom of the screen (you should only have to dodge one more blue bullet wave) and lining myself up with the center of the boss for the 2nd pattern. Try to make small movements as it seems to be one of those patterns that kind of collapses on itself if you move a lot.

Quote from: elfStage 4 truly is not so hard if there wasnt this 2nd pattern, which is very easy in the normal way, but kinda undodgable there because of th emax rank.
Any strats for this pattern? maybe using the whole screen?
For the second pattern just concentrate on the red streams. Obvious yes, but I often find myself being distracted by the blue shots (which aren't really that dangerous) and flying right into a column of red. I start that pattern at the bottom left (not extreme left, to about where the second bomb icon is) and make small movements to the right, focusing on the red shots. Sometimes I'll get a red stream right in front of me and I have to make a small movement back to the left but then I'll keep moving right again. Your hypers will force the boss to change forms before the attack is finished so you only have to last for ~3/4 of that pattern, maybe a bit less.

Quote from: PlasmoHow on earth can you even half consistently dodge the last attack of the third boss?? I ALWAYS use a bomb there.
The final attack is brutal and I would hardly say I can dodge it consistently. I always start the attack from directly centerline and then, depending on how the red bullets are moving (either clockwise or counter) I'll move to the right or left and about a ships length up. If you've hypered the entire fight you should only have to dodge maybe 2-3 blue, sideways moving streams before your hyper guage has filled again and turns everything into stars. At this point I move from the center to either the right or left.

The gaps are larger on the sides obviously but you have to dodge 2 streams moving in opposite directions as opposed to jumping through 1 when they come together closer in the middle. I usually move horizontally and let the blue streams pass by me rather than vertically through them. It's a right, left, right (or opposite depending on the side) movement as opposed to up and down. If you can hold out you'll take the boss down just as the cheese grader looking things are approaching the bottom of the screen. The blue needle bullets that the cheese graders shoot out can sometimes start aimed directly at you which you have to compensate for. I almost always die when that happens.

elf

1,260,000,000 A_E  Stage 5  149Hits

No miss up to stage 5 DEFINETLY possible.
Had a run with a lower score before where i unreasonably died only once shortly before the stage 3boss explodes (in his first form).

Icarus

Here's a replay of the stage3 boss destroyed with only one bomb used. If you have confidence dodging through the very last pattern, you can do it without using a bomb at all.

Also, I can manage to no-miss the stage4 boss within the space of a Hyper gauge, but I seem incapable of doing it when I've got Virtualdub recording. -_-;;

A lot depends on the first pattern of the first form - you need to time your Hyper activation as late into the very first pattern as possible, then pointblank the boss until the first pattern ends. Quickly back off and dodge through the second pattern until the first form is destroyed, then deal with the boss as normal. If done correctly, you can destroy the boss before the Hyper depletes (filling the extra Hyper bars superplay-style during the second and third forms is very helpful for screenwiping here).

Also, if you have confidence with the first form of Hibachi, then you can try this five Hyper speedkill technique that was on nicovideo. I posted it a few days in the video links thread in case people missed it.

Good luck to all participants. I'm not taking part, as my patience with Daioujou lasts about an hour before I get the urge to snap my controller in irritation.

elf

thanks, luck definetly is an important factor we all need :cool:

But same as you, i dont also play more than an hour per day, because im usually close to heart attacks.
Death Label is not a game with much long-time motivation.

Also thanks for the videos, every little help is useful, and the stage 3 boss video shows the best / easiest way.

Geeb

elf

does noones play this one anymore?  :(
I will try to no miss the run once more, so i can drop this and finally dedicate to the normal game again.
Too bad, since there wasnt really much competition here, yet.

EDIT: Oh wait the month has passed already

jpj

LGB: only people who participated in the current comp are eligible for selecting the next months game.

elf

EOJ

@elf, yes, we already did Ibara (Dyne). Another Ibara challenge is possible though (e.g Harder mode).

For August, Shalashaka can choose the game.
My score archive

Geeb

Quote from: jpj on July 30, 2008, 01:46:38 PM
LGB: only people who participated in the current comp are eligible for selecting the next months game.
Ah. That one must have slipped by me. Choose well, Shalasaka.

EOJ

Alright, Shalashaka can't choose this month (too busy with real life stuff), so how about Plasmo!
My score archive

Plasmo

I would've liked Muchi Muchi Pork Harahara mode or Pink Sweets Harder mode MUCH more but only a few people could actually participate and I for myself don't have the PCB's anyway. So I decided to give Ibara another try this month!
Hope you enjoy!