Monthly Competition #9 (December-January) - Espgaluda Arrange

Started by EOJ, November 30, 2008, 09:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

Seems we missed last month's competition, so here's one for GaijinPunch. Competition begins Dec 1, 2008 and ends Jan 31, 2009:

Espgaluda PS2 Arrange mode

Rules: All defaults. Either character is OK.

RANKING:

1.  GaijinPunch - 233,630,367 - 5-2 - Black
2.  Gwyrgyn Blood - 200,039,209 - 5-1 - Black
3.  RGC - 174,687,031 - 5-1 - Black
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

jpj

nice one, and cool choice  :righton:

sadly, i sold my ps2 version a while back so i can't play.  but goodluck to evryone else, what a fun game  =D

GaijinPunch

Fuck!   Uggh... I literally have like no time this month.
Going to have to reschedule some stuff it seems.

EOJ

You want to do it next month instead? No one has submitted any scores, so I can substitute something else for December.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

It's your call, although I'm almost guaranteed to put more time in next month.   I can guarantee a 200 mil score. ;)

EOJ

Let's just make it from Dec-Jan. A 2 month competition! That should give most everyone a chance to go for a score.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

Cool.  You know, I popped this fucker in, and did my best Stage 1-4 run ever.  No missed up to Stage 4 boss, and died to replenish my gems.  Then, 5-1 was an absolutely disaster.

drboom

I think I may join you guys at this one. I'll have to learn how to do the swap trick, but I'm kind of itchig to play this one again. It was the first pcb I bought, but I sold it a long while back.

GaijinPunch

Jump on in -- ESPGaluda arrange might be the best bonus mode in console game history.

RGC

Had a quick go the other night, and managed an amazing 62mil with Black  :-[

Mind you, my best is only 110mil.

GaijinPunch

RGC

Gwyrgyn

Anything from Boss 3 onwards gives me fits in this game.
Gwyrgyn Blood - 200,039,209 - 5-1 - Black

GaijinPunch

RGC

RGC

Broke my PB last night with around 129m. I reckon this mode is harder to score consistently well than ESPG2.

Gwyrgyn

Seems a lot easier to score consistently than Galuda 2 to me, but a bigger pain not to get killed. Using Kakusei in Arrange gets the same bullet-doubling effect as you get in Zeshikai in Galuda 2.

Although it is a bit of a pain to make sure to nail 64x every time.

BTW, what's the deal with getting more than 16x in regular mode? I've gotten up to around 24x before on bosses before.

GaijinPunch

Not sure how regular mode works, but I've gotten over x16 on normal enemies.

The key to getting x64 on the big guys is you need to fire the weak shot for a few seconds first, then throw the goop on them (while holding the weak shot the whole time).  You should be able to get some good practice in on stage 2 (the blimps and shit) and then calibrate for each stage after.

The bosses are bar none the hardest part of this game.  If they didn't require so much fucking barrier, the game would be very bearable.

drboom

Bought an NEC XM29 Plus yeasterday (!) and a Japanese PS2, plus a copy of ESPGaluda. Played a bunch last night, I'll start in on Arrange, but I have to say - holy crap. This port is awesome!

RGC

Not sure if I'll improve upon my latest score:

RGC - 167,147,191 - 5-1 - Black

Really clicked with this tonight, avoiding autobarrier like there was no tomorrow. Still cannot pinpoint Black's hitbox though.

Here's my approximate stage breakdown:
1 ~ 32m, 2 ~ 37m, 3 ~ 46m, 4 ~ 36m, 5 ~ 11m
I'd appreciate any advice on stages where my scores might be improved without insane levels of risk.

RGC

My first and only run today:

RGC - 174,687,031 - 5-1 - Black

1~35m, 2~35m, 3~42m, 4~46m, 5-1~15m

Broke the 35m on stage 1 :D

EOJ

I forgot I started this thread! Sorry for the lack of updates, but I put all the scores up now.
My score archive

RGC

Shit. Guess that means I'm too late to go for the 201ml. :(

If no one else has an alternative suggestion, we should extend this by another month. Still waiting for drboom, plus a 250m+ from GP. :)

Geeb

EOJ

If you want to open a new competition for Feb, go ahead. The first person to open a thread gets to choose the game.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

Never  got around to 250mil.  One day, I will clear this fucking game. Not for a while though.