DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou: Tamashii - Differences & Details?

Started by slateman, April 04, 2018, 04:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slateman

This game was emulated in MAME as of 0.193 or so and considering the seeming rarity and high price of the board itself, I wondered if anyone has investigated this version. 

I always thought it was an odd release: issued in 2010, eight years after DOJ, and only in China & Taiwan on PGM2.  It contains an Easy Mode as well as Original Mode, but my knowledge really ends there.  Bullet patterns, game speed, bomb stock and lives appear to be the same.  Seeing as how many of you know these games in far more detail than me, I wondered if anyone had additional information?

I returned to DDP Unlimited on my phone a little bit ago (yeah...I know...) and with EOJ's revival of this forum, I'm inspired to update/fix-up/revamp my DDP site, (http://slateman.net/beestorm/).  Figured having some Tamashii info might be good to add. 

Muchi Muchi Spork

I bought it, cleared it and resold it several years ago. It's not worth buying when you can just buy the original game and then rom upgrade it between 3 versions (DDP3, DOJ White, DOJ Black). Going by memory, there is the added Easy Mode and the game defaults (in the service mode) to Easy, and there is an occasional sound glitch, I think based around a looping spot. If you really want to get in the weeds with it you could download my clear(s) of it and run them side by side next to regular DOJ videos but it's nothing special.

I don't think the first loop of DOJ Black needed an easier mode/version at all. It's nowhere close to the hardest Cave clear and is actually kind of perfect. I think maybe around the time it was believed that most Chinese arcade goers liked their games a bit easier than the typical bullet hell.

slateman

Thanks for the details.  My comparisons with easy mode didn't really show a significant difference, really. 

DDP is by far my favorite series, despite my terrible skill level.  My only true accomplishment is chaining DOJ's first level.  I appreciate your reply.

EOJ

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999