Main Menu

Quiz: 100 most common English words

Started by EOJ, August 07, 2008, 04:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

http://codebox.no-ip.net/controller?page=misc.QuizCommonWords

You have 5 minutes, and only one try. I did it once, and my score was 37/100. Anyone do better than that?
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

RAR

MX7

23  :-[

My excuse was that I was coming at it from a developmental perspective, so I tried lots of 'm' sounds, and pets and that kind of crap. Then towards the end I just put in mild profanities.

drboom

33 out of 100. But I haven't had my morning coffee yet.

Kaneda

I got 46, but I swear some of the ones I missed I had tried already.

GaijinPunch

35... and yeah, I think they fucked me out of about 5.

26, eh?  Nice job there, doctorate in linguistics. Haha :righton:

EOJ

Yeah, I think there's something wrong with the quiz. At a bbs where linguistic professors gather, the best score I found was 64, and most got something in the 30s-40s (some in the 20s). Though being a linguist doesn't really give an advantage in a quiz like this.

@GP: I got 37, not 26. ;)
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

gsl

46.  I got better about halfway through when I realized most of the words were essentially basic grammar--most forms of 'to be', and I was really on a roll when I started reeling off prepositions.  :laugh:

GaijinPunch

I think it was rigged.  How could "cock" not be in there?

And I don't know where I got 26 for your score, EOJ.  Guess you got me.  Make sure to start an HS thread.

Plasmo

55/100
This is probably easier if you're not a native speaker.

gsl

I'd imagine so.  I near kicked myself after the time was up and I saw all the stupid coomon words I didn't think about because they're so ubiquitous in everyday life that I take them for granted.  Non-native speakers would probably be more conscious of such words.

innerpattern

29/100  ???

And it shorted me a few words too arrrggggghh

like GP noted: the answers have a distinct lack of slang.

PROMETHEUS

43/100

definitely bugs, few words I had tried were not counted

gsl

So it wasn't just me then.  When the answers were revealed, there were a couple that I could have sworn I'd already tried.

drboom

Just did it again for yucks and hit 40. Lots of stuff you don't think about in there.

ave

東亜プラン4ライフ

zap

35. Ok, I admit I cheated a little bit by searching for words in the explanation and the ads on the site  :(