Only two more ports after Guwange

Started by EOJ, March 11, 2010, 06:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

According to the latest Cave blog post, once Guwange and DSIIX are released, they plan to port 2 more of their already released arcade games. After this, they plan to shift their development of both XBLA and X360 package titles to include only "completely new games" (this seems to include ports of future Arcade games as well as completely new games made for the X360).

http://cave-game.cocolog-nifty.com/

Surely Daifukkatsu 1.0/1.5/BL is one of the 2 games they plan to port, but what's the other one? Pink Sweets? MMP? Something old and crappy and already in MAME like Esprade (dear God NOOOO!!)?
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

necpmf

So is there any indication of who will be in charge of said "completely new" projects? I want to see some Ikeda-directed games. :righton:

EOJ

My score archive

cstarflare

The only SH3 games left are DFK (+Black Label), MMP, Ibara Kuro, and PS, right? They're the most likely candidates, though I don't think the two Ibaras have much of a chance.

I think reviving an old game is unlikely as it's still an unproven formula for Cave: reviving an old game on XBLA (I assume no pre-SH3 games will get disc treatment) might not be as profitable as they'd like.

In any case, here's hoping that 5pb will want to stay in the game and pick up whatever Cave doesn't want.

EOJ

I'm guessing Daifukkatsu disc release, and MMP XBLA. Perhaps Asada did tell Kotaku about the XBLA MMP port, but they didn't want them to spill the beans yet, so they removed it from their article?

One problem with this scenario is the fact that in Cave's XBLA survey, Esprade was #2, and Pink Sweets was higher than MMP (I think PS was #5, MMP, was #7 or #8).
My score archive

purpbullets

Quote from: EOJ on March 11, 2010, 07:28:58 PM
One problem with this scenario is the fact that in Cave's XBLA survey, Esprade was #2, and Pink Sweets was higher than MMP (I think PS was #5, MMP, was #7 or #8).

thats right on, it was in that order.

neomoe

No offense to Esprade...or any of the other older Cave games...but if the other remaining port is anything other than Pink Sweets or Pork I'll be very disappointed.

Those other games would be great for the DSi  :righton:

brentsg

Just for fun I'm going to take a different angle on this.

They feel that sales on Espgaluda II should have been higher given the popularity of the prequel.  Based on the declining sales trend with the disk-based ports, and the work that they've put in coding and going through the Xbox Live process..  There will be no more disk based ports, only 2 more Xbox Live releases of older games beyond Guwange.  That way they go out on a high note with DS2 for the "traditional" ports, but they can leverage some of the development time for Guwange and spread it across a couple more online-only games.

Elixir

We're forgetting about 5pb and M2! If Cave release Daifukkatsu (pretty sure on this) and either MMP or Pink Sweets, that doesn't mean the other titles are completely out of the question.

Dale

spl

Pink sweets would seem logical right? Since Ibara was already ported to PS2 - wouldn't they be more likely to port a sequel? Then again, who knows what they think.

EOJ

5pb is a possibility, but instead of mentioning any new Cave ports at the recent shooting festa, they said they only have one shooting game planned for 2010, and it's an "original title" (i.e. probably a big pile of crap). Maybe Cave had enough headaches with the DDPDOJBLEX mess and the Ketsui port, and they've washed their hands clean of 5pb?

M2 just ports stuff for Cave (and other companies) if asked. They don't publish games themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if Cave hires them to do one of their remaining 2 ports.

I think there's zero chance one of the two games WON'T be Daifukkatsu. This is because Cave said, long ago when they were planning their first X360 port, their top 3 choices were Deathsmiles, Futari 1.5, and Daifukkatsu (note Galuda 2 wasn't mentioned!). They've ported the first two, all that remains is the last one. They've likely put it off until now due to plans to release the BL version in the arcades. It's also the most recently released of the three, so it's natural that they'd save the port for the end. Finally, every other Cave Donpachi game has gotten a home port.

Quote from: brentsg on March 11, 2010, 08:23:06 PM
There will be no more disk based ports

Asada explicitly mentions both XBLA and disc-based games will continue in their future plans. As they will still be releasing Arcade games, you can bet these will get disc based ports soon after.
My score archive

Monouchi

*prays and prays and prays for a DFK BL disc release ported by M2*

And as the second one I would like to see MMP: :)

emphatic

Quote from: cstarflare on March 11, 2010, 07:24:09 PMIn any case, here's hoping that 5pb will want to stay in the game and pick up whatever Cave doesn't want.

+1

Also, are ARIKA totally out to the equation when it comes to porting CAVE games? Any 360 games from ARIKA yet? It would be nice if they did a port of ESP Ra.De. with an arrange mode using ESPGALUDA scoring, as opposed to the ESPGALUDA PS2 arrange mode.  :righton:

EOJ

Arika ported Tetris the Grandmaster to the X360. They also have some puzzle game on XBLA (Jewel Twinkle something or other). Mihara has said he has no interest in porting any shooters to the current consoles, in large part due to the fact they can't display 240p. Since he's the Vice President of the Arika, if he doesn't want to do it, it ain't happening. You'd have more chance of him making another DS shooter.
My score archive

dmauro

Best case scenario: DFK w/ Black Label (DLC if they feel they need to make a few more bucks on it, cool with me) ported by M2 out by the Holidays :)

Not too excited about anything beyond that since I'm not so into Yagawa, but MMP does look sort of interesting.

lam47

MMP is one of the best looking cave games! I have never played it as I don't think there is one in the UK. Not unless there is one in London I don't know about. I Hope its MMP.

bcass

Quote from: cstarflare on March 11, 2010, 07:24:09 PMI think reviving an old game is unlikely as it's still an unproven formula for Cave: reviving an old game on XBLA (I assume no pre-SH3 games will get disc treatment) might not be as profitable as they'd like.

In any case, here's hoping that 5pb will want to stay in the game and pick up whatever Cave doesn't want.

Interestingly, Arika's Jewelry Master Twinkle is an Xbox Live Indie Game, not an XBLA title.  IIRC, it's the first time a high-profle developer has released an Xbox Live Indie Game.

Eitherway, I reckon this new direction has happened because of dwindling sales of each retail release.  More dedicated titles that really take advantage of the 360 hardware are bound to have more mass-market appeal, plus developers are always looking to work with more advanced tech.  If sales of XBLA Guwange go through the roof though, I'd be surprised if they weren't tempted to release some more of the older titles on that service (or preferably M2).  You all know what you need to do when it gets released.  It's easy to gift XBLA titles too, so make sure you all buy some for friends.  I know some people are anti-download but unless you support this upcoming release, there's zero chance we'll ever see the rest of the older titles (and their variants) ported.

Van_Artic

Danmaku

Quote from: Monouchi on March 12, 2010, 02:18:40 AM

*prays and prays and prays for region freeness*

Monouchi

Quote from: Danmaku on March 12, 2010, 10:40:21 AM

I think you need to study more of the history at this forum and other shmup forums, that will answer a lot of your questions.
For example this from the CAVE blog:

"Thank you for the warm messages from all over the world.
Espgaluda II Black Label Normal Edition is region free.
But I'm afraid new games after Espgaluda II Black Label won't be region free.
I assure you that Espgaluda II Black Label Normal Edition will be the last region free game for the time being.

Cave
Makoto Asada"

Plasmo

As mentioned before many times, DFK 1.5 is a no brainer, incl. BL as DLC of course.
The only surprise title will be the other one. If it's not MMP nor Pink Sweets I'm going to kill myself.
PLEASE do the Yagawa love!!!

Icarus

Quote from: Plasmo on March 12, 2010, 11:02:55 AMThe only surprise title will be the other one. If it's not MMP nor Pink Sweets I'm going to kill myself.
PLEASE do the Yagawa love!!!

Daifukkatsu Black Label will be entertaining to see on the 360, given how much it chokes the arcade hardware in the later stages.
I'm hoping for a fully featured MMP port like their previous 360 releases, with hi-res, Arrange and other stuff. Though I'd be doubly happy with a bare-bones Pink and Pork double-pack. One can but dream, however.

purpbullets

im happy no matter what, but i want Pink Pork more thann anything

Danmaku

Quote from: Monouchi on March 12, 2010, 10:49:55 AM
Quote from: Danmaku on March 12, 2010, 10:40:21 AM

I think you need to study more of the history at this forum and other shmup forums, that will answer a lot of your questions.
For example this from the CAVE blog:

"Thank you for the warm messages from all over the world.
Espgaluda II Black Label Normal Edition is region free.
But I'm afraid new games after Espgaluda II Black Label won't be region free.
I assure you that Espgaluda II Black Label Normal Edition will be the last region free game for the time being.

Cave
Makoto Asada"

Dude, please stop spoon-feeding! I'm very familiar with Asada's Statements and shmups in common, thats why i'm praying ;-)

EOJ

Kindly pray on your own then. I'm getting pretty tired of people posting "please be region free!"/ "Why isn't it region free?" / "Will it be region free?" / "I pray it will be region free!" stuff after Cave has said future titles WON'T be region free.
My score archive

Danmaku

Quote from: EOJ on March 12, 2010, 02:42:25 PM
Kindly pray on your own then. I'm getting pretty tired of people posting "please be region free!"/ "Why isn't it region free?" / "Will it be region free?" / "I pray it will be region free!" stuff after Cave has said future titles WON'T be region free.

Too much sun in Honolulu Mr. Admin?

NR777

I am really hoping MMP is the last port announced.  DFK is a lock.  Cave would be insane to not port the last entry in their flagship franchise.

NR777

Dude, please stop spoon-feeding!

Then stop clogging up threads with irrelevant and futile pleading.  It's really annoying when the same post (or variation thereof) comes up repeatedly in various discussions when it has been made clear by Cave themselves that region free is quite simply not fucking happening from here on out.

Danmaku

Quote from: NR777 on March 12, 2010, 03:09:07 PM
Dude, please stop spoon-feeding!

Then stop clogging up threads with irrelevant and futile pleading.  It's really annoying when the same post (or variation thereof) comes up repeatedly in various discussions when it has been made clear by Cave themselves that region free is quite simply not fucking happening from here on out.

Ever heard of human beings changing their minds?